Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating a year in secondary school

Options
  • 13-04-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

If I wanted to repeat 5th year how would I go about doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Wait until your leaving cert and repeat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

No, say it to the Principal or move school. Plenty of people repeat 5th especially if they didn't do TY.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A girl in my school repeated fifth year after she got her parents up to the school. Discuss it with your parents and your principal and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Any particular advice?

EDIT: If anybody reading this is doubting doing transition year DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO IT . I regret not doing it everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

BOHtox wrote: »
    Any particular advice?

EDIT: If anybody reading this is doubting doing transition year DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO IT . I regret not doing it everyday
    Just go talk to your principle:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you did TY, it's more difficult to repeat 5th year as it would mean you would be more than 6 years in second level. If there are medical reasons why you need to repeat a year or if you didn't do TY this doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I didn't do ty. All my friends did it though and I thought I'd be alright without it and make new ones.
    PLAN FAILED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Just go to your principal or vice principal and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Every school operates differently, but I would go up the chain: form teacher/tutor - year head - principal. I presume you've discussed this with your parents. The school will most likely want to speak to them too.

Tbh, this is at the school's discretion. You may have to make a case for allowing you to do this and speaking as a teacher, "I haven't made any friends", is not the most convincing and mature reason to give. At the end of the day, when you go to college/work, you're going to lose contact with lots of friends anyway and will have to make new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 megank_96

Hi, i'm 17 years old and have done first to fifth year in a school. I wasn't the most behaved student and I had quiet alot of absent's,l Most of which in fifth year! I have moved to my to a different county during the summer to a relation's and I'm finding it extremely hard to one get enrolled in a school and secondly to repeat fifth year. The school I had first tried to enroll myself into has been very exhausting and I waited two weeks for an interview once I had the interview and had given in my details, the principle said she hadn't yet gotten around to my reports that were sent from my previous school, And she would contact me when she had completed it. I then waited three weeks which had gone into the term and I'm missing more days at school. I then tried ringing the school on numerous occasions and it just rang out. Until one day the secretary had answered but said the principle was busy and she would get back to me. A week then went by without contact so I decided to try another local secondary school to enroll and they were very helpful but they did need the reports from my last school! So I called up to the fifst school and tried to make an appointment with the principle to get said reports as I needed them for the second school I had tried to enroll in and I had gotten the hint the first school were not going to call, but they were denied they had the reports and when I was reassured then they did, the secretary said she would send them onto the second school and ring me them.. It has been another week and I have missed a month of the fist term and still havn't heard from the first school in question. I'm so fed up and really eager to get into school!! As I understand it is the school's decreation whether or not they allow you to repeat fifth year and if so I have missed a month of Leaving cert!! I'm really stressed out! Could anyone please give me some adivce of any kind they might have anything to help me with this situation!..

• Advertisement
Advertisement