Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browsers wont connect to internet

Options
  • 12-04-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

MODS please move if this is not in the correct forum.

I've recently installed a wireless card into my desktop. (DWA 556 Wireless N PCIe Desktop Adapter). Seems to work ok, but My browsers (IE7, Firefox) and Outlook keep disconnecting every about 10 mins. The Network s ok. I can transfer files between PC/Laptop and FTP between PC and WDTV. The network icon is still on and it tells me I'm connected to the internet. The D-Link utility says I'm connected. I can also download torrents at full whack while this is going on.

Any ideas? Is there a setting somewhere I haven't changed?

It's not the firewall because I've disabled it and tried. It's not the router because I've a laptop that connects fine to the internet.

Every time it happens I have to reconnect via the D-link utlity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Quick update and sort of a bumpage.

Updated the network adapter's drivers - no change
    Scanned and removed Malware using Malware bytes - no change
    changed wifi channel from 6 to 8 - no change

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Still downloading torrents? The biggest limitation of torrents is yer ASDL backchannel. Slow down the torrents and this may cure yer problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the same problem even when I'm not downloading torrents. The only reason I included the fact that I could still download torrents was to highlight the fact that my connection was still active while my browsers thought it wasn't....!!!

FWIW, Changed security on my network from WEP to WAP/PSK- no change.

Ok it looks like I've solved this problem for now.

I've uninstalled the D-Link software utility and the drivers supplied by D-Link.
    Installed atheros_wifi_8.0.0.279_7.7.449-456. I used the version for the AR5008 version found on this page: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/atheros.htm.
    I Installed the Atheros utitly and used the ndis6x driver.

Seems to be working ok for now (well 4 hours and no disconnect).

i'll keep you informed if there's any change because this seems to be a problem a lot of people are having with this adapter. Maybe google searches will bring up this page.

Advertisement