Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amitabha Buddha

Options
  • 14-04-2010 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi everyone I'm not buddhist and dont practice the meditation of buddhism, yet my interest lay in a similar direction...I'm wondering if anyone has any information on Amitabha Buddha, and what he means to general buddhists? Would he be generally considered to be a Godlike figure?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

Hi everyone I'm not buddhist and dont practice the meditation of buddhism, yet my interest lay in a similar direction...I'm wondering if anyone has any information on Amitabha Buddha, and what he means to general buddhists? Would he be generally considered to be a Godlike figure?

Checked wikipedia?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If I met him I would kill him.

(metaphorically)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Yes Though am looking for someone here's perspective really. Blackhorse slim...just let it go man

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

The short answer to your question is "No" - Buddhists don't see Buddha as a God-like figure, although they may worship his kindness, compassion, wisdom, guidance and may even ask for his help the way you may ask your dead grandmother for help.

The long answer is that people project their own image, opinions and ideas on God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha - just as they do with their neighbors and celebrities. It is what the mind does. Buddhists, I am sure, at times fall into the same trap, but in general strive to free themselves of all thoughts, beliefs, ideas, opinions, attachments, - even, and especially, regarding Buddha. That is where the koan (a contradiction that is meant as a teaching) "When you meet the Buddha in the road, kill him!" comes from.

I see, sorry blackhorse slim I just thought you were some kind of looney :~)

So there is a devotional energy towards Amitabha Buddha. I heard somewhere in the past that Gautama Buddha said That no being can cleanse your Karma, except Amitabha Buddha The infinite Source of Love and Light. So where I got muddled is the reference to the INFINITE SOURCE of Love and Light. Infinite and Source would seem like the Place that Love comes from. This from other religions would half Imply the Divine Source etc..

I stand corrected here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP, I've read before there are some buddhists who worship amitabha buddha as a god figure. I think it's the Pure Land sect.
    It's not common though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amit%C4%81bha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Land_Buddhism

After reading the second article it does seem that it is quite large enough in the east.I'm just wondering in general what would be the branch of buddhism mainly practised here in Ireland? A quick google search of buddhism in Ireland brings forth a lot of seemingly different branches. Would this be because Buddhism isn't controlled like say Christianity or is it because there are differences in the interpretations of the teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

As Buddhism spread throughout Asia, geographical distance and the needs of the population, more than doctrinal dispute led to the creation of many of the different sects. Added to this, local beliefs and culture also got blended in. This is a common characteristic seen in Eastern religions because in general they are tolerant of other beliefs and do not wish to destroy the native religion.

There are two main divisions in Buddhism, Mahayana and Hinayana Buddhism and these are are primarily divided based on philosophical difference. Non the less, both Mahayana and Hinayana Buddhism are very diverse and encompass numerous schools and views. Despite the diversity of traditions, all of the sects can/mostly do agree on the core teachings of the Buddha, it is the philosophical disputes that are harder to reconcile. The bottom line is that there is more that the traditions have in common than that they differ on.

The three main reasons why Buddhism is not as controlled as say Christianity is that (1) there are a multitude of divers sects, and (2) there is no "original" Buddhism that can be discover by looking at the texts, Sutras or historical evidence because of the manner in which the teachings were passed along and the way in which Buddhism spread. There is a limit to how far back one can look with any certainty. The earliest texts can only give us an indication of what the earliest Buddhists were concerned with and how they practiced. And the major reason (3) in essence Buddhism is a somewhat private practice in that the primary focus is on enlightening oneself to the truth. This truth is not written in a book. We have to uncover it ourselves.

Thanks Asiaprod...very interesting read and well put together :)

Advertisement