Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Ready! NEEDING A LIST!

Options
  • 13-04-2010 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

Just planning on picking up little bits as i go along but i noticed that Mothercare have a sale on for babygrows, sleep suits etc.. Im only 18 weeks now and unsure about what i actually need to have at home for when the baby arrives! Like how many vests, short and long sleeved, sleep suits... blankets, cot/moses sheets???

Im a lost cause without a experienced mummys advice! Help! :o

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You need very little for bringing baby home,so many people buy clothes as presents that if you buy a lot that you will find you might have too much.
    You definitely need some blankets,cellular ones seem to the the best,Guineys have nice ones of different sizes and are very cheap and have not had ant issues with quality.
    Buying a buggy is like buying a car you need to write out a list of needs...small boot,walks on the beach,pot holes,light weight,travel system, etc etc.
    Set your budget!!
    I splurged on the travel system and stage 1 car seat but was economical with everything else.
    Clothes wise I bought 5 vests,3 baby gros and 2 outfits,socks,scratch mitts and bibs.
    Muslin squares are really useful.
    I would recommend buying a big ish baby bath as they grow out of them really fast and it is easier to manage then the big bath.
    I got the baba sling sling and although baba is now 15 months,I still find it fantastic.
    kiddicare.com was good for cot/travel system/high chair.
    E-bay jsut generally rocks!
    Guineys is good for blankets and sheets.
    tk maxx is great for random stuff.
    I can't think of anything else but you really don't need a crazy amount of stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Cellular blanket and a hat for the hospital bag too.

I found the travel system worth every penny. We've used it for 2 kids now and it's been very useful. We bought ours off ebay and saved a packet but if there's a sale on it's worth checking that too.

As Moonbeam said....you don't really need that much initially because you'll get a lot of gifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Hey
    Does anyone know what ya need to pack for the labour bag?
    I have a list i got from the eumom book but it just says pack your labour bag...:oWhat do i need to pack ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A nightdress to labour in and spare night clothes to change into incase that gets dirty,
    Underwear, maternity pads, change of clothes to go home in, slippers, night gown.
    toiletries, hair brush, a good body lotion, books, snacks I backed nuts in mine.

For the baby, nappies, wipes, clothes (3 vests, 3 baby grows, cardigan/mini fleece, hat,blanket).

Basically everything you and the baby will need while you are in hospital all packed ready to go so that it can be just grabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My friend just had a baby and I did her a hamper of things that we didn't realise we needed until after Megan was her. Some of the things include:

- cotton wool
    - Vaseline (tesco own make is best, it spreads better and its cheaper!)
    - a baby grooming kit - 4.99 in Argos. The soft emery boards are essential!
    - A 'baby on board' sign for the car
    - nappy sacks (tesco value ones cos they're only getting filled with poo!)
    - A bottle brush
    - A container for carrying formula
    - scratch mitts, plain socks and booties
    - bibs
    - baby wipes
    - baby sleeping bag

Other things you will need to get:

- Something for the baby to sleep in (moses basket/crib/cot) + bedding
    - bottles and teats etc... (get them even if you plan to breastfeed!)
    - Steriliser
    - baby monitor
    - baby bath
    - Pram or travel system
    - Car seat
    - Muslins
    - Changing unit - not essential but it makes life easier and saves your back!

I'm sure there are hundreds of other things but thats all I can think of for now!

Borrow what you can because most things are only used for such a short period of time! And if you find out the sex of the baby, resist the urge to go mad buying things in that colour as you'll get so much in presents you'll find it hard to use it all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jessica C

When I got my nanny from Careway Childcare Agency they supplied me with a very definitive shopping list and it was not only very useful but also saved me lots of time! Sure they wont mind if you take a look, its on their free resources page at www.careway.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

You should go onto eumom.ie they have a section for what to pack for the hospital ( Very helpful)
    Flip flops are a really good idea for your hospital bag for when your having a shower pick up a cheap pair in Pennys. Make sure you have a back up of stuff that you Partner or Family member can bring down to you. I ended up in for nearly 5 days so went through all my PJ's before I even had the baby had to get my partner to drop me in more stuff and towels aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Ladies

do you really need to bring 8 clothing items each for newborn (vests, babgro, cardigans) to the hospital. sound like too much for me.

Also do they supply cotton for cleaning the bellybutton area or I need to bring my own supply?
    Also do I need a nappy bags at the hospital as well?

it all sounds like I'm going for week of vacation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jessica C

Sounds like too much - just make sure you have back ups at home for your partner etc to bring through should you need.
    They should supply cotton wool but just take a bag anyway and some nappy bags never hurt either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My wife is due in a couple of weeks.

The hospital gave her a list of recommended items for the bag so, at your stage, you can relax a bit. You have plenty of time. Funnily enough, they even mentioned to bring a few things for the father to be, like a sandwich etc etc.

• Advertisement

How long do you stay at the hospital if labour will be natural?

how long do you stay at the hospital when you have section?

do they monitor your labour? when you need to go to the hospital since your contractions start?

any comments would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

ani_mal wrote: »
    How long do you stay at the hospital if labour will be natural?

how long do you stay at the hospital when you have section?

do they monitor your labour? when you need to go to the hospital since your contractions start?

any comments would be appreciated.

It really varies from place to place depends on the hospital and other factors.

Some places keep you in for 2 days on your first and some keep you in for 3. Not sure about if you have a section. I know this sounds wierd but if you have the baby on say a Friday and they dont discharge you by Saturday you will probably be there till the Monday as most hospitals wont discharge you on a Sunday such as the Rotunda where I went.

In terms of going to the hospital when your in Labour ask them their policy when your in for your next check up alot of places wont admit you until your contractions are less than 5 minutes apart. It really does depend on the individual Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

For your hospital bag a great tip I got was pack a few drinks for yourself (Capri sonnes are handy!) as the hospital can be very warm & if youre breastfeeding you need to keep your fluids up.

I also found it great having my i-pod to distract me during the pre labour contractions.

Ooh & dont forget a towel, I did and when they sent me for a bath to bring on labour I had to use the tiny hospital towels which are the same size as a hand towel & so rough I think I sanded off 2 layers of skin with them :eek:

I bought a cheap throwaway nightie for the labour & dear but nice pj's for the ward. I got 'Hot Milk' breastfeeding one's, (they're €70) but so handy with the button down top bit so you can get the girls out discretely :)

I had a huge bag of stuff with me, most that I didn't need, so my list for next time would be as follows;

Ward bag:
    1/2 pack newborn nappies
    1 pack of wipes
    Small wad of cotton wool
    3 x vests
    3 x babygro's
    2 x cellular blanket
    'going home' outfit for baby
    4 x pairs cheap 'granny' knickers (Dunnes/Penneys high waist ones)
    1 x pack ultra absorbent night time sanitary towels (better than maternity ones)
    1 x pack breast pads
    Squeezy water bottle (sooo compulsory if you have stitches or a tear down there)
    2 x pair pj's for me
    1 x pair Slippers
    wash bag with shower gel/toothpaste & brush/face cloth
    box of capri sonnes
    Bath towel
    Pen (for registration forms :) )
    Few muslin squares

Labour bag:
    little hat for baby
    1 x pair scratch mitts
    1 x vest
    1 x babygro
    nightie for labour
    I-pod
    Bottle of water
    Tens machine & spare battery
    Bath towel

I brought 2 x bags, a small one that went everywhere with me in the car in the weeks before I gave birth (Just in case!)
    The second ward bag stayed in the hall way with the car seat for my husband to bring in later.

I'm so broody I'm already planning my next hospital bag :rolleyes::o

For your hospital bag a great tip I got was pack a few drinks for yourself (Capri sonnes are handy!) as the hospital can be very warm & if youre breastfeeding you need to keep your fluids up.

:rolleyes::o

that is a very good post :)
    This I was looking for. I thought that 8 pieces of each clothes for the baby would be way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ooh & dont forget a towel, I did and when they sent me for a bath to bring on labour I had to use the tiny hospital towels which are the same size as a hand towel & so rough I think I sanded off 2 layers of skin with them :eek:

Labour bag:
    little hat for baby
    1 x pair scratch mitts
    1 x vest
    1 x babygro
    nightie for labour
    I-pod
    Bottle of water
    Tens machine & spare battery
    Bath towel

I brought 2 x bags, a small one that went everywhere with me in the car in the weeks before I gave birth (Just in case!)

This is great Cap! A lot of other websites don't differentiate between a labour bag and a ward bag and I was getting hugely confused as to what should go in which. I bought a lovely baby changing bag on e-bay and have it in the car as my labour bag, but I kept thinking it was too small. Your post has reassured me:)

You've also answered a question I was going to ask about the towels - the labour rooms have nice en-suite bathrooms and I hope to be able to use the bath. Definitely bringing big fluffy towel now!

10 days to go (though I'm telling myself 3 weeks) and I'm finally getting my ass in gear:eek:

Glad you found it useful Deemark :)
    You should've seen the state of my original list, 2 A4 pages long! I'll definitely be travelling much lighter when I go in to have number 2!!

Aw so exciting not much longer for you now! Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Don't forget your hospital chart! It's in the labour bag from now on (@35 weeks). I don't know if hubbie would know where to look for it...

Also: socks for labour, ear plugs and eye cover to cope with hospital noises and routine when you want to relax... and lip balm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 magda1251

Hi caprilicious, it's an excellent and very helpful post you placed. Thank you. I'm due in 4 weeks. Can't wait..I'm so excited for the baby and sooo terrified for labour...

Thanks Magda, congrats hopefully the next few weeks will fly by :)
    I managed not to get too anxious about labour by just focusing on that gorgeous little baby you will have after.
    I can't wait to go again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BlackForestJule

A big thanks from me too, caprilicious! I'm due no. 2 in 16 days and really need to get started with the packing. Last time I had to go shopping between the waters breaking and labour starting in earnest, so I just threw stuff in a bag and hoped for the best. I fully intend to be more organised this time and use your list as a guide (no.1's not even that long ago and I can't remember a thing other than that the 6 nighties they told us to bring was far too much!)

Incidentally, can someone recommend maternity pads? i seem to remember reading that there are ones that are thinner and just as absorbent as the bricks you usually get, but I can't remember where.
    Also, I absolutely hated the disposable knickers as even the biggest sized ones cut into me and I ended up cutting the elastics. Where would I get really cheap cotton ones that I can throw out after? Penneys?

• Advertisement

Aw thanks BlackForestJule - I really need to start staying out of the pregnancy forum, its has me ridiculously broody!!
    Congrats to you too, also not long to go!

I bought maternity pads from mothercare, to be very honest they were like wedging a pillow down there, not very comfortable especially as I had a tear :o

The best pads I used were the Always Ultra night time ones, the ultra absorbant.
    Boots also do good maternity pads, not as absorbent as the Always one's but cotton finish so they were very comfy/soft.

I bought undies in Penneys & Dunnes, both were roughly €2 for a pack of 5 'granny' knickers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BlackForestJule

Brilliant, thanks!!!! Exactly the advice I was looking for. had the mothercare ones last time and they were pretty horrible!

I can understand about getting broody - I started thinking about no.2 only a few months after having my daughter (she's 19 months now). We'll see how things go with two little trouble makers in the house (or three if you count their dad as well ;) )

Advertisement