Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my purchases protected with a credit card?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

If i purchase something with a credit card in a shop and i loose it or it gets stolen can i claim the full amount back from my credit card company??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

If you loose it or have it stolen from you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 karlcon

yeah, well either, i have a friend who bought some books for me and left the bag on the bus, i said she might be able to claim because she purchased them with her credit card, not sure tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You are protected for things like an internet shop going bust before you have your goods or sometimes travel insurance (limited) if you book tickets with a card.
    A credit card won't cover you against stupidity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So your friend lost the books then, they weren't stolen and no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

karlcon wrote: »
    If i purchase something with a credit card in a shop and i loose it or it gets stolen can i claim the full amount back from my credit card company??

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CH3OH

A lot of the replies seem to have made the assumption that the answer is automatically NO.
    A quick google :
    http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&q=credit+card+Purchase+Protection+Insurance&meta=cr%3DcountryIE&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=833c7385df093698

It very much depends on the type of credit card and the issuer but it certainly seems to be available on some credit cards. I'm sure there are restrictive terms and conditions but it may be worth ringing the credit card issuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

If your card covers you for loss/theft - there will probably be a minimum amount below which you can't claim . I.e Ulster will only pay out if the purchase is worth €50 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

does ulster credit card cover these by default?

does ulster credit card cover these by default?

I think it is only in the UK with their Gold card.

• Advertisement

The purchase protection is also included if you are aUfirst account holder in Ireland with Ulstr - but there is a monthly fee for this account.

Advertisement