Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yearly NCT for cars 10years or older & Second hand Values

Options
  • 13-04-2010 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭

Are we going to see a big price drop in the value of second hand cars 10 years or older after January if there forced to get an NCT every year?
    Is this going to put a lot of good cars off the road as people don't want the trouble of NCT'ing every year especially when it's next to impossible to get an NCT date at the moment.
    Will a lot more cars be driving illegally as they can't get an NCT or will prices just plummet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Are we going to see a big price drop in the value of second hand cars 10 years or older after January if there forced to get an NCT every year?
    Is this going to put a lot of good cars off the road as people don't want the trouble of NCT'ing every year especially when it's next to impossible to get an NCT date at the moment.
    Will a lot more cars be driving illegally as they can't get an NCT or will prices just plummet?

Is this going to happen?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

vectra wrote: »
    Is this going to happen?:confused:

I hope not, I can't get an NCT date at the moment, god knows what it's going to be like next year, a 2yr wait for a yearly NCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

wasnt this just a mooted idea and not actually confirmed yet?
    I doubt NCTS have the infrastructure to cope with any more NCT eligible cars tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I can see it having a positive effect on prices to be honest on decent runners. A lot of these cars are doing small mileage anyway so a yearly health check...more than I give myself tbh;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the cost of the NCT was halved for cars over 10 years and testing capacity around the country is increased I think its a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

From 1 June 2011 annual testing of cars over 10 years old will commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely depreciation has almost bottomed out on a 10 years or older car (unless it is a classic)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

hellboy99 wrote: »
    From 1 June 2011 annual testing of cars over 10 years old will commence.

Just wondering ...my old yoke is due again this year December. So that June 2011 thing means I'll get one more two year run out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

peasant wrote: »
    Just wondering ...my old yoke is due again this year December. So that June 2011 thing means I'll get one more two year run out of it?

Yes your test should run to dec 2012.

I actually hope they eventually bring in an annual test on all cars like the UK as some people don't look after their cars at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lisnagry

Yes your test should run to dec 2012.

I actually hope they eventually bring in an annual test on all cars like the UK as some people don't look after their cars at all.

And lots of people do look after theri cars!! So why should they pay again?
    Mabey a few road traffic laws should be enforced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

True, but they'd want to make it a lot easier to get an appointment though; remember that normal garages can be authorised to do the MOT in the UK.

Lisnagry wrote: »
    And lots of people do look after theri cars!! So why should they pay again?
    Mabey a few road traffic laws should be enforced!

Yes lots do but not the majority. I look after my car and I don't mind paying yearly.

Its a cheap check up if you look at it that way compared to leaving it into a garage to look over it.

And yes your right too about the need for some traffic laws to be enforced!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

UK MoT is a joke, when I was there the guys in the house got theirs done in the pub by the local mechanic for beer money

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

eoin wrote: »
    True, but they'd want to make it a lot easier to get an appointment though; remember that normal garages can be authorised to do the MOT in the UK.

I agree 100% with you on the appointment issue. I think there is not enough test centres and I'd prefer it like it is in Ireland as garages can "make" work for themselves by failing cars that shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

slave1 wrote: »
    UK MoT is a joke, when I was there the guys in the house got theirs done in the pub by the local mechanic for beer money

And I hope you made a complaint and all that:D;):p

Advertisement