Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network cableing

Options
  • 13-04-2010 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

any one know where to buy any of this stuff i need a good owl lenght on it and is it expensive

heres my problem 4 lap tops in house running wireless no problem wit them except for 1 where its positioned gets a low signal its in an extension so im looking to make a ethernet cable long enough to reach the room

isnt there a specific length on this cable that it is has to be in between for it to work properly for example too long it will take ages to send data and wont work its not miles of a distance :p

and does any one know where i can pick some some of this up

thanks in advance guys
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

potsy86 wrote: »
    any one know where to buy any of this stuff i need a good owl lenght on it and is it expensive

heres my problem 4 lap tops in house running wireless no problem wit them except for 1 where its positioned gets a low signal its in an extension so im looking to make a ethernet cable long enough to reach the room

isnt there a specific length on this cable that it is has to be in between for it to work properly for example too long it will take ages to send data and wont work its not miles of a distance :p

and does any one know where i can pick some some of this up

thanks in advance guys

Have a look at homeplugs first as an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

Spear wrote: »
    Have a look at homeplugs first as an option.

that looks like an option iv never seen them before what way do they work googled it not exactly getting an explantion on them for a selling side a things

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

potsy86 wrote: »
    that looks like an option iv never seen them before what way do they work googled it not exactly getting an explantion on them for a selling side a things

They use your houses electrical cabling as network cables.

are they sold in ireland in shop or can they just be bought online iv no acces to credit card

aint goin to work for me its back to my original idea if any one can shed some light on it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

standard cat5e has a maximum effective length of 100 meters, after that you'll start seeing packet loss

johnciall wrote: »
    standard cat5e has a maximum effective length of 100 meters, after that you'll start seeing packet loss

its whitin that range so is it cat 5e iv to get not the other one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

if its just a length of it terminated at both ends and tested any IT company will do that for you. If you cant find someone in your area PM me and Ill sort you out...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CapBean

If your looking for a premade cable I got mine from Komplett.ie.
    You can open an account with them and pay at their collection point with laser or credit card but not cash. The website has all the info.

You could also try Peats on Parnell street. They are able to make a cable to whatever length you want.

The technicians in PC World should also be able to make you a cable.

Hope the above helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

What length cable do you need?

• Advertisement

got a roll of cable in maplins way too much over estimated the job only used 1/4 of the roll 3/4 left any one need for a small price

CapBean wrote: »
    If your looking for a premade cable I got mine from Komplett.ie.
    You can open an account with them and pay at their collection point with laser or credit card but not cash. The website has all the info.

You could also try Peats on Parnell street. They are able to make a cable to whatever length you want.

The technicians in PC World should also be able to make you a cable.

Hope the above helps.

try'd both them places and maplins they wont do it im haven trouble terminating the cable wit the connector been ringing every where to try get some one to do it no joy at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

It'll take me ten seconds just depends what length you need.. where are you based?

FusionNet wrote: »
    It'll take me ten seconds just depends what length you need.. where are you based?

got it done local computer store did it didin notice ur message was all over the place wit the problem all sorted now up and running thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

You could have bought the homeplugs in Maplin instead of the Cat5E cable
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223818

You could have bought the homeplugs in Maplin instead of the Cat5E cable
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223818

wouldn have worked the house is not a newly built house the wireing is the old wireing black and red no earth its all over the place dunno what way the circuts are in the house it woulda been a waste of time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

You can pick up a cheap cable crimbers and simple cable tester for about 10euro. RJ45 plugs are also relatively cheap depending on how many you buy might only be a few cent each.

Cable reels are normally sold in 300m meter spools. Once you have the correct cable and its ran correctly i.e. no kinks, damaged on the runs you should be all set. Termination is do able your self once you have a bit of patience, make sure the copper on the cores has good connectivity on each of the pins on the plug. Make sure you crimp part of the cable sheeting on the on the RJ45 tab as if it isnt this is a hallmark of a badly made cable.

Advertisement