Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days of Heaven

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Declan Lynch the author gave me a signed copy of his new book 'Days of Heaven'.

I was going to save it for my holidays in July but I'm curious to know what other people think of it.

Thats if anyone has read it of course :)

Actually any input on Declans writing would be welcome so I can wind him up or tell him how great he is :P.

Here is a description of the book :

'Declan Lynch recalls the great moments -- Packie's save and his leap into immortality; Pavarotti's 'Nessun Dorma' and U2's 'Put 'Em Under Pressure'; Kevin Sheedy's sweet strike; and all that drinking. Days of Heaven is full of hilarious accounts of how the Irish abandoned reality in that glorious time called Italia 90. But it wasn't just the fortunes of the football team that were changing during the Charlton Years. The economy was about to be utterly transformed; the Church was on the verge of disaster; there were Irish people winning Oscars and selling millions of rock 'n' roll albums; there were new voices in the media; and a woman was running for President. And there was Jack, our most unlikely icon. In this brilliant book, Declan Lynch brings it all together, the sporting, the social and the autobiographical. Dermot Morgan and Father Michael Cleary were part of the story too; U2 and UB40 made their contributions alongside Eamon Dunphy and Charles Haughey. Days of Heaven brings us back to this extraordinary time. And it brings it all to life again.'

I was stuck in London working that summer and only got to see the penno shootout on my lunchbreak and had to go back to work ever since I've felt I missed out on something special.

Advertisement