Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Auto

Options
  • 13-04-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I have searched boards for this subject and I do not think this has been covered.
    I have a browning semi auto. Family heir loom from 1956 so I would like to keep it. Is also the one I got into clays with and still use it. I am a member of a gun club and shoot clays. So as I submit FCA1 will I have an issue with this restricted firearm. It holds 5 cartridges, anyone know what is involved in reducing that to 3 if there is an issue. I have had it for years, an no other issues re FCA1.

As always,

TIA

David
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

You can leave it as a 5 shot and apply for it as a restricted firearm. Alternatively you can get it restricted to three shots and apply for it as a non restricted firearm.
    To take the second option bring it to any decent firearms dealer and they will be able to put a plastic plug in the tube. Then get them to write you a letter saying your gun can only hold 3 rounds. Submit this with your FCA1 form to the gards and you should have no problem.
    I should note the plug will not be a permanent restriction but legally speaking if you apply for a non restricted gun you need to leave it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 david5624

Appreciate the response. Reading the legislation, I was concerned that strictly speaking I do not need a semi auto (Restricted) to shoot clays and sentiment or familiarity may not be good enough of a reason to have a restricted firearm. I can ask the FO in the Station. Legally it should never hold more than 3 cartridges so sticking a plastic bung in it would not be the end of the world.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Just put down you shoot pigeons with it also. You will be fine. Plenty of lads have semi autos including myself. Once I plugged it and got the letter there was no problem.
    I wouldn't go asking because you will give them a chance to refuse you. Just send it in and Im sure it will be grand. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FACT in all of the above.Dont bother asking,just go and buy even a wooden dowel and cut it to length yourself and get a gunsmith to certify it is 3 shot.I was refused on a Remington1100 that was five shot,because I wanted it for crow and piegon shooting.Am now awaiting the 3 month decision and have it blocked to three shots lest I go on a rampage with a five shot shotgun.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.Even off the records one of my Garda contacts who has a semi auto shotgun himself said I was playing too straight on the application.:eek:There you have it from the Horses mouth !Trying to obey the firearms law and doing it right here is playing too straight..:mad::mad::mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

FYI
    Took application to FO in my South County Dublin Garda Station and was told to go get it plugged as all applications for restricted firearms were being refused. So advice above was the correct one. I have used Rod and Gun in Tallaght before but takes time re when gunsmith there. Any other suggestions for a quick plugging service in Dublin as want this behind me.

TIA

David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

all applications for restricted firearms were being refused

:eek:

You didn't perhaps get that sweeping generalisation and extra-legal statement in writing? There are plenty of lads here who would find such a document very useful.;)
    I have used Rod and Gun in Tallaght before but takes time re when gunsmith there

Quelle Surprise!:D

Should be a relatively straight forward job I would have thought - Don't know if Fergal White works on shotguns at all, but it should be well within his capabilities.

Alternatively, try Courtlough in Balbriggan.

Or try Neil in Crescent Sports in Monkstown - I'd be very surprised if he didn't know of a good gunsmith around the south dublin area.

Just back from Station so thought I would share experience.(at least some of it)
    FO works from 2PM to 10PM. SHE was very forthcoming and helpful.
    I am a member of Courtlough so will call Liam in the AM.
    tks
    David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    :eek:

You didn't perhaps get that sweeping generalisation and extra-legal statement in writing? There are plenty of lads here who would find such a document very useful.;)

Quelle Surprise!:D

Should be a relatively straight forward job I would have thought - Don't know if Fergal White works on shotguns at all, but it should be well within his capabilities. Fergal does excellant work on shotguns!
    I saw him doing a nice job on one yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The 2009 Remington catalogue shows a shotgun plug on page 88. It is obviously available as an aftermarket part and would not need a genius to fit it.

sfakiaman wrote: »
    The 2009 Remington catalogue shows a shotgun plug on page 88. It is obviously available as an aftermarket part and would not need a genius to fit it.

The owners manual indicates that the Gun came with a magazine plug but I am sure that was discarded back in 1956. I am sure it will be easy to obtain something suitable. FO wants certification that plug is fitted by a Gun dealer. Will ring around.

David

• Advertisement

Just to close this one out. A plug is not permanent so wording of Gun Smith's letter might pose a problem so I will go ahead and get it permanently limited to 3 cartridges by crimping the magazine. Appreciate the feedback.

David

Neil at Crescent Sports in Monkstown arranged the neutering of the semi-auto (from max cartridges 5 to 3) and the letter provided satisfied Gardai. Licence was turned around in 5 working days which was impressive.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

david5624 wrote: »
    FYI
    Took application to FO in my South County Dublin Garda Station and was told to go get it plugged as all applications for restricted firearms were being refused. So advice above was the correct one. I have used Rod and Gun in Tallaght before but takes time re when gunsmith there. Any other suggestions for a quick plugging service in Dublin as want this behind me.

TIA

David

Strong statement that is. Unless I'm completely mistaken every application needs to be considered on it's own merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Strong statement that is. Unless I'm completely mistaken every application needs to be considered on it's own merits.

In reality things are somewhat different

david5624 wrote: »
    I have searched boards for this subject and I do not think this has been covered.
    I have a browning semi auto. Family heir loom from 1956 so I would like to keep it. Is also the one I got into clays with and still use it. I am a member of a gun club and shoot clays. So as I submit FCA1 will I have an issue with this restricted firearm. It holds 5 cartridges, anyone know what is involved in reducing that to 3 if there is an issue. I have had it for years, an no other issues re FCA1.

As always,

TIA

David

Just out of interest, is it an FN or an American made one ?

It is an FN.

Get it plugged and licenced so if they refuse you a restricted licence. Afterwards maybe send it in to a chap who knows what he's doing for a good clean up and a look at the mechanics. Those FN made A5's are one of the best semi-auto shotguns ever made and will tolerate any amount of use even a good deal of abuse.

I recently fired one ( licenced and all ) that took me and another lad ( licence holder who sort of inherited it from a relative ) about half an hour to get moving again as it had completely gunked up and was coated in superficial corrossion due to awful storage for years.

Liberal quantities of gun oil, brillo pads and some ram rodding with a steel bar came into it. Once the majority of the crap was removed and the bolt moved and locked again we took her apart and had look through the barrel that looked servicable.

Next step was was putting her back together, load the magazine and tie her to a wheelbarrow full of rubble and tie about 20 yards of string around the trigger ( so we could hide behind a wall when it fired ). Racked the bolt. Went for the wall and fingers crossed, took up the slack and BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG...success. The gun is soon to be brought to a qualified person for full clean up, bonus is that it still has all the original hardwood bits attached in fairly good condition.

Advertisement