Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a Guy Out!

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hello fashionistas.

I have an awards ceremony coming up next week and I haven't a clue what I'm doing about it clothes-wise. It'd be formal-ish but not too formal like. Any ideas, my friends?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What kind of awards ceremony?

Work? What area do you work in?

Sport? A club? What kind of sport/club?

An annual event or a one off? Sit down meal???

Formal? I would say tux/black tie. Not too formal? I would say suit.

But if you could give more info about the event could probably give you better advice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Cheers for the reply.

National Student Media awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I reckon you need to go suit at the very least...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Well (if) you're young so don't go too ott - Imo you can't go too wrong with a suit - if it FITS!

Don't wear a suit that is too big for you, you'll look like you borrowed your dads or are Derek from Crystal Swing Meths :D

At the same time it's a cool enough/trendy gig you are going to. Are you a journalist??????? You can get away with a reasonably sloppy/relaxed look then.....?

Oh god the more I write, the more unsure I am. Take what you will from the above. Hopefully some real fashionista will post some real advice.

Well done on the award. Enjoy the night!

zoegh wrote: »
    I reckon you need to go suit at the very least...
    amdublin wrote: »
    Well (if) you're young so don't go too ott - Imo you can't go too wrong with a suit - if it FITS!

Don't wear a suit that is too big for you, you'll look like you borrowed your dads or are Derek from Crystal Swing Meths :D

At the same time it's a cool enough/trendy gig you are going to. Are you a journalist??????? You can get away with a reasonably sloppy/relaxed look then.....?

Oh god the more I write, the more unsure I am. Take what you will from the above. Hopefully some real fashionista will post some real advice.

Well done on the award. Enjoy the night!

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking the same amdublin, anything but Crystal Swing! :pac:
    White shirt and skinny black tie half crossed my mind but I want to see what other people think.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hey, here's last year's winners.

http://www.oxygen.ie/scripts/xposed/gallery.php?g=128

I reckon a shirt and tie would be fine.

But if you have a really sharp, smart, fitted suit sure wear that. The ladies will love it. But it will have to be really sharp! ;)

amdublin wrote: »
    Hey, here's last year's winners.

http://www.oxygen.ie/scripts/xposed/gallery.php?g=128

I reckon a shirt and tie would be fine.

But if you have a really sharp, smart, fitted suit sure wear that. The ladies will love it. But it will have to be really sharp! ;)

Ahh that's a handy guide. Great find. Much appreciated!
    For reference sake, how sharp is a sharp suit? Like what style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

In situations like these, I always tend to dress a little different to everyone else to make sure I stand out (cos I'm that narcissistic). If everyone else is wearing a shirt and tie, I'll wear a suit. If everyone else is wearing a suit, I'll wear a smart suit jacket with a shirt (top button open and untucked), maybe a skinny tie (but worn loose if I do), jeans and converse. A big tip on dressing well: It's not always what you wear but how you wear it. Dunno if that helps though. If you wanna fit the bill, ignore my advice. If you wanna look well and stand out, there ya have it. ;)

In situations like these, I always tend to dress a little different to everyone else to make sure I stand out (cos I'm that narcissistic). If everyone else is wearing a shirt and tie, I'll wear a suit. If everyone else is wearing a suit, I'll wear a smart suit jacket with a shirt (top button open and untucked), maybe a skinny tie (but worn loose if I do), jeans and converse. A big tip on dressing well: It's not always what you wear but how you wear it. Dunno if that helps though. If you wanna fit the bill, ignore my advice. If you wanna look well and stand out, there ya have it. ;)

Awesome, good tips. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thefireinside

I think a nice grey suit pants (river island, next, zara could be good options here) maybe with a slight pinstripe, a crisp fitted white shirt and a skinny black tie would do the job :) and smart shiny black shoes. a classic look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

My bro was at them last year (won best small college publication thing /pride) and he just wore slacks and a shirt. It's not overly formal but I wouldn't turn up in jeans either. Best of luck!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Nothing beats a nice black suit. Gotta say.

And if you want to go for a slightly different look, try some of these (saw them in movies/TV shows and thought they looked great!)

-Black suit with a black polo neck
    -Black suit, black shirt and a grey patterened tie
    -Grey suit, purple/red shirt

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

M&S are doing some wonderful linen suits (link) at the moment (Roughly €200). This give you a very loose relaxed look, crumpled and casual but still maintains the sharp dressed image of a suit. Either wear a proper tie or preferably a bowtie and avoid the skinny tie, it's been done to death now. If you are going for a necktie then wear it properly or not at all. The loosened tie around the neck for an awards is just sloppy.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    M&S are doing some wonderful linen suits (link) at the moment (Roughly €200). This give you a very loose relaxed look, crumpled and casual but still maintains the sharp dressed image of a suit. Either wear a proper tie or preferably a bowtie and avoid the skinny tie, it's been done to death now. If you are going for a necktie then wear it properly or not at all. The loosened tie around the neck for an awards is just sloppy.

Yeah loosened ties are awful to be fair.
    DazMarz wrote: »
    Nothing beats a nice black suit. Gotta say.

And if you want to go for a slightly different look, try some of these (saw them in movies/TV shows and thought they looked great!)

-Black suit with a black polo neck
    -Black suit, black shirt and a grey patterened tie
    -Grey suit, purple/red shirt

etc.

Some of these sound pretty good. I'll have to see what I come up with.
    I think a nice grey suit pants (river island, next, zara could be good options here) maybe with a slight pinstripe, a crisp fitted white shirt and a skinny black tie would do the job :) and smart shiny black shoes. a classic look!

That combination is awesome. Really classic look!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

If you are going down the suit road

I would recommend the following

decent fitting suit and shirt open collar no tie

if the suit is striped plain pastel coloured shirt

if the suit is plain coloured then a stripe shirt underneath any colours once it suits you skin tone.

stripe suit and stripe shirt = too many and will look mad in photo's

if your plan is to buy an allrounder suit (i.e. a suit that will come out for weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs then I would recommend spending a few bob on a decent tailored suit it will last years)

hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I don't think I'll be going down the overly formal route right now. If I ended up the only guy in a suit, I'd look like a bit of a plank (regardless of how awesome it'd be! :D).

I'll be snooping around shops tomorrow anyway. I'll let you all know what I go with in the end.

Advertisement