Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelander Diesel Head Gasket Problems

Options
  • 12-04-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm aware of the head gasket issues with the Petrol freelanders but can't find any info about the 2.0 Rover Diesel engine that pre-dated the TD4?

Can anyone shed any light on this engine? I know the TD4 is superior engine but this older version can be picked up for next to nothing - i'm just wondering if there are any known issues with it?

Any info would be great, cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 blarneyone

I woula d be very interested in this. I am about to buy a runabout 4x4, Something 2 litre diesel. Have sorta decided on a Vitara but am looking at Freelanders as well and they are well specc'd for the money. Could also get a convertible one.

So Guys what is the story....

BTW I know of a 99 5dr van that is gone to the graveyard but I would say that was a dodgy/crashed one when it was purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

The engine in the diesel freelander is absolutely fine - As reliable as most other unstressed diesels anyway. The thing to consider when you're looking at a freelander, apart from the K series Rover petrol engine of course, is the IRD, Viscous Coupling and rear diff. These issues can affect either, and can cost a lot to put them right....

Ashcroft Transmissions in the UK are generally considered to be THE authority on Landrover transmissions, and they've information on the common faults here:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_8.html

As you can see, prices are horrendous, considering they're parts only and labour would go on top. The local agent for Ashcroft is the ever helpful Jonathan Crozier, who can arrange to get replacement units and take your old exchange unit etc. See www.crozier4x4.com for his contact details.

The one thing about them is that you'll be able to find out whether they're suffering from these types of faults without too much trouble, and once the later type IRD is fitted, you're unlikely to have the problem occur again.

If I was to take a punt on a diesel freelander from around 98-00, I'd just leave a grand in the bank in case I had a failure on the rear drivetrain.... It's not the end of the world, and at least once it goes you can fix it and rest somewhat assured you won't have to do it again too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Cheers for the info, so the engines solid - it's everything else I need to worry about!

How many miles would these run for before these problems become apparent? I'm just wondering if a higher mileage option would be a better bet as it would possibly already have been repaired

Advertisement