Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft - Who don't you want ?

Options
  • 14-04-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Just over a week till the draft and while everyone seems to have an opinion about who they'd like their team to pick, no doubt, especially if your team picks in the top half of the first round, you've also considered who you don't want.

So lets get them out in the open, who do you support and who are you praying that your team doesn't select in the first round. To keep it meaningful, you should be realistic, so consult a few mock drafts on the NFL to see who is being linked with your team, no Saints, Colts or Patriot fans saying they hope they don't select Sam Bradford. You could also say who you hope your team does pick too.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Fav Team: Oakland Raiders
    Hope they don't pick: Bruce Campbell(workout warrior rather than a real player), Bryan Bulaga(some pundits say his short arms remind them of Robert Gallery!), Jason Pierre-Paul
    Hope they pick: Trent Williams(assuming Russell Okung is gone, he's best remaining OT), Eric Berry(playmaker that can play safety or cornerback)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

heyjude wrote: »
    no Saints, Colts or Patriot fans saying they hope they don't select Sam Bradford. You could also say who you hope your team does pick too.

At some point these teams are going to have to recruit replacements for these guys. What the Packer's did with Rodgers looks, now, to be a phenomenal bit of drafting (despite the favre fallout) -- Brady/Bledsoe too, so from now, the Colts need to be looking for the QB of the future. We'll never get another Manning (ever), but if we don't get someone damn good, we're the St Louis Rams. Simple as.

This year, I haven't been following the draft too in-depth, but we need a DT an OT and maybe a guard. I'm not sure, but anyone who's not a lineman is the wrong move, IMO. if we get that right, we can come back as strong this year.

If Suh falls to 31st, we'll have him TYVM :pac:

Edit: Going back to the first point. The impetus for the Colts is to get a running game going. We almost won a championship with a one-dimensional Offense. That won't happen again. we need to adapt fast. A running game is imperative, so with that in mind, I'd favour a Guard, or a Tackle (admittedly, I don't have enough technical knowledge to know what exactly is causing the problems in the run, but i know it's the O-line rather than the backs.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Not entirely certain on the who I dont want category, but I'd like to see the Pats pick up Jordan Shipley in one of the 2nd/3rd round. Extremely impressive as McCoy's go-to-guy at Texas. He'll never be a number one receiver in the NFL, but would make a great slot receiver. Given Welker's injury last year, there's questions over his longevity now, and Shipley has already been cited as a Welker clone. Why not get him in to learn from the master?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

heyjude wrote: »
    Just over a week till the draft and while everyone seems to have an opinion about who they'd like their team to pick, no doubt, especially if your team picks in the top half of the first round, you've also considered who you don't want.

Ryan Leaf. :pac:
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Not entirely certain on the who I dont want category, but I'd like to see the Pats pick up Jordan Shipley in one of the 2nd/3rd round. Extremely impressive as McCoy's go-to-guy at Texas. He'll never be a number one receiver in the NFL, but would make a great slot receiver. Given Welker's injury last year, there's questions over his longevity now, and Shipley has already been cited as a Welker clone. Why not get him in to learn from the master?

Would defintely agree. I was watching stuff of Shipley and am hugely impressed but I don't know enough about the college side of things so I don't know if he'll be good. Looks like a taller, bulkier Welker. I'll be happy if the Patriots take him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Giants first pick is 15
    with the aquisitions of Rolle and Grant our safeties should be a bit better than last year. seeing as we were pathetic there last year that shouldn't be hard. the next biggest hole we have is middle linebacker. If McClain is still there at 15 the Giants will snap him up. I don't think he will be though. some drafts have Giants taking Weatherspoon from Missouri or DT Dan Williams from Tennessee. I think we need LB more than DT so i would prefer Weathersppon to Williams.

Next pick is at 46. I can see Giants trying to add either a Safety or offensive lineman here. We need to get younger on O Line and competition could help some of the veterans to perform better. With doubts over Philips recovery from injury I can see a safety being added here.

Pick 76 would then be used on O Lineman.

After that it's project players

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Not a player as such,but i hope my Colts dont draft anymore defensive backs.
    Not only because of the likes of high pick Marlin Jackson not working out,but we need help on the Offensive and Defensive lines.
    Indy have been crying out for a big body on the Defensive line for years.
    Also the Offensive line needs to be revamped after February's let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

so the Jags are picking at 10...most draft boards seem to have them taking either Derrick Morgan or Jason Pierre-Paul...not that i have anything against either of them, and although the Jags really do need to improve their D-Line (league low 14 sacks), i dont want to see them take a DE....they've brought in Aaron Kampman and still have Reggie Hayward, Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves on the books. and although both Harvey and Groves have had 2 years to fit into the league id still like to give them another year!!! i also dont want to see them take Dez Bryant, and thankfully they've stated they wont be taking him due to his character issues...we are complete busts when it comes to drafting 1st round WRs (Reggie Williams and Matt Jones) so steer clear

who i would like to see us take is Rolando McClain...we've really been lacking an authoritative defensive player since we let go of Mike Peterson. so a nice new defensive captain LB would suit us well. specially since the LB corps was not good last year! i also wouldnt mind seeing them take a QB if Clausen was to fall that far (which i doubt he will), but i think defense is more important for this draft.

also NOT TIM TEBOW!!! unless he somehow falls to us at #74

• Registered Users Posts: 37,753 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is my Patriots mock draft.

22. Sergio Kindle OLB/DE Texas
    44. Golden Tate WR Notre Dame
    47. Traded for late 2nd/early 3rd + late 3rd/early 4th
    53. Tyson Alualu DE California

Traded pick used to select TE Dennis Pitta Oregon and Walter Thurmond CB Oklahoma.

119. Jamar Chaney ILB Mississippi State
    190. Emmanuel Sanders WR Southern Methodist
    205. Charles Scott RB LSU
    229. Hall Davis DE/OLB Louisiana-Lafayette
    231. Zoltan Mesko P Michigan
    247. Nic Richmond OT TCU
    248. Mike Kafka QB Northwestern
    250. Jacques McClendon OG Tennessee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I hope the Chargers focus on a defensive tackle instead of looking to replace LT. They could easily pick up a power running back later on to compliment Sproles. I'd like to see a wide receiver and one or two O-line players before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I hope the Chargers focus on a defensive tackle instead of looking to replace LT. They could easily pick up a power running back later on to compliment Sproles. I'd like to see a wide receiver and one or two O-line players before that though.

Yeah I don't want to see us 'reach' for Jahvid Best at 28 say. Nor do I want Gerhart at 40 (all I can think of is not another effin Jacob Hester). Were someone like Odrick fall then I'd be happy with him (Williams outta Tennessee won't be there), Cody at 40 would be great value not sure about him at 28 though. Blount later on would be nice. Mathews at 28 if none of the top DTs are left and he is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I like Blount, I think he'd be a good fit, as long as he doesn't punch anyone else in the face. Hopefully that incident will push him down the board a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement