Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Holiday

Options
  • 13-04-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

I had a thread up in the holiday section and one poster directed me here, hope I can get some help.

The girlfriend's 21st birthday is in July and we decided to go on a holiday for it. We'd like to go somewhere where we could snowboard (we've never done it before), the only problem is, we haven't a notion of where to go.

Could anyone give us some advice? I tried googling it but there are so many options that I don't know where to begin. Can anyone recommend a good snow holiday destination?

Thanks in advance,

Ro.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What would the budget be, re:time as much as money. If you've got weeks to spare then the southern hemisphere will certainly give you plenty of options for skiing/ boarding on real snow. If your limited to Europe then it's probably glaciers as your best option, but I've never done that during the summer so don't know what that would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you are going to ski in July, then it would pretty much have to be Tignes or a couple of other high glaciers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Average-Ro, If you want to bring her for her Birthday it will be glacier skiing. The way Glaciers during the summer is that you ski form 7 am (optional Start) Till about 12 or 2 in the afternoon depending on the conditions. Then you come down to the village to 25 degrees sunshine and lots of other activites in the afternoon. (Horseriding, rafting walking etc)

Do all my glaciel skiin in saas and next on my list would be hintertux.

Glaciers tend to have allot of race squads training during the summer Tignes and Saas in particular as they have some steeper terrain.

The 3 best summer glaciers are

Zermatt -Fly to Geneva or Zurich and use a swiss transfer ticket to get to resort
    Saas Fee - Fly to Geneva or Zurich and use a swiss transfer ticket to get to resort
    Hintertux - Fly to Munich or Salzburg and train to Hintertux
    Les Deux alps - Geneva and private transfer
    Tignes - - Geneva and private transfer

The most romantic & scenic is Saas Fee and it is spectacular easy to get to with loads to do in the afternoon Eskimo or Optimim ski school both offer lessons all summer

Zermatt is next on the list but can be quite expensive and a bit high end clientel who are up their own ass - Swiss Sk School operate all summer

Hintertux is awsome cheap and open probably longer than all of them during the day - De Rotten Profs operate throuhg the summer

Not a fan of the French resorts as the villages tend to be a bit hard on the Eye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

We're just back from a week in Neustift Im Stubaital in Austria where there's glacier skiing also. You fly to Munich and get a 2.5 hr train then 20 min transfer.

Brilliant week of snowboarding and skiing on the glacier, Im not sure if there's snow in July but its quite possible. Great accomodation too. 670 per head covered breakfast, 5-course dinners, wellness spa area and our skipass for the week.

The village is charming, the apres ski isn't wild but plenty of fun if you're willing to make you're own and there's some lively pubs in the village and a very lively apres-ski bar at the bottom of the lifts.

as I say, dunno what the story is with the snow in July - but check it out and if it looks promising, PM me with questions if you want.

www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/winter/
    www.stubai.at/
    www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g644054-Neustift_im_Stubaital_Tirol_Austrian_Alps-Vacations.html
    our hotel - www.tirolerhof-neustift.at/index_en.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Some great info here for everyone.

We must tidy up and sticky this thread once its finished...

Hopefully I (we) will remember to do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Fattes wrote: »
    The most romantic & scenic is Saas Fee and it is spectacular easy to get to with loads to do in the afternoon Eskimo or Optimim ski school both offer lessons all summer
    I would heartily endorse this recommendation. Myself and my wife spent 5 days there early August last year. You won't be short of things to do in luxury surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I have skied Hintertux in mid oct and end of April and wouldnt really like to do it if were my first ski holiday. The snow can be very variable and you may get lots of exposed ice.Have you and girlfriend skied before, as opposed to snowboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies. Neither of us have skiied OR snowboarded before, this was/is going to be our first time (should have mentioned that in the first post, sorry!)

Don't really have a budget worked out yet (I've just got a new job so I'll have to see how much I can save between now and then). What's the general price of these type of holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Average-Ro: Prices vary depending on how you do it

Package is about 1,000-2,00 all in with lift passes, food, gear rental etc

But you can do it for about half of that independantly

Going during the summer is very diffrent as there is limited ski area and a diffrent atmosphere to the village as there would be in the winter.

Have links for apartments etc in a couple of resorts and work as an instructor.

Drop me a pm if you need anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Thanks for that Fattes. We might leave it to winter if it's very limited during summer. Thank you everyone for the feedback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement