Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIB cashless banking

Options
  • 14-04-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

Just got a letter saying that...

"From 12th July 2010, your NIB branch will no longer handle cash transactions including over the counter cash withdrawals and lodgements"..

Can someone explain how i can lodge cash in to my account? :rolleyes: This would be fine if they had proper, secure machines that allowed you to lodge cash like in the US but no...

Idiotic move imo and if i can't lodge cash simply i shall be closing my account and moving elsewhere...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Do NIB not have express lodgement boxes?

BOI do, I've not had to go to the counter of a bank in over 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

they do but they're not instant or secure... if i lodge cash i get a confirmation print out & my account is updated within a few minutes..

as far as i know the one in my branch is just a letterbox type system... must actually go in and check as i never actually use it... been unlucky enough to have had a few problems (never going in my favour)...

just last month i lodged a cheque for 180 i think and i noticed the print out said 150... had that been an express lodgement it would be much more difficult & lengthly to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

All banks would love to be out of the cash business - its a very costly service for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

smemon wrote: »
    Just got a letter saying that...

"From 12th July 2010, your NIB branch will no longer handle cash transactions including over the counter cash withdrawals and lodgements"..

Can someone explain how i can lodge cash in to my account? :rolleyes: This would be fine if they had proper, secure machines that allowed you to lodge cash like in the US but no...

Idiotic move imo and if i can't lodge cash simply i shall be closing my account and moving elsewhere...

When was the last time you needed to lodge cash? I can't remember when I last lodged cash into my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Ogham wrote: »
    When was the last time you needed to lodge cash? I can't remember when I last lodged cash into my account.

it's not just lodging cash... what happens if you want to withdraw say €1k...

you can't... credit / debit cards typically have lowish withdrawal limits per day...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can someone explain how i can lodge cash in to my account?

I think the point is that you can't. At least not at that branch of NIB. Unless they've updated their ATM's to accept lodgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

smemon wrote: »
    it's not just lodging cash... what happens if you want to withdraw say €1k...

you can't... credit / debit cards typically have lowish withdrawal limits per day...

Have you ever had a need to withdraw more cash than your ATM will allow?
    When I heard they were going cashless - I thought it was bad - but really it will not cause much of a problem. If you think it will - then just move banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I bank with BOI and have had to lodge or withdraw cash at the counter a few times. I wouldnt not like to see them go cashless. I did if a bank doesn't deal in cash then they are not offering a full service. What would banks like NIB want to be cashless?

Advertisement