Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we get some political representation?

Options
  • 13-04-2010 11:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Seems like smokers are the only stakeholder in society that doesn't have any interests representing them at the national level. Every conceivable group in the country has some kind of lobbying forum. Yet every year the government introduces new taxes, forcing the cigarette trade further and deeper into the black market, where its now at the stage that around 20% of smokers buy in the black market.

P.S. 'Thank you for Smoking' was a great film!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Good idea, unfortunatley the usual PC busybody brigade would make Joe Duffy explode with the sheer number of complaints. I can just imagine how that shower of 'lovely people' in ASH would react to the formation of such an organisation.

I think there's one in the UK though, can't be that influential though tbh, we probably would have heard about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

It would be hard to find politicians willing to represent smokers in the current economic climate tbh, smoking is viewed as an ''unsavoury pastime'' by large sections of society.. I don't see political representation for smokers going down well with the public.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

guys ........we know we should'nt b doing it , and theres no rational, in all fairness, that could win any debate on the subject ! :eek:..........well thats from the lungs !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

guys ........we know we should'nt b doing it , and theres no rational, in all fairness, that could win any debate on the subject ! :eek:..........well thats from the lungs !!!!

Oh I know that, all I'd want is a body representing us against these constant price rises. I don't want to buy on the black market, but the government forces my hand by making the price of tobacco uneconomical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I think it would be good to have someone representing our interests. Nobody ever pretests about ciggarette price hykes in the Gov because they believe it to be too bad for their image (is what I'd assume). I don't understand the rationale behind the taxes anyway. We're told that it is to pay for the healthcare of smoker's if they suffer a smoking related illness. But do we not pay taxes like every one else (income tax and the likes etc). Does this not pay for the healthcare? Why should we have to pay extra tax on top of that?Why not start charging €8.50 for a tub of butter or pack of rashers because they cause high cholesterol? And what of people who have private insurance?

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

GA361 wrote: »
    I think it would be good to have someone representing our interests. Nobody ever pretests about ciggarette price hykes in the Gov because they believe it to be too bad for their image (is what I'd assume). I don't understand the rationale behind the taxes anyway. We're told that it is to pay for the healthcare of smoker's if they suffer a smoking related illness. But do we not pay taxes like every one else (income tax and the likes etc). Does this not pay for the healthcare? Why should we have to pay extra tax on top of that?Why not start charging €8.50 for a tub of butter or pack of rashers because they cause high cholesterol? And what of people who have private insurance?

/rant

Well said. I've had this argument many times in the boozer but it usually comes back to "smokes are just bad for you"!!!!!!!

Imagine the price of a pint went up to €8.50 to combat drink driving! There'd be war. Vintners association shutting down streets of Dublin and talk of destroying the social fabric of the country!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

+ 1.
    Vote Irish Smokers Party in the next general election

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Nominate me as President. I'd imagine we'd get between 9 - 10 seats and earn a place on the coalition government.

Our one and only policy - free fags for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Denerick wrote: »
    Nominate me as President. I'd imagine we'd get between 9 - 10 seats and earn a place on the coalition government.

Our one and only policy - free fags for all.

lol, I'd thank you but you need at least 25 before you can do that lol

Advertisement