Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free advice from clever accountants needed!!

Options
  • 12-04-2010 5:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hiya,

Am in need of some quick advice, from any clever accountants! I am looking at starting up a nanny agency, and am currently a sole trader. Now I know I will have to change to a limited company before I begin an agency (i guess??) but my main questions relate to the financial/legal side of running an agency.
    I will not be paying the nannies (the families do) but I will be taking a placement fee from the families. Any thoughts/knowledge on any other issues financially i should be aware of when running such an agency? I'm not employing anyone at this stage other than myself so cant think of any other obvious legal concerns...please help me with your brain power!

Thanks!!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

The obvious thing that I would be concerned about would be ensuring your adequately covered if a nanny was to injure a child or similar.

Is there any risk of you being seen as the employer rather than the family?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭catlovesmike

No I am simply the middle man, finding the nanny for the family then placing them there. The family takes all costs from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

maybe you should speak to some nannies and get their perspective on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

As above, make sure you are not the employer or be seen to be in any way..and also insurance is a big point. Both of these im sure can be covered by a lawyer in a contract that can be signed my all three parties with a disclaimer saying the family are the employer and also that you accept no responsibility for actions of the nanny..Might not be as straight forward as that but it will get you thinking.

Probably best post something over in the legal forum too and see if any body there can add some insight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Just make sure you have adequate insurance and trade through a company to give you limited liability. It would be in your best interest to make sure that the families enter into an employment contact with the nanny and not you. Carry out your due diligence on the nannies e.g. Garda check, work permits, reference letters.

Get your clients to sign a letter of engagement setting out exactly what your companies responsibilities and duties are. You can't take any of the terms and conditions for granted as these types of situations can get very messy when relationships between the nanny and the family doesn't work out, and the family will either blame you or the nanny.

Finally, don't forget about VAT.

Advertisement