Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office 2010 Beta; Plz Help!

Options
  • 14-04-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Guys,

I have just downloaded the 2010 Beta, each suite isn't showing up on my machine. On the website it says you have to put in the product kept supplied after download the following way:

To complete your MAK activation process, please follow the steps below:
    • Open any Office 2010 Beta application currently installed on your computer.
    • In the Ribbon, click the File tab to open the Microsoft Office Backstage view.
    • Click the Help tab and then Change product key link.
    • Enter the MAK product key provided to you during your downloaded of Office 2010 Beta. Select the box to activate 2010 automatically and restart the application to complete activation
    After I click the help tab under file, there is no 'change product key for me'

I've spent the better part of the last hour trying to get online support from microsoft and its not happening, the stuff posted on the support sites/resource site are no help and for me to email them they want a few hundred euro... has anyone else come across the same problem? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What is on the right hand half of the pane under Help? Take a screen shot if you would.

110755.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12 big_d

During installation there was never a point where I had to put in the product key provided after downloading the installation file. On the site it says something along the lines that I need input it after installation to unlock all the parts of office... all I have access to is excel, word, power point, one note and outlook. Also there is a pop up constantly appearing (highlighted on the screenshot with a black box). When I go to click on the icon in the taskbar/pop up, it dissapears.

ss1.jpg

here I hope this one is better quality

testicle wrote: »
    What is on the right hand half of the pane under Help? Take a screen shot if you would.

110755.png
    I noticed you're using Office Professional Plus, this must be the full version as the one I installed is Office Home & Office, I did a bit of research, this one is limited to the programms I outlined in my above statement. Im currently installing professional plus. Hopefull works the way I need it to.

Thanks again for the reply testicle.
    Big_D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yours is already activated. You don't need to put in the product key.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

I downloaded 2010 beta last year and got a key in the usual way and it was working OK. After a month or two, it was looking for a key again. I searched microsoft.com for a fix, and they were publishing what seemed to be a "generic key" (ie same key for everybody to get the problem off the list of issues) as a fix, to make this trial software work again.

One suspects that they did something in microsoftupdate which messed up the product activation at some stage.

Microsoft is a very screwed up company. The beta product expires when the final version ships - so why bother with this stupid product key bureaucracy for the trial version?

Big is bad. Monopoly is bad. Complicated is bad. Big monopolies, obsessed with bureaucratically complicated procedures are badness to the nth power!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

probe wrote: »
    Microsoft is a very screwed up company. The beta product expires when the final version ships - so why bother with this stupid product key bureaucracy for the trial version?

Big is bad. Monopoly is bad. Complicated is bad. Big monopolies, obsessed with bureaucratically complicated procedures are badness to the nth power!
    *yawn*

No one forced you to accept the ELUA :p

It's at this point you are supposed to remind everyone that this sort of thing doesn't happen with free open source software because there are no serial numbers or activation.

Microsoft have shareholders so they have a legal duty to continually make money. And they have shown they are good at that. And that keeps the shareholders happy. And at the end of the day that's what really matters in the world of commerce.

Advertisement