Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Willow

Options
  • 12-04-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

I'd like to build some kind of living willow wigwam or dome type thing. I see you can buy "kits" from UK websites. Has anyone any experience of these and what is involved. I've also seen courses advertised. Is it do-able without being taught or going on a course? Does anyone know of Irish suppliers?
    I've a feeling I'm starting at the wrong time of year :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CDog

Hi littlebug,

I read some information on the dyg blog about living willow structures, I think they supply them on their online shop but if its bare root then its probably getting a bit late now for planting them.

Regards,
    CDog

ps. no affiliation to the site

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

I've considered doing something like that too. My plan is to build a lightweight geodesic dome first. I've done a few of those before and they're pretty easy to build. Check out www.desertdomes.com for a load of information on them. Then plant a circle of willow trees and weave them using the geodesic structure as a framework and additional support. After 2 years the willows should be established enough to remove the supports.

I hope that plan is some use to you.

johno

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

littlebug wrote: »
    I'd like to build some kind of living willow wigwam or dome type thing. I see you can buy "kits" from UK websites. Has anyone any experience of these and what is involved. I've also seen courses advertised. Is it do-able without being taught or going on a course? Does anyone know of Irish suppliers?
    I've a feeling I'm starting at the wrong time of year :rolleyes:

Littlebug have you made any progress on this Quest,i am thinking of doing the same but there dosnt seem o be a whole lot of info regarding sourceing them and whatnot,,,,i have found out that the time of yea to do t is Dec,Jan,Feb, There are a few nice ones that were planted in around Jan i think just on the roundabout of The M7 in Kildaretown just outside the Village outlet,,,,

Advertisement