Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings in Cavan

Options
  • 14-04-2010 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi - I'm hoping to book a venue for a wedding in 2011 in Cavan. Looking for somewhere that we can have to ourselves for the day and with an area for people staying for day 2 to hang around (majority of guests will not be living in Cavan).
    Reckon that the Slieve Russell is too big and that The Radisson does not have the hanging around area.
    Hotel also needs to have a reasonable policy on The Residents Bar (ie: for guests not staying in the hotel).
    We're considering the Crover House, Hotel Kilmore and maybe Park Hotel in Virginia but we haven't been to weddings or stayed in these venues so looking for opinions/reviews.

Also any ideas on how to get a handle on parents wanting to invite half the country to a small wedding!!

Any info you have would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

not sure what you mean by a 'hanging around area' but have you tried looking a the cavan crystal? some of the other hotels such are kilmore and crover look at bit dated and don't have a lot of rooms if you are bring a lot people from outside the area. the food fantastic there too and would recommend the place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I had my wedding in Crover and loved it. There are a lot of b&bs around too so plenty of places for people to stay. We stayed an extra day too and were well looked after by the staff.

The only issue I had was not with the hotel but with the minibus service we arranged from the hotels recommended list. The minibus company, I cannot remember the name, had agreed to come and collect guests and bring them to their b&bs and other hotels. I had offered to pay beforehand but was advised just to leave it for the guests as it would only be €4 a head and it would be too awkward to know how many they would be transporting beforehand.

Well my guests were charged €10 a head and the bus brought them to a nightclub to pick other punters up first before bringing them home so if you do go for it and decide to arrange transport to b&bs make sure you know what you are getting.

Hotel wise it was pretty much to ourselves on the day, the main bar was reserved and obviously the function room along with the smaller rooms, they did open the smaller bar for regulars but I honestly cant remember seeing anyone other than guests on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bubbles747

I have mine booked in crover house hotel and it was the pick of the bunch definatly, and i went through all local hotels. they seem to have the best rates too.

I did like the Cavan Crystal but they were booked out. Crover has great grounds for photographs and even indoors works great for photos, very charachteristic, it may be old style but its not dirty old, very well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Cant comment on the other hotels as not from the area but we went to a wedding in Cavan Crystal at the end of last year and loved it.

From a guests point of view the rooms were lovely, and got a good deal for 2 nights b&b and one dinner, food in the restaurant was lovely. Everything on the day of the wedding was great ,food was lovely and service great.

Cant comment on prices or anything either though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Just on the Radisson they have some lovely houses out the back of the hotel, Which you can rent and stay in. We Rented a couple of these and had a big Party 40+ people in on of then. They are really beautiful house and perfect for a party.

emc2 wrote: »
    Just on the Radisson they have some lovely houses out the back of the hotel, Which you can rent and stay in. We Rented a couple of these and had a big Party 40+ people in on of then. They are really beautiful house and perfect for a party.

I tried there too but found that the function room was just that bit too small for us. Half the size of crover or less even, stunning location though with plenty of photo opportunities. The room prices were very high though but with a bit of bargaining we were able to bring this down a bit but we did change our ninds in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭celt262

I have heard that residents bar in Crover is for residents only but have never been at a wedding there. The residents bar in Kilmore will serve any of the guests.

celt262 wrote: »
    I have heard that residents bar in Crover is for residents only but have never been at a wedding there. The residents bar in Kilmore will serve any of the guests.

So they say, all residents bars in hotels are for residents only, otherwise they would not be allowed to serve drinks after hours. The only time guests who are not staying in a hotel get served in a residents bar is if they pretend they are staying there.

Advertisement