Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Commune

Options
  • 13-04-2010 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a commune to spend the Summer in. I feel the need to get off the reckless lifestyle loop I've been stuck in, and get back to the land and clarity.

I've been looking over the internet and I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know of any?! It would be a great help!

Oh and I had no idea where to put this post so I just went for Sustainability!

:D

Thanks!!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Isn't there one in Kinsale?
    I seem to remember seeing a load of yurts in the woods near Charles Fort down there a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

If not scared of hard work you could do WWOOF? (Willing Works On Organic Farms), you'd live on site, and a lot of them are fully devoted to the lifestyle, in smallholdings that are sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

As another poster suggested I think wwoofing would be right up your street. This might not be your thing but if you enjoy working with people and helping others you could look into living and working with a camphill community. These are sort of life-sharing, sustainable living communities helping people with disabilities which are dotted all over the world. Here is a link to the Irish website anyway.

http://www.camphill.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rainbow music

Thank you for the link for Camphill - that's great, never heard of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

I'm looking for people that would be interested in starting our own commune, with our own ideas and ways of doing things.

It just makes so much sense, in the world we live in where over consumption is the norm and people are very much closed off from each other. Why buy 10 washing machines, cookers, whatever, for 10 different households when you could have one really good one and share with people, living and working together.

Most people today probably don't even know their neighbours' names, we've lost that sense of community in a lot of places. Many families hardly even eat meals together, overall we're becoming more and more isolated and individualistic.

Anyway, enough with the diatribe! Anyone know where would be the best place to find people interested in getting started?

• Advertisement

You spoke my mind...

It seems so difficult to find like minded people who would be open to starting their own community...Maybe I haven't been trying hard enough though.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to find a great place, create a good harmonizing community, grow your own organic food, share, have fun and live life to the full?

I know of at least 3-4 people who feel the same.....

Maybe it's just a matter of getting it started........ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭McCruiskeen

Hippie Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You spoke my mind...

It seems so difficult to find like minded people who would be open to starting their own community...Maybe I haven't been trying hard enough though.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to find a great place, create a good harmonizing community, grow your own organic food, share, have fun and live life to the full?

I know of at least 3-4 people who feel the same.....

Maybe it's just a matter of getting it started........ :)

That's the thing, finding people who all have the same vision and are actually committed to getting it started and making it work is the hard part! Some people say oh it's a nice idea, but it's not going to materialise unless steps are taken to make it happen, and I do think it can work if done properly

...or you have people like the above comment going on about hippies. You go it wrong mate but that's ok. As long as you can accept that not everyone wants to live like it's expected and that we have a freedom of choice. Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

It's not exactly a commune but Cultivate have started up an environmentally friendly community in CloughJordan:

http://www.thevillage.ie/

• Advertisement

Thank you! :)

taconnol wrote: »
    It's not exactly a commune but Cultivate have started up an environmentally friendly community in CloughJordan:

http://www.thevillage.ie/

It seems to be just another housing estate but "greened", not trying to be negative, it's certainly an improvement on the ghost estates thrown up the past few years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

taibhse wrote: »
    It seems to be just another housing estate but "greened", not trying to be negative, it's certainly an improvement on the ghost estates thrown up the past few years

Not exactly. There is a CSA initiative through a community farm:

http://www.thevillage.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=12

I also think there are a few other initiative going on as well as the different atmosphere when you have like-minded individuals living together.

There are little steps you can take, where I live we have numerous community gardens, at least three I think. The one I am involved in is fantastic. We grow everything together and share out the produce as well as have our own market stall where the money goes back to pay for seeds, polytunnel etc. We also meet together every week and have a communal meal. Why not look into joining in one in your area, or setting one up if there isn't one already?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Truley wrote: »
    There are little steps you can take, where I live we have numerous community gardens, at least three I think. The one I am involved in is fantastic. We grow everything together and share out the produce as well as have our own market stall where the money goes back to pay for seeds, polytunnel etc. We also meet together every week and have a communal meal. Why not look into joining in one in your area, or setting one up if there isn't one already?
    Truley, not looking for your details or anything (honestly!) but your comment about community gardens caught my attention. Could you tell us a bit more about it, particularly how they started, and how you got the land etc please?

Jelly2 wrote: »
    Truley, not looking for your details or anything (honestly!) but your comment about community gardens caught my attention. Could you tell us a bit more about it, particularly how they started, and how you got the land etc please?

No problem! Well the one I am involved with in Sligo has been going for about four years now. It was initally funded by the Dept of Agriculture and the HSE. I don't know much about how it started up or how we got the land as I have only been involved in the last year. I do know we had to turn people away because demand for getting involved was so high! I guess the first step would be organising a meeting in your local area to gauge the level of interest. You will find alot of people with plenty of knowledge and skills and even gardens of their own will want to get involved as it is a great way of meeting likeminded people and sharing tips.

A quick google has taken me to this link:
    http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/community_food_project

Hopefully this will give you a bit more info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Truley wrote: »
    No problem! Well the one I am involved with in Sligo has been going for about four years now. It was initally funded by the Dept of Agriculture and the HSE. I don't know much about how it started up or how we got the land as I have only been involved in the last year. I do know we had to turn people away because demand for getting involved was so high! I guess the first step would be organising a meeting in your local area to gauge the level of interest. You will find alot of people with plenty of knowledge and skills and even gardens of their own will want to get involved as it is a great way of meeting likeminded people and sharing tips.

A quick google has taken me to this link:
    http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/community_food_project

Hopefully this will give you a bit more info :)

Thank you so much! Definitely worth checking out for my area.

Jelly2 wrote: »
    Thank you so much! Definitely worth checking out for my area.

Keep us posted on how you get on! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

x2:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

x2:D
    This isn't AH - if you've nothing to contribute, then don't post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Tr3eHugger wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently looking for a commune to spend the Summer in. I feel the need to get off the reckless lifestyle loop I've been stuck in, and get back to the land and clarity.

I've been looking over the internet and I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know of any?! It would be a great help!

Oh and I had no idea where to put this post so I just went for Sustainability!

:D

Thanks!!! :D

http://www.findhorn.org/whatwedo/community/community.php

This may be just what you're looking for, Findhorn has been going for almost 50 yrs now so has plenty of experience!

Advertisement