Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Actual cost of drving test is €120

Options
  • 12-04-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

****THERE IS NO NEED TO PANIC****

Instead of hi-jacking the "pass rates are back! thread. I thought I'd start a new one. In the thread:
    Originally Posted by Alanstrainor viewpost.gif
    Except the full cost of each driving test is €120, so the €75 is still not covering the full cost. That and the most recent increase was the first since 1992. It was a long time coming imo. As a money making racket, it fails miserably

Now can some explain to me., how in the name of fudge does it cost €120 for a male/female to sit in the car with you for 40 mins and then tell you that you've passed or failed?

Lets be honest the offices arent that high spec (I can only speak for Finglas- big open room with desks and these fabric like dividers)

Any understanding of this would be most helpful?!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Richard, i just edited your post to fix the quote in it to make it clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭donkey balls

120e is that for a car test? when i did mine all those years ago i think it was £30 for the car £50 for the ridgid& £60 for the artic.

would it be anything to do with the fact that some of the tests are done by a private company

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Simply Richard because the Irish folks will sit back and say "arrgh sure there is nothin we can do about it" / "what can you do?"

We Irish for some strange reason accept it, and the resulting factor is they keep pushing the envelope further and further and further.......

I tell you this **** wouldn't go down in France without uproar. ( In general not just the price of a car test)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

120e is that for a car test? when i did mine all those years ago i think it was £30 for the car £50 for the ridgid& £60 for the artic.

would it be anything to do with the fact that some of the tests are done by a private company

I think it should be made clear. The cost of the "car" B category test is €75, but the total cost to the RSA to carry out each test is €120. I believe the OP is looking for the break down of costs of that €120.

EDIT: To reiterate the point that was made in the original thread.
    The cost of the driving test was increased from €38 to €75 in April of '09. This was the first price increase since 1992. The driving test had been subsidised by the government to the tune of €22 million before this price increase. The government still does not break even even with the increased price.

Now, i know in a lot of cases, people make excuses and say "ah sure it's grand". But in this instance i'd say the increase was justified, 17 years is a long time to not increase the price. If only the price of Guinness today was the same as it was in 1992!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I think it should be made clear. The cost of the "car" B category test is €75, but the total cost to the RSA to carry out each test is €120. I believe the OP is looking for the break down of costs of that €120.

i wouldnt know the costs these days that 120e would that cover the theory test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

oh boo-hoo ...my driving test cost 750 Euro and that was in 1983 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

This was the first price increase since 1992.

Whenever I hear about things in the 90's it doesn't seem that long ago & I was actually shocked when you wrote '17 years ago'!! Still can't believe it's that long...I must have had more birthdays than I thought!

Sorry, that's a bit off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

]Now can some explain to me., how in the name of fudge does it cost €120 for a male/female to sit in the car with you for 40 mins and then tell you that you've passed or failed?
    Large organisations are expensive to run.

Salaries, tax, training, benefits, insurance and pensions for the testers (all categories!), administrators, managers, supervisors, telephone operators, temps, contractors etc...

Insurance, rent/capital cost, electricity, heating, phone, it, building maintenance, grounds maintenance, rates(?), improvements, office supplies, coffee for a bunch of testing centres across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I paid for one yesterday, it was €75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

120 euro is an enormous amount of money. Rates in UK are unbelievable. OT I know, but my car is 471euro p.a to tax here, 180 pounds p.a in the UK. A disgrace.

Thread title updated to make it clearer.
    murrayp4 wrote: »
    I paid for one yesterday, it was €75
    The test does indeed cost 75. However the point being made is that the cost to the RSA to facilitate each test is 120. Therefore it is subsidised to the tune of €45 by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Thread title updated to make it clearer.

The test does indeed cost 75. However the point being made is that the cost to the RSA to facilitate each test is 120. Therefore it is subsidised to the tune of €45 by the government.

Maybe thats where our motor tax money is going, cause its sure not going on the roads.

Advertisement