Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on a poker decision..

Options
  • 13-04-2010 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I was at a tournament tonight and the play developed as follows...This is No Limit Texas Hold'em tournament..

Blinds were at 300/600, Player 3 "under the gun" raises all in to 7000, players 4 & 5 fold, Player 6 then goes all-in with 2500...

What options do the following players sitting in seats 7,8,9 have?

My opinion was that they could only call the original raise.... I have searched the net for other examples like this but cannot find any...

One person said that they have the option to re-raise the original all-in bet of 7000..

I'm aware of the under raise and "full bet" rules but this does not suffice in this situation..

If anyone could help I'd appreciate it... I open to the fact that I am wrong...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I was at a tournament tonight and the play developed as follows...This is No Limit Texas Hold'em tournament..

Blinds were at 300/600, Player 3 "under the gun" raises all in to 7000, players 4 & 5 fold, Player 6 then goes all-in with 2500...

My opinion was that they could only call the original raise.... I have searched the net for other examples like this but cannot find any...

One person said that they have the option to re-raise the original all-in bet of 7000..

I'm aware of the under raise and "full bet" rules but this does not suffice in this situation..

i play a bit online, surely they have 3 choices, Folding, Calling the 7,000 or going all in themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 themessishow

Do you treat the 2500 as merely a call and deal with after all the betting as concluded??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Do you treat the 2500 as merely a call and deal with after all the betting as concluded??

If he goes all in on 2500 then yes, it's a call, if he went all in, say 10,000 then the following 3 players would have to call 10k or fold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Players 7,8,9 have the option to call the 7000, raise or go all in themselves. Just say players 7 and 8 fold and player 9 calls, then the main pot is 7500 (3 x 2500) between players 3,6 and 9. The remaining 9000 is a side pot between players 3 and 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

I'd just shove and hope they fold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Players in seat 7, 8 & 9 have all their betting options open to them as they have not acted yet. All other players can either call the 7,000 bet, raise or fold.

Say for example the bet from Seat 3 (7,000) gets three callers from seat 7, 8 & seat 1 in the small blind....The pot will be worked out as follows;
    Seat 6 will be involved in the main pot which will be 13,100 (four callers of 2,500 along with the big blind of 600).
    Meanwhile the side pot will be 18,000 (4,500 is the bet from seats 1,3,8 & 9).

Hope this helps and hope I haven't made this unnecessarily complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

if 7 8 9 had a good hand then call. the caller with 2500, called cause he needed a double up before the blinds got him again. he was prob taking a shot with any two cards. if 7 8 9 had j high or Ace 8 then fold, u dont want the short stack being tripled up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

the action is 7000, the can call raise or fold as they see fit.
    you are confusing this situation with another situation.
    an under raise is when a raise doesn't re-open the action to a player who has already acted.
    for example.
    i bet 10000
    you call 10000
    bob raises all in for 12000
    this is an under raise and doesn't give either you or i our actions back. this is because the minimum bet to qualify as a legitimate raise would be 20000.
    if in this situation there were more players to act after bob then they would have all their options available to them as they had not previously acted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

the action is 7000, the can call raise or fold as they see fit.
    you are confusing this situation with another situation.
    an under raise is when a raise doesn't re-open the action to a player who has already acted.
    for example.
    i bet 10000
    you call 10000
    bob raises all in for 12000
    this is an under raise and doesn't give either you or i our actions back. this is because the minimum bet to qualify as a legitimate raise would be 20000.
    if in this situation there were more players to act after bob then they would have all their options available to them as they had not previously acted.

Sorry. I'm not to down too well with poker rules.
    Lets say 3 players at the table. As you say, player 1 bets 10,000, player 2 calls ...player 3 goes all in for 12,000. Wouldnt action go back to player 1 to put in another 2000 to call? then player 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

whatsamsn wrote: »
    Sorry. I'm not to down too well with poker rules.
    Lets say 3 players at the table. As you say, player 1 bets 10,000, player 2 calls ...player 3 goes all in for 12,000. Wouldnt action go back to player 1 to put in another 2000 to call? then player 2?

Yes it would but if a player has not yet acted and there is an under-raise that player still has all options open to him/her.

Hope this makes sense. In you example player one and two both acted and then there was an under-raise.
    Example (three handed) would be if player 1 & 2 were in small and big blind for 500/1,000. If player in seat three raises all-in to 1,200 then both players in sb and bb have all their options open to raise, call or fold to the bet of 1,200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Ah I get ya.

Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Onsberg

scudzilla wrote: »
    If he goes all in on 2500 then yes, it's a call, if he went all in, say 10,000 then the following 3 players would have to call 10k or fold
    This is not correct.

If the 3 players did not act before the 10k All-In during that betting round, then they still have 3 options: Fold, Call, Raise.

Advertisement