Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Steering Problem

Options
  • 13-04-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have a Saab 9-3 and the power steering is behaving strangely. It feels as I turn the wheel, while driving, as if it alternates between being light and heavy. I.e. as I start to turn the wheel it begins as light then stiffens hard (requiring mush more of a push) as I turn more and then as I turn more, it gets slightly lighter again.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I've checked the reservoir and can see fluid as I look in so it wouldn't appear to be a leak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Loose/worn drive belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Anan1 wrote: »
    Loose/worn drive belt?

Funny - I was think it was as if there was a belt somewhere that was slipping without knowing that there is such a thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's a belt that turns the power steering pump, people call it different things, auxiliary drive belt, fan belt, etc. It's not a big job to replace it, even simpler if it only needs retensioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Did the 9-3s suffer from bulkhead cracking? It might not be the power steering per se, but a related component.
    Best get it checked in any case. I've been in a car that suffered steering failure going around a corner, not nice :eek:

Advertisement