Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Key - Access is Denied

Options
  • 13-04-2010 12:59pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a strange on here:

I have a USB key, all working perfectly, can access it on various PC's except one.

On this particular PC, the driver is picked up when I insert it into a USB port, it detects it, says its installing drivers and then up comes a screen telling me that "Access is Denied". So I go into Device Manager (The PC is running XP SP3) and there it is listed under USB Controllers with a big yellow circle and that ! in the middle.

Its not listed under Disk Management or anywhere else..

I've checked my profile, all is good, I've tried to get someone else to log in and access it under their profile on the same PC but its the same problem.

Its not a permissions issue and not a group policy causing it, as there are none in relation to USB ports or disabling USB ports etc. The registry keys look good and I have admin rights on this PC.

Anyone any ideas as I'm a but stumped!!! :confused:

Tox

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

All sorted, for some reason, even though I was in the local administrators group on the PC, I was not granted correct access to the \HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR so had to add my own account to this and give full access. :rolleyes:

Methinks its time rebuild this baby..

Tox

Advertisement