Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan - Immigrant Couple

Options
  • 13-04-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi there, one of my 1st posts here... I'm really liking the place ^^

The thing is: My wife and i are going to Ireland by the end of the year probably. In the beginning we were thinking about living in Dublin City, of course, but then we started to think about another regions that are close to the city.

We were wondering about Balbriggan, does it worth for a couple (without higher education) to live in there, or any other commuter towns, actually? Our level of English, you can deduce from this thread. It is kinda harder to talk in real time, but not major problems i guess.

The costs are lower? It's easier to get a normal job in the city or in there? It is too expensive to travel by train to the city everyday if you have a job in there? And... do you really need to go to Dublin City frequently, or just sometimes?

We really want to know about the possibilities and keep our minds open... If you guys can tell us about your experiences and thoughts about that issue, we would be very grateful, indeed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If you live in Balbriggan, and commute to Dublin for work daily, you can end up spending a lot on travel costs.

Balbriggan has grown quite a lot in recent times, as have other commuter area's near Dublin (Navan, Ashbourne etc).

However, how often you 'need' to travel into Dublin City really depends on your needs, and if you work there or not. Most satellite towns have everything you would need to live there and enjoy yourself (clothes shops, supermarkets, banks, restaurants, cinema's, pubs/clubs, sports facilities, gym's etc etc) so really the need shouldn't arise to often to travel to Dublin CC (if you work near where you live anyway).

What I will say though, is what you are asking is not something you can easily sum up in a few forum posts. You should really contact local jobs agencies and the tourist board to see if a certain area suits you, and if you're looking for work (depending on your country of origin, as there may be Visa implications) ensure to contact your embassy here, and have a job lined up before you move - finding jobs is NOT easy here, but its getting better slowly.

Ensure you think this through totally, and go through all of your options before you decide to jump ship and move.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Balbriggan is full of people from a lot of different nationalities and cultures. Commuting to the city takes about 45 minutes and is cheap if you use the train.
    www.taxsaver.ie is where you would get your ticket from via your employer.
    Do you already hve jobs in Dublin?The jobs markey here for people with out 3rd level education is not good.
    Do you have children?There are play grounds,a youth cafe and a community creche (www.bccg.ie) and a lot of primary schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

If you live in Balbriggan, and commute to Dublin for work daily, you can end up spending a lot on travel costs.

Balbriggan has grown quite a lot in recent times, as have other commuter area's near Dublin (Navan, Ashbourne etc).

However, how often you 'need' to travel into Dublin City really depends on your needs, and if you work there or not. Most satellite towns have everything you would need to live there and enjoy yourself (clothes shops, supermarkets, banks, restaurants, cinema's, pubs/clubs, sports facilities, gym's etc etc) so really the need shouldn't arise to often to travel to Dublin CC (if you work near where you live anyway).

What I will say though, is what you are asking is not something you can easily sum up in a few forum posts. You should really contact local jobs agencies and the tourist board to see if a certain area suits you, and if you're looking for work (depending on your country of origin, as there may be Visa implications) ensure to contact your embassy here, and have a job lined up before you move - finding jobs is NOT easy here, but its getting better slowly.

Ensure you think this through totally, and go through all of your options before you decide to jump ship and move.

Best of luck.

We will go because of my wife. She's an European citizen. Thx for the info ;)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Balbriggan is full of people from a lot of different nationalities and cultures. Commuting to the city takes about 45 minutes and is cheap if you use the train.
    Do you already hve jobs in Dublin?The jobs markey here for people with out 3rd level education is not good.
    Do you have children?There are play grounds,a youth cafe and a community creche (www.bccg.ie) and a lot of primary schools.

Thank you very much for the info ^^...

We really need to consider living in another place, other than the big cities... but we are afraid, you know. Everyone that is trying to do this type of thing prefers Dublin City because of the number of jobs, the convenience and stuff like that.

We don't have any jobs yet, nor children. We are aware that is is more difficult to get a job without higher education, of course. But that is one of the reasons that we are going to Ireland, continue our studies is important.

I heard of a lot of ppl saying that is easy to get a job in the city, principally before the recession, i saw lots of ppl getting normal/simple/menial jobs (which it is what we are going for in the start) pretty quick even without any knowledge of the language O.o. That surprised me...

I know that the country changed a lot now because of the recession, but still a good choice for us, what we were trying to understand is what is really better for us: Try to live outside cities in the beginning, or just when you are already stable in the country.

But again, thx ;)

Moonbeam wrote: »

I took a look on that, i had already heard about that service, pretty useful! But the majority of the employers are used to give you this type of thing?

Because 41% discount really saves you! The normal prices seems too expensive for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I took a look on that, i had already heard about that service, pretty useful! But the majority of the employers are used to give you this type of thing?

Because 41% discount really saves you! The normal prices seems too expensive for me...

Quite a lot of employers would offer this facility, however they would need to register first. Also, it should be worth noting that the 41% discount is only if you are on the higher tax band (I think that's if you are earning over €36,400), otherwise you are on the normal tax band of 20% and that would be the discount you receive.

Balbriggan is a good area to move into - there are many facilities in the town that have been listed so far. It is close enough to Dublin City to be accessible (train, bus and motorway all get you into the city in under an hour - depending on traffic).

Also, depending on the type of work you are looking for it might be worth looking at Drogheda as a place to work also. It is only 15-20 minutes north of Balbriggan.

Best of luck with your move and whatever decisions you make.

Quite a lot of employers would offer this facility, however they would need to register first. Also, it should be worth noting that the 41% discount is only if you are on the higher tax band (I think that's if you are earning over €36,400), otherwise you are on the normal tax band of 20% and that would be the discount you receive.

Balbriggan is a good area to move into - there are many facilities in the town that have been listed so far. It is close enough to Dublin City to be accessible (train, bus and motorway all get you into the city in under an hour - depending on traffic).

Also, depending on the type of work you are looking for it might be worth looking at Drogheda as a place to work also. It is only 15-20 minutes north of Balbriggan.

Best of luck with your move and whatever decisions you make.

Thank you very much, Fingleberries! ;)

I'll keep informing myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there & welcome to DCN. There is a long thread in this forum that may be of interest to you - "Newly Moved to Balbriggan...".

Please keep in mind that a lot of what is said in the thread are opinions & not necessarily facts. If you have any questions - let us know.

Enjoy the forum & boards.ie.

HB

Thank you, Billy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

We will go because of my wife. She's an European citizen. Thx for the info ;)
    just on this, even if your wife is EU citizen, if you are non-EU you will still need a visa and it can be a long and time consuming process - take it from one who knows. It took my husband 5 mths to get his residency, therefore until then he could not even apply for a job as he did not have a work permit. There is a lot of paperwork involved and you have to be very organised and prepared to be patient.
    Thank you very much for the info ^^...

We really need to consider living in another place, other than the big cities... but we are afraid, you know. Everyone that is trying to do this type of thing prefers Dublin City because of the number of jobs, the convenience and stuff like that.

We don't have any jobs yet, nor children. We are aware that is is more difficult to get a job without higher education, of course. But that is one of the reasons that we are going to Ireland, continue our studies is important.

my husband is non-EU has higher education, excellent work experience and has owned his own business but still he could not get work here. If you are in need of work and are not 'skilled' workers (i.e not with a specific qualification) then Balbriggan is a bad move to look for work. It is easier to find a job if you live closer to the city as you have more travel options and it is more accessible - for eg if you live close to Dublin city, you can travel much easier to other suburbs. If you live in Balbirggan travel to the south side of the city (other than directly close to the liffey) is arduous and time consuming. There is not a lot of local employment, most people have to travel to Dublin daily for work and if you get a low paid or minimum wage job, or part time work then it is not feasible to travel to Dublin.

As a result of all these factors, my husband has now opened his own business as getting a job elsewhere was just not happening. Unless you may be in a position to do the same, then you have to face the realities that finding work as a 'foreginer' with no Irish work experience is not easy here - finding a job as an Irish person is very tough, so being foreign with no Irish work references, and needing work permits etc only increases this substantially. No one likes to admit it, but there is a lot of racism here in terms of work opportunities - these things only really show up in times of hardship. My husband was outright told by a potential employer that in spite of being the best candidate, the manager in question was reluctant to hire a non-national :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

this unfortunately is the truth. also there is high unemployment in ireland at the moment and finding any job to support both yourself and your partner might be quite tricky. as the closer to dublin you go the higher the rent in most cases and the further out you are the more you will spend on travel .

i think limiting yourself to balbriggan would be unwise. i think you should move closer to dublin even into a suburb like Coolock,Glasnevin etc etc

just on this, even if your wife is EU citizen, if you are non-EU you will still need a visa and it can be a long and time consuming process - take it from one who knows. It took my husband 5 mths to get his residency, therefore until then he could not even apply for a job as he did not have a work permit. There is a lot of paperwork involved and you have to be very organised and prepared to be patient.

my husband is non-EU has higher education, excellent work experience and has owned his own business but still he could not get work here. If you are in need of work and are not 'skilled' workers (i.e not with a specific qualification) then Balbriggan is a bad move to look for work. It is easier to find a job if you live closer to the city as you have more travel options and it is more accessible - for eg if you live close to Dublin city, you can travel much easier to other suburbs. If you live in Balbirggan travel to the south side of the city (other than directly close to the liffey) is arduous and time consuming. There is not a lot of local employment, most people have to travel to Dublin daily for work and if you get a low paid or minimum wage job, or part time work then it is not feasible to travel to Dublin.

As a result of all these factors, my husband has now opened his own business as getting a job elsewhere was just not happening. Unless you may be in a position to do the same, then you have to face the realities that finding work as a 'foreginer' with no Irish work experience is not easy here - finding a job as an Irish person is very tough, so being foreign with no Irish work references, and needing work permits etc only increases this substantially. No one likes to admit it, but there is a lot of racism here in terms of work opportunities - these things only really show up in times of hardship. My husband was outright told by a potential employer that in spite of being the best candidate, the manager in question was reluctant to hire a non-national :eek:

Well, as far as we have researched, my wife has to have a job in there and be able to prove that she can support me. Then, going to the immigration with the papers i should be able to receive a short term Stamp 4, shouldn't i?

I have talked to non-european married to europeans and that is how it worked for them, like 1 weak after the request...

How long has it been since you guys did your visa application? Couldn't you get the short term? (6 months)

Thank you very much for the informations and sharing your experience! ;)

Martron wrote: »
    this unfortunately is the truth. also there is high unemployment in ireland at the moment and finding any job to support both yourself and your partner might be quite tricky. as the closer to dublin you go the higher the rent in most cases and the further out you are the more you will spend on travel .

i think limiting yourself to balbriggan would be unwise. i think you should move closer to dublin even into a suburb like Coolock,Glasnevin etc etc

As i thought... the city seems to be the best choice for beginners.

Since we will need to go to the city frequently when we get there, and since we don't have any higher education would be better i think.

How about short period courses in there? They mean a lot to the employers? I worked here with computer maintenance/assembling, i have experience with that and would be good to me just continue to work on that area.

So, doing a course in there just to have it on the CV would make a lot of difference? Or should i just try some "evaluation period" in some companies?

I heard of a lot of ppl saying that is easy to get a job in the city, principally before the recession, i saw lots of ppl getting normal/simple/menial jobs (which it is what we are going for in the start) pretty quick even without any knowledge of the language O.o. That surprised me...

this is now FAR FAR FAR from the situation. There are people out there with years of experience who cannot even get the most menial jobs

Well, as far as we have researched, my wife has to have a job in there and be able to prove that she can support me. Then, going to the immigration with the papers i should be able to receive a short term Stamp 4, shouldn't i?

I have talked to non-european married to europeans and that is how it worked for them, like 1 weak after the request...

How long has it been since you guys did your visa application? Couldn't you get the short term? (6 months)

Thank you very much for the informations and sharing your experience! ;)

no this is not the case and you are being ill informed. How long ago did your friends apply, as the laws have changed in the last 18 mths or so.

It depends in some ways where you are from. If you are from a non-visa requiring country (i.e you can visit Ireland without a visa) then you can enter the country and once here apply.
    If you require a visa to come to Ireland you will have to apply from your home country and the waiting times depend on the efficiency of the Irish embassy in your country.

Either way you will have to prove that you can support yourselves without assistance from the state, but you also need joint bank accounts, proof of legitimate relationship existing more than 6 mths, lots of other legal paperwork, and in fact the immigration people can request anything else they feel pertinant. There is no entitlement to residence just because your wife is EU.
    There is no short term stamp 4 - you apply and wait as long as it takes. It took us 5 mths, I am Irish, own a house here, have a job, joint bank accounts etc and we still had to wait 5 mths. I have heard of others waiting 9-12 mths. Until your residency is approved you do not get stamp 4 and cannot work. This is why they request that you prove you can support yourself during this time. I have never heard of ANYONE getting a reply within 1 week and having stamp 4 within 1 week of applying.

However if you are a non-visa requiring national, it is slightly different and you can apply to the local garda station, who can make a decision there and then. However they have the option to grant residency but they can withold a stamp 4. They can also refer you to the Immigration dept and chose not to decide themselves.

In all cases you get residency for only 1 year initially. After 1 year if you are still in a valid relationship, and can still support yourself without access to public funds then they may grant you permission to remain for a further 5 years - or they may decide to give only 1,2,3 - basically at the end of the day it is at their discretion.

Ireland is no longer the country it once was where jobs are easy to find and permission to reside here and work permits easily granted.

I think you need to go back and start at the beginning - get proper advice from the correct sources on your immigration process and rights - not friends but the authorities. Once you know the correct process and duration, then decide if moving to Ireland is the great attraction you once thought. If you still think this, then think of my husband with fluent written and spoken english, university qualifications, vast work experience, and who is prepared to sweep the streets if it means he can have a job - 1 year on he still had not even a smell of a job. Often he was refused on the lack of Irish work experience and irish references. also the fact that his work permit only initially lasts 1 year put some of them off as they are afraid they will be required to assist in reapplying (this is not the case, but because there are so many Irish and EU nationals who do not require ANY form of work permit, they don't need to employ anyone requiring a work permit).

Good luck with what ever you decide, but I feel you have been misled by others and are viewing Ireland as an easy place to get a job and improve your life - this is unrealistic. You need to do some proper research with the correct authorities rather than rely on forum chatter.

no this is not the case and you are being ill informed. How long ago did your friends apply, as the laws have changed in the last 18 mths or so.

It depends in some ways where you are from. If you are from a non-visa requiring country (i.e you can visit Ireland without a visa) then you can enter the country and once here apply.
    If you require a visa to come to Ireland you will have to apply from your home country and the waiting times depend on the efficiency of the Irish embassy in your country.

Either way you will have to prove that you can support yourselves without assistance from the state, but you also need joint bank accounts, proof of legitimate relationship existing more than 6 mths, lots of other legal paperwork, and in fact the immigration people can request anything else they feel pertinant. There is no entitlement to residence just because your wife is EU.
    There is no short term stamp 4 - you apply and wait as long as it takes. It took us 5 mths, I am Irish, own a house here, have a job, joint bank accounts etc and we still had to wait 5 mths. I have heard of others waiting 9-12 mths. Until your residency is approved you do not get stamp 4 and cannot work. This is why they request that you prove you can support yourself during this time. I have never heard of ANYONE getting a reply within 1 week and having stamp 4 within 1 week of applying.

However if you are a non-visa requiring national, it is slightly different and you can apply to the local garda station, who can make a decision there and then. However they have the option to grant residency but they can withold a stamp 4. They can also refer you to the Immigration dept and chose not to decide themselves.

In all cases you get residency for only 1 year initially. After 1 year if you are still in a valid relationship, and can still support yourself without access to public funds then they may grant you permission to remain for a further 5 years - or they may decide to give only 1,2,3 - basically at the end of the day it is at their discretion.

Ireland is no longer the country it once was where jobs are easy to find and permission to reside here and work permits easily granted.

I think you need to go back and start at the beginning - get proper advice from the correct sources on your immigration process and rights - not friends but the authorities. Once you know the correct process and duration, then decide if moving to Ireland is the great attraction you once thought. If you still think this, then think of my husband with fluent written and spoken english, university qualifications, vast work experience, and who is prepared to sweep the streets if it means he can have a job - 1 year on he still had not even a smell of a job. Often he was refused on the lack of Irish work experience and irish references. also the fact that his work permit only initially lasts 1 year put some of them off as they are afraid they will be required to assist in reapplying (this is not the case, but because there are so many Irish and EU nationals who do not require ANY form of work permit, they don't need to employ anyone requiring a work permit).

Good luck with what ever you decide, but I feel you have been misled by others and are viewing Ireland as an easy place to get a job and improve your life - this is unrealistic. You need to do some proper research with the correct authorities rather than rely on forum chatter.

Thank you again for the enlightenment! I will as always continue to inform myself!

But about the visa, it was not only a case or 2, i have seen many ppl from here (Brazil) going to Ireland and getting quickly a Stamp 4 for their spouse. But now that you say that i'm trying to find more things, but it's complicated since i can't get more info on the www.inis.gov.ie. And i don't now many places where i can search.

We usually get this kind of information from another forums, nationals and internationals, and as i told you we have seen them saying that many times, about the visa.

Note that this processes were always recent. Researching more here i found that some ppl were saying the same thing as you, but the dates of the posts were about 2006 for exchange. And that ones saying that was pretty easy for them are always recent, like 2009/10. So, any chance that they changed it? Kinda weird, right?

So, now i'm kinda lost here about this issue hehehe... but i'll keep searching, i'll try to contact the Irish Naturalisation Immigration Service.

And about your husband, he was trying to get job only in Balbriggan? Or in the City too? I'm curious about that. And when did he went to Ireland, after or before the recession?

About going to Ireland we have pretty much made up our minds already. It's a good country in our view, despite the problems. And we can only speak english, so it is a choice between UK and Ireland, but since the UK wouldn't allow me in our current situation (we researched about that), then it's only Ireland.

Very interesting nation you have there ;). And thank you once more!

But about the visa, it was not only a case or 2, i have seen many ppl from here (Brazil) going to Ireland and getting quickly a Stamp 4 for their spouse. But now that you say that i'm trying to find more things, but it's complicated since i can't get more info on the www.inis.gov.ie. And i don't now many places where i can search.

We usually get this kind of information from another forums, nationals and internationals, and as i told you we have seen them saying that many times, about the visa.
    you really do need to speak to immigration directly and not via other forums or people - we too thought we had all the information, had been told the same as you about getting it quickly and yet when we applied we found out that in fact it is never as easy as many people say.

And about your husband, he was trying to get job only in Balbriggan? Or in the City too? I'm curious about that. And when did he went to Ireland, after or before the recession?

About going to Ireland we have pretty much made up our minds already. It's a good country in our view, despite the problems. And we can only speak english, so it is a choice between UK and Ireland, but since the UK wouldn't allow me in our current situation (we researched about that), then it's only Ireland.

my husband looked all over North County Dublin and City and even on the south side and was prepared to get a bus and 2 trains and travel almost 2 hours each way, and still had no luck. He came to Ireland a year ago. Jobs are very hard to come by. Foreigners will find it even more difficult. In the past non-nationals could get lower wage jobs such as cleaning/waiting staff/hotel work etc as the Irish didn't want these jobs. Now you will have to compete with very qualified Irish people for these jobs, and in most cases, although they will never admit it, an employer will choose an Irish person over a foreigner if they have that choice - and in most cases they do.
    The fact you have no irish work experience or no Irish work references will be particularly difficult for you, as because there is such a choice for employers, they only take the best and now most of them will check references (in the past you could get a job without a reference, but now they do get checked). If you have never worked in Ireland it is difficult to get someone to give you a chance.

and you will find that some people are more 'foreign' than others! what I mean by that is white eastern Europeans are foreign, but looked on more favourably than say an Asian or Middle eastern or African person.

I hope things go well for you and you succeed, but honestly I think you may be disappointed.

If we could go back in time and decide again we would not have come back here. We are lucky in that he has now started his own company - if it were not for this we would be leaving again.

you really do need to speak to immigration directly and not via other forums or people - we too thought we had all the information, had been told the same as you about getting it quickly and yet when we applied we found out that in fact it is never as easy as many people say.

my husband looked all over North County Dublin and City and even on the south side and was prepared to get a bus and 2 trains and travel almost 2 hours each way, and still had no luck. He came to Ireland a year ago. Jobs are very hard to come by. Foreigners will find it even more difficult. In the past non-nationals could get lower wage jobs such as cleaning/waiting staff/hotel work etc as the Irish didn't want these jobs. Now you will have to compete with very qualified Irish people for these jobs, and in most cases, although they will never admit it, an employer will choose an Irish person over a foreigner if they have that choice - and in most cases they do.
    The fact you have no irish work experience or no Irish work references will be particularly difficult for you, as because there is such a choice for employers, they only take the best and now most of them will check references (in the past you could get a job without a reference, but now they do get checked). If you have never worked in Ireland it is difficult to get someone to give you a chance.

and you will find that some people are more 'foreign' than others! what I mean by that is white eastern Europeans are foreign, but looked on more favourably than say an Asian or Middle eastern or African person.

I hope things go well for you and you succeed, but honestly I think you may be disappointed.

If we could go back in time and decide again we would not have come back here. We are lucky in that he has now started his own company - if it were not for this we would be leaving again.

I see. It became much more difficult than before, as i heard, then.

I found this page on the INIS website, look yourself and tell me what you think about it, because seems to me that indeed they changed it.

The link: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU%20Treaty%20Rights%20FAQs

Go to number 13 and take a look, because i might be mistaken. I think it's odd, because of the amount of ppl saying it, and now that text in the INIS website, i'm really lost now! XD

I guess the only way is to hope they reply my mail and help me directly, because it is too complicated rely on others statements as you said.

Another way that i see ppl say is to go as a english student, then as i study/work we can do the process in the meantime, right? Not to mention the course itself that would help me a lot with irish accent and improve my knowledge.

on the website you quote it says the local immigration officer MAY grant - this means they may not, there is no guarantee and in recent times I have not heard of anyone getting this.

Again, I reiterate, you need to speak to INIS directly. I am not an immigration expert, so you need to speak to the people who do this for a living and know what they are talking about.

on the website you quote it says the local immigration officer MAY grant - this means they may not, there is no guarantee and in recent times I have not heard of anyone getting this.

Again, I reiterate, you need to speak to INIS directly. I am not an immigration expert, so you need to speak to the people who do this for a living and know what they are talking about.

Indeed, i already sent an e-mail and i'm waiting for an answer ^^

Thank you very much for your help and informations till now ;)

• Advertisement

IrishManSaipan & Cincikchick - get back on topic, ie, what is Balbriggan like to live in if you are a non-Irish national.

If you wish to discuss racism/patriotism in the work place start a thread in Humanities.

HB

I've removed a number of off-topic posts. Next person to go off-topic gets a ban.

HB

Advertisement