Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right turn onto Auburn Ave...on the never never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Wonder will it ever be re-opened?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's not that bad really going up and down the slip at the train station. The only problem is sometimes the lights can be a complete pain when they get out of sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Random wrote: »
    It's not that bad really going up and down the slip at the train station. The only problem is sometimes the lights can be a complete pain when they get out of sequence.

The problem is the extra volume on the N3 and in Castleknock these days. Even last week it was taking 10-15 mins to get from the Bell to the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Fail to see when traffic lights where put in here anyway. Two roundabouts would surely have been cheaper and more effective.:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Fail to see when traffic lights where put in here anyway. Two roundabouts would surely have been cheaper and more effective.:confused:

Roundabouts would be effective if anyone knew how or had the manners to use them properly. The previous roundabout was a disaster.

• Advertisement

If it's a choice between signal junction or signal roundabout I'll take junction anyday. The road is far too busy for a roundabout.

They should of course have an overpass / underpass but alas .. this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Roundabouts do not work well

a. in close proximity to eachother,
    b. where traffic flows at each entrance are not rougly equal, and
    c. where their flow is halted by traffic lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Also where the number of lanes changes as you go around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Your kidding me? For me coming from the river road - I used to go straight across and now I have to drive down the N3 - often hitting trafic - then across the bridge where only three cars at a time go through the lights - then back down the N3 - again hitting trafic.

So I don't get how you say its not bad really :rolleyes:

Or in the afternoon I have to come from work via the M50 ... and I really hit the sh1te traffic on the N3 then ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I agree there is no real need to have the lights there as the volume of traffic is usually very light. Personally I usually take the risk and just ignore those lights as the visibility is fine, although I know someday an unmarked police car will see me doing it.

• Advertisement

traffic from river road and auburn would never get onto the n3 at peak times had there not been traffic lights in place ef. i'm not sure what you mean exactly?

littlebitdull - would rarely go down the river road so didn't take that side of things into account either i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

traffic from river road and auburn would never get onto the n3 at peak times had there not been traffic lights in place ef. i'm not sure what you mean exactly?

I was talking about the traffic lights at the phoenix park train station so we may not be singing from the same hymn sheet.

Anytime I have used that train station I have been left sitting there for a good while at a red light with clearly no sign of traffic coming up the sliproad to my left or exiting the train station opposite, so I personally think they could remove the lights altogether at the entrance and exit to the train station and just let the traffic come to its own arrangement.

sorry, think we're all on a different page. traffic lights beat roundabout at auburn / river road. as for the train station ... sensors on the lights or 2 mini roundabouts i guess would work better. as we have the lights there now i'll take sensors that work.

According to the radio this morning the right turn from the N3 inbound to Auburn Avenue will NOT be re-instated :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Wonder will it ever be re-opened?:(

Temporary becomes permanent :D

The whole Blanch N3/M50 junction is a disaster. I've been avoiding it for years. The only time I'll go near it is when its really off peak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I though that the plan was if you're coming from M50 direction, take the slip road off to the left, under the new bridge, and emerge on New Dunsink Lane in front of the original gates to Little Chef. Turn right down the hill, and then straight through to Auburn avenue.
    This at least means you're not sitting on a very busy road waiting to turn right (or get creamed from behind, whichever comes first).
    The road markings and traffic lights are all in place there now, it looks very close to being ready to open up that junction again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Gaspode wrote: »
    I though that the plan was if you're coming from M50 direction, take the slip road off to the left, under the new bridge, and emerge on New Dunsink Lane in front of the original gates to Little Chef. Turn right down the hill, and then straight through to Auburn avenue.

Yea, I think that's the plan as well. Although it does make me wonder a bit more what you're meant to do if coming from the N3. Are they expecting you to come off at Blanch and then go through the M50 roundabout to get to that slip road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hey folks just saw the following on Joan Burton's website.
    http://www.joanburton.ie/?postid=1379
    Joan Burton TD welcomes the opening of the next phase of the M50 N3 upgrade.

Regular users of the N3 Navan Road have become accustomed to the road works that have been part of the M50 and Auburn Ave upgrade over the last two years will be delighted to hear that from next Tuesday 13th July, the Auburn Avenue Junction will be re-opened in full when the new traffic lights signals and junction lay-out comes into operation.

The following day Wednesday 14th at 06:00am a significant inbound section of the M50 intersection (Dublin City direction) will be opened to motorists, I have included a map which you can download to see the operation of the new intersection lay out in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Hey folks just saw the following on Joan Burton's website.
    http://www.joanburton.ie/?postid=1379
    It still looks like you cannot turn right onto Auburn Ave (see yellow route in map)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

daymobrew wrote: »
    It still looks like you cannot turn right onto Auburn Ave (see yellow route in map)

The Auburn junction is a complete dogs dinner, even after the upgrade. If Fingal Co. Co. had their act together they would have upgraded the Auburn Ave junction to include a fly over and slip roads so that the junction would be free flow and not dependent on traffic lights.

daymobrew wrote: »

you can if you are coming off the current M50 roundabout - by going up the new road I mentioned a couple of posts back.
    However, if you are fed onto the new underpass (which you will be if you are coming from further away than the scotts junction, you miss that little road and have to go up via the railway station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Gaspode wrote: »
    you can if you are coming off the current M50 roundabout - by going up the new road I mentioned a couple of posts back.
    However, if you are fed onto the new underpass (which you will be if you are coming from further away than the scotts junction, you miss that little road and have to go up via the railway station.

On the flyers they're handing out at the junction this evening, they still have you going up to the train station to come back down the other side to get from the N3 inbound to Auburn Avenue.

Changes due tomorrow delayed due to unforeseen circumstances according to Live Drive this evening on DCFM :confused:

www.aaroadwatch.ie have confirmed the same athtrasna. they say they expect it done by weeks end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

athtrasna wrote: »
    Changes due tomorrow delayed due to unforeseen circumstances according to Live Drive this evening on DCFM :confused:

Well I passed through the junction last night and later on this afternoon and didn't think it was anywhere near ready for opening by tomorrow morning. So it looks like it's going to be more delays for a couple of days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

the new road is open and i think its great, it took me 15 minutes to get from Warrenstown to the Phoenix park this morning instead of the usual 40 minutes. Long may this continue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Well I have to add that I too am delighted with the new junction. I am coming from the river road direction, and to get to my child's school I want to be able to go straight and so am glad to see we can.

I guess if your coming from blanch its a little more messy, but you just have to remember to head off on the new slip road to 'dunsink' then you can turn right at the end of that and go straight. its just gonna be a case of getting into a new habit.

I went by the junction on the 39 twice yesterday between 4 and 6:30pm, and on each occasion there were at least 3 cars queuing to turn right onto Auburn avenue despite the bloody big no right turn sign!

There were others doing the less dangerous but still not ideal thing of turning left onto New Dunsink Lane, and doing a U-turn immediately so that they could then drive straight across onto Auburn Avenue.

Could be messy here for a while.

• Advertisement

I don't use these major junctions that often. But always wondered why these new junctions are often not intuitive. Then it clicked today. A lot of the time, they've put the exit to go left on the right and the exit to go left on the right. It also means because the lanes then have to cross each other than one has to be elevated or dropped a lot more than you'd expect.

Advertisement