Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel efficiency comparisons?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously there's a big difference between driving a 1.2 and a 2 litre petrol. I'm just wondering, realistically, what kind of added expense are we talking about for someone who would only drive approx 5k per year? Currently, €40-€60 a month would do me, if that!

I've been driving the same shít box for approx 6 years now, there's been more than one occasion that I've planned to get a newer, better car but nothing ever materialized. After spending a little over a week in a 09 Lancer Sportback (which was sweet!) recently, it was more than scary just how unsafe I felt climbing back in to my own car (punto:()

It's time I moved on and indulged myself. So, the cars I'm considering would range from anything up to a 2litre, so apart from tax I need to know what kind of money we're talking about, just to be sure that it's actually feasible!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

what kind of added expense are we talking about for someone who would only drive approx 5k per year? Currently, €40-€60 a month would do me, if that!
    The tax/insurance stuff you can figure out yourself.
    The fuel stuff depends on what the 5k consists of. What's the percentage city/M/N/twisties?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,203 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What kind of annual mileage are you doing? Where is the car mostly going to be used, ie around town or commuting on motorways? A 2.0 litre petrol car can be good on fuel if you spend a bit of time driving on motorways, etc, whereas it would not be if spending your day driving around a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

For cost comparisons you can easily knock up an Excel spread sheet. Use the MPG figures from Parkers or honest John alng with today's fuel prices.
    For example I was looking at the differences between a petrol & diesel variant of a particular car ~3.0L. Because I do 13k miles per annum the difference in fuel cost for the year work out at €300 extra for the petrol variant. That works out at €6 extra a week.
    When you factor in that the diesel variant of the car I'm looking at is currently valued at €5k-€6k more than the petrol. So cheap running costs is a little bit more complex than choosing a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Oh to be doing just 5k miles a year. It would be an M5 for me.
    Anyway, Fuel cost difference wouldnt be worth talking about over that amont of mileage. It would only be 2 to 300 euro extra per year. All other costs will be scaled up to a similar degree though from tax, insurance (depending on age), servicing, tyres etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks guys.

Driving mainly consists of commuting down the M50, I wouldn't do much inner city driving for instance.

@mickdw, an M5 would be nice, but a little out of my range. :) I would like to indulge myself with as little money as possible!

I just checked out 123.ie to see what kind of quote I would get, using a 2.0 406 SE Coupe as an example. Actually wasn't too bad! €775 Fully Comp.

If anyone wants to recommend anything for up to €3500 I'd be appreciative.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eh, I just got the exact same quote on an Audi A6 2.4 auto.

Can that be right?

The tax would be too high for me to consider the car, but still. Not a bad quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

My dad recently switched to a 2 litre petrol Mondeo from a 1.6 Focus. He does about 10k kms a year, mostly around town.

He's spending about €5 a week more on juice since swapping over and he's using all his new toys too. But as this is around town mainly it's not really accurate I suppose. Little seperates most petrols about town tbh.

Advertisement