Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mother Returning to Work?

• 12-04-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi Everyone, I got great advice here last week and now I need your help again please. My wife hasnt been in the Workplace for nearly 4 years as she has been rearing our kids. With the kids getting older she now wants to return to work but hasnt had any luck yet. When she left her last job she got paid Maternity benefit by her employer but when that ran out I was able to afford to pay the bills etc. She worked for approx 4 years previous to having kids and would have paid PRSI throughout this time. She has never claimed Job seekers benefit or allowance before. A friend of ours who is in a similar situation is getting Job Seekers benefit but she has been employed 12 months ago. Is my wife entitled to anything if she doesnt get a job soon or until she does find one? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If she has enough PRSI contributions then she would be able to claim but if not she would be means tested which would be hard to argue as you have survived OK up till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MagicMan2

Just to update she went to our local social welfare office today and because her last PRSI contributions were in 2007 we have missed the opportunity to be entitled to job seekers benefit. I didnt know there was a time requirement I just thought that as you had built up enough stamps you would be ok(she had 5 years worth of PRSI). We will survive although its going to be tight but this might help someone else who is running out of time.

Advertisement