Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts....

Options
  • 14-04-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Ok, it goes a little something like this....

I go to bed every night approx the same time (11.00). Every night I wake at the same time and some nights cant get back to sleep. To add to it, I am on a heavy sleeping tablet every night but somehow keep wakening up. Its either four o clock or 5 o clock that I awake. It could be four o clock for one week and then 5 o clock the next week etc.

I have no cause to to wakening up i.e stress etc as I consider my life well balanced and fairly healthy or what i call normal!

To open up the story a bit more.. I have seen 'figures' and some of my items in the bathroom and bedroom go missing only to turn up somewhere else. Im not been forgetful.... I note where i put things to make sure and they disappear! Then reappear roughly about 3 days to a week later.

What I really am wondering is... could the wakening up be cause by... lets say ... a spirit or ghost?
    I would love people who have had experience in this area to reply as I know what the obvious replies are lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd have a chat to the doctor if I were you. It's likely that you've gotten into the habit of waking up at a certain time and now your body is 'trained' to do so. To compound this if you go to bed thinking 'I hope I don't wake up at 5am' you're very likely to wake up around that time because you've been thinking of it. I often wake up 5 minutes before my alarm goes off because my body has been trained to wake up at that time.

It's possible that someone you live with is moving your things, or if you're not getting enough sleep that can affect your memory.

If you're seeing the 'figures' just after you wake it's probably likely that they're the fading remenants of a dream or your mind playing tricks on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i woke up the other morning at 4.44, freaked me out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Have talked to the doc, and hence the sleepin tabs. I go to bed with the hope of falling asleep and not waking up til the alarm goes off. Never happens or hasnt happened for years. The stuff moving in the house is nobody else as i live with himself and he has better things to be doin than playin games with my things! Anyone actually experience or currently Goin thru something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Any chance your a sleep walker or your other half is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

You might just be going to bed too early for your own body. I know if I go to sleep too early eg.11pm, I'll wake up around 4 or 5. Likewise, if I go at about 1 or 2, I'll wake up about 7 or 8. That's just my sleep pattern. Might be something similar with you maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Do you get much exercise? That's what alot of doctors recommend if you've trouble sleeping

Ziycon wrote: »
    Any chance your a sleep walker or your other half is?
    No, we have never found each other walking around. When I wake up I am fully aware.
    Urizen wrote: »
    You might just be going to bed too early for your own body. I know if I go to sleep too early eg.11pm, I'll wake up around 4 or 5. Likewise, if I go at about 1 or 2, I'll wake up about 7 or 8. That's just my sleep pattern. Might be something similar with you maybe?

I thought about this and what i have noticed is when I do get a full nights sleep I feel I could do with more. Im always tired! (not to the effect of a medical affect or lacking deficiency). I have varied the times I go to bed.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Do you get much exercise? That's what alot of doctors recommend if you've trouble sleeping
    Yep, I play a sport 3 evenings a week - thought of that one too.

Thanks for you replies guys.

So nobody thinks there is anything like a spirit involved?
    Im starting to think there should be a few 'spirits' involved before bedtime!

fryup wrote: »
    i woke up the other morning at 4.44, freaked me out a bit

Ya the first time it happened I was a bit freaked.
    Then it started happening so often.... I just didn't care!
    3.33 and also 5.55.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    I thought about this and what i have noticed is when I do get a full nights sleep I feel I could do with more. Im always tired!
    Do you snore?
    So nobody thinks there is anything like a spirit involved?
    Im starting to think there should be a few 'spirits' involved before bedtime!
    Generally people are wary of saying that here (in spite of the forum name. ;) ) Its a bit like giving medical advice. No one knows for sure whats going on, and the sensible thing to do is to rule out everything else first. Once all the obvious and 'real' reasons are ruled out, then perhaps you look for a paranormal cause.

It is normal to wake up at a certain time each night. Its also common not to get restful sleep, which is why I ask if you snore.

You say you see figures. Could you elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Does your medication have any known sideaffects?
    Maybe google it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Just a thought: did you see figures often before you started taking the sleeping tablets? Could your mind maybe be a little blurry when you wake from a deep sleep? I know myself that I am quite groggy if I have taken a sleeping tablet, and maybe, just maybe, your vision could a bit blurred? I am not discounting a spirit presence at all, but I can tell you that in experience with figures, shadows and/or spirits, everything I have witnessed has been when I am fully awake, not in bed and usually not in the middle of the night or early morning.
    I think the person mentioning body-clock situations is right. Additionally, the older you get (without knowing how old you are!!) the less sleep you need - at least I think if I went to sleep at 11 in the evening, I would be bright eyed and bushy tailed by 7am. I can't help but suspect this is just an insomnia issue. Don't know about the missing objects, but I lose things all the time and don't pay much attention to it.... good luck!

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you snore?

Generally people are wary of saying that here (in spite of the forum name. ;) ) Its a bit like giving medical advice. No one knows for sure whats going on, and the sensible thing to do is to rule out everything else first. Once all the obvious and 'real' reasons are ruled out, then perhaps you look for a paranormal cause.

It is normal to wake up at a certain time each night. Its also common not to get restful sleep, which is why I ask if you snore.

You say you see figures. Could you elaborate?

I dont snore.
    As for the spirit remark, I suppose i should be a little more sensitive.... maybe my humour is a bit off!
    bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Does your medication have any known sideaffects?
    Maybe google it.

Good idea, will do that, thanks
    Rasmus wrote: »
    Just a thought: did you see figures often before you started taking the sleeping tablets? Could your mind maybe be a little blurry when you wake from a deep sleep? I know myself that I am quite groggy if I have taken a sleeping tablet, and maybe, just maybe, your vision could a bit blurred? I am not discounting a spirit presence at all, but I can tell you that in experience with figures, shadows and/or spirits, everything I have witnessed has been when I am fully awake, not in bed and usually not in the middle of the night or early morning.
    I think the person mentioning body-clock situations is right. Additionally, the older you get (without knowing how old you are!!) the less sleep you need - at least I think if I went to sleep at 11 in the evening, I would be bright eyed and bushy tailed by 7am. I can't help but suspect this is just an insomnia issue. Don't know about the missing objects, but I lose things all the time and don't pay much attention to it.... good luck!

My accounts of spirits are 24/7 and do not occur at a particular time.
    I mostly see outlines in black or white. The odd time I may see a clearer description. As for sounds, my sense with them is very stronge.
    I can predict with my dreams but I do not remember them all. Another family member is very accurate with their dreams.

I suppose I am really asking the question... is it possible to be woken by spirits while you sleep? Im not saying here that when you are woken up that you see or hear spirits but merely that it could be a possible that they like to wake you up!:)

It might be helpful to discuss spiritual development with someone (just generally, so you know what goes on when someone develops), as you seem to have an interest and you feel that this could be whats happening to you.

I really dont want to get into whether spirits are waking you up with so little background or information.:) Without having a proper conversation about it it could just feed your imagination* and youd feel worse instead of better.

*not saying for a moment youre imagining anything, but it might cause you to.

It might be helpful to discuss spiritual development with someone (just generally, so you know what goes on when someone develops), as you seem to have an interest and you feel that this could be whats happening to you.

I really dont want to get into whether spirits are waking you up with so little background or information.:) Without having a proper conversation about it it could just feed your imagination* and youd feel worse instead of better.

*not saying for a moment youre imagining anything, but it might cause you to.

Your spot on there Oryx.
    I have a huge interest in this and am confident that what I am experiencing is real however my logic side often makes me question if I am actually going insane. This is why I posted. I was hoping that some posters may be experiencing something along a similar line as me (in relation to the spirits rather than insomnia) and would post about it here.
    However some of the experiences Ive had makes me believe without a shadow of a doubt that i am not going insane.

It is definitely something I want to develop and maybe will.

I spent years thinking (and being told) I was going insane. So far, I dont think I have. :D

I can relate to some of the things you say, but as I mentioned above, I cant get into it here, because I really feel you need to talk about this stuff face to face. But relax, youre definitely not alone.

Many people looking to develop miss the most important step at first though, and that is how to shut it all out. Doing that enables you to leave all this stuff to one side when you need to, so you can live your life, and get some sleep! And I think that would be important for you right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Ya the first time it happened I was a bit freaked.
    Then it started happening so often.... I just didn't care!
    3.33 and also 5.55.
    you mean tell us ..you wake up at exactly these times?? now that is creepy

I spent years thinking (and being told) I was going insane. So far, I dont think I have. :D

I can relate to some of the things you say, but as I mentioned above, I cant get into it here, because I really feel you need to talk about this stuff face to face. But relax, youre definitely not alone.

Many people looking to develop miss the most important step at first though, and that is how to shut it all out. Doing that enables you to leave all this stuff to one side when you need to, so you can live your life, and get some sleep! And I think that would be important for you right now.

I have been shutting it out for years but recently I have become more open and 'allowing' activity to happen. I feel the first step (if i want to explore this further) is to maybe let myself become open to it.

I have shut it out for years because I was told that it didn't exist or that is was 'all in my head' etc. Comments like these made me not talk about it and just ignore it.

I would love to talk to someone about it but do not know anybody in this area.

fryup wrote: »
    you mean tell us ..you wake up at exactly these times?? now that is creepy

It has happened a number of times alright. I just laugh at it. I suppose you could say its creepy but Im use to creepy things and so my reaction is laughter! Its that or become a nervous wreck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

See your Doctor he/she (sorry can't recall if you said if the Dr. was maleor female - not that it matters) will address the sleep problem I woke at 3 or 4 every morning for years but got sorted and don't take a sleeping tablet. Pills can actually add to the problem. Speak to the Doc and forget the ghost nonsense. Sorry if you believe in it but it's not real.

See your Doctor he/she (sorry can't recall if you said if the Dr. was maleor female - not that it matters) will address the sleep problem I woke at 3 or 4 every morning for years but got sorted and don't take a sleeping tablet. Pills can actually add to the problem. Speak to the Doc and forget the ghost nonsense. Sorry if you believe in it but it's not real.

I cant agree with you on this one. Experience and also becoming open minded makes it difficult to simply say no of it is real.

I have been speaking with my doc for years about the sleep or lack of it. This is not something that just started to happen. I have been on all sorts of herbal, non medical and medical tablets. Talked to the sun moon and stars about it. Have a good diet, regular exercise and have done everything else that I think could help.

The power of elimination has narrowed down the list of possibilities. With the combination of my experiences and my realisation of the experiences I am now exploring other areas - open minded.

It may prove to be fruitful or a dead end. Either way its worth exploring, I think anyway.

• Advertisement

ticktactoe, can you meditate? It might help with both aspects.

Not sure if you want to say where you are based on thread, so cant really advise where you could go to talk to someone about all this.

Ticktactoe, does this occur no matter where you sleep? In a hotel, for example?

You tried switching rooms in your house?

Might be an idea to move this thread to the sleeping/dreaming forum (whatever it is), cos lots of people with sleep problems seem to post there.

Dave! wrote: »
    Ticktactoe, does this occur no matter where you sleep? In a hotel, for example?

You tried switching rooms in your house?

Might be an idea to move this thread to the sleeping/dreaming forum (whatever it is), cos lots of people with sleep problems seem to post there.

Good question Dave and from what I can recall, no. It just seems to happen in my own house. But it is definitely one to think about more, thanks.

I was more trying to look at this from a paranormal angle rather than a lack of sleep angle however if you feel it would be better to move it to the sleep/dreaming forum then that maybe a good idea.
    TBH I dont think I am going to find out what I am looking for, as Orxy said I maybe better off talking face-to-face to someone experienced in this area. :)

ticktactoe, can you meditate? It might help with both aspects.

Not sure if you want to say where you are based on thread, so cant really advise where you could go to talk to someone about all this.

Dont really know how to meditate but I do the odd time try to be alone with my thoughts in a quite room. However that opens another can of worms in the 'spirit' sense so most of the time I keep busy and make noise!

I am from the Roscommon area (South). Dont know of anyone around me who is experienced in this.

I think you should look at it from whatever angle gets you more sleep mate ;)

Try sleeping in a different room and see how you get on -- try to rule out any environmental factors before you start looking for ghosts and the likes. Is it too cold? Too warm? Bed too hard? Soft? etc.

Advertisement