Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holmes traded to Jets

Options
  • 12-04-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

I thought, much like the McNabb trade that this needed it's own thread.

The Steelers have traded Santonio Holmes to the Jets for a 5th rounder. Holmes has been the centre of controversy since winning Superbowl MVP honours and is currently being investigated for assualting a woman.

It seems like a very low draft choice but the message it sends to Steeler players and fans is very important-winning football games isnt as important as placing a black mark on the Steeler franchise, who I applaud for taking a moral stand against a player who consistently flaunted the standards expected of him...now if only they could sort of number 7!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Wow thats huge for the Steelers, clearly they aren't happy with some of the antics of their players. Apparently Big Ben's troubles will come to nothing with the law, but will he be disciplined by the team?

For the Jets this is a great fillip. Getting him for a 5 is a bargain from the Steelers. With Edwards, Holmes and Keller to catch balls, Sanchez can do very well this year. I'd have them as favourites currently in the AFC East although the Pats and Dolphins have big potential in this draft in particular the Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

themont85 wrote: »
    Wow thats huge for the Steelers, clearly they aren't happy with some of the antics of their players. Apparently Big Ben's troubles will come to nothing with the law, but will he be disciplined by the team?

Even if nothing comes of it having two sexual assualt charges in a three year period and his motorbike crash that nearly killed him are not what the face of a franchise needs to do. The Steelers have made a stand with Holmes and just got rid of a problem but I doubt they will be anything about Ben for no other reason than he is a top five QB in the league
    For the Jets this is a great fillip. Getting him for a 5 is a bargain from the Steelers. With Edwards, Holmes and Keller to catch balls, Sanchez can do very well this year. I'd have them as favourites currently in the AFC East although the Pats and Dolphins have big potential in this draft in particular the Pats.

This move is very reminiscent of Randy Moss(that was for a fifth as well wasnt it?) and his move to the Pats. With Edwards and Holmes on the outside-and in contract years-the Jets should be very productive and it will have been for very little cost. To get two talented WRs for a third and two fifths is great business by Rex Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

What is Tomlin doing?
    No star receivers, a QB that attracts more law suits than Eminem, a defence lacking belief and a serious run stopper and the leagues greatest safety is left as the only shining light.....

Contrast that with Rex Ryan....
    Added a really good (not great) cover corner in Cromartie, causing opponents to have to focus on TE drills or strong running. Who do you throw to when you are facing Revis Island on one side and Cromartie on the other? Their pass rush is lights out. The old 46 defense, Rex's Dad famous 85 Bear's, is back!!!
    A deep threat in Edwards although he needs catching practice. A strong route runner in Holmes (Superbowl 43 MVP no less)
    The addition of LT has numerous advantages. Not only are they going to get a solid 900+ yards runner but they now have a HOF running back to coach Greene and whoever else carries for Gang Green in 2010.

I have to disagree with the previous poster, that NYJ are favourites in the AFC east. The game isn't played on paper but whether or not they win the big show this year Rex Ryan is building a beast of a team.
    A lot is going to depend on QB Sanchez growing into his workload and spreading the ball more.

One thing I will say is - September is just tooooooo far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Shocking to say the least.
    You'd think with all the WR needy teams ,that Pittsburgh could (and should IMO) have gotten way more than one 5th!

I will say this, the Jets have the makings of a good ball club for next season, and could challenge deep into the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

WTF!!

This seems like a crazy move. Ok if the guy is trouble, think about getting rid of him but at least get a decent return. Seems very low to me. Heinz Ward is not getting any younger either so Steelers could well struggle at WR.

As great as Ben can be at scrambling, he needs WRs to throw to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Funny thing is about this trade is that Holmes still could be suspended for the drug charges and miss 4 of the 12 games he is eligible to play for the Jets under his current contract. And with the Jets playing it by year on whether to extend the contract it will be interesting to see if Holmes can keep himself out of trouble.

Funny thing is about this trade is that Holmes still could be suspended for the drug charges and miss 4 of the 12 games he is eligible to play for the Jets under his current contract

Why is he only eligible for 12 games as things stand now? I thought he was eligible for a full season(right now) than would be suspended for 4 games as a result of his drug test.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Why is he only eligible for 12 games as things stand now? I thought he was eligible for a full season(right now) than would be suspended for 4 games as a result of his drug test.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817772e1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

on NFL.com it only says he's facing a 4 match ban - id say that the 12 game figure is inclusive of the (probable IMO) 4 game ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

frostie500 wrote: »

Yeah my bad completely read the amount of games he was playing wrong. One of the articles I read made it seem his contract was only for a Maximum of 12 games. Bad Journalism combined with my inability to read it properly didn't help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Of course the NFL isn't played on paper but look at the Jets. They got to the AFC Championship game with a rookie quarterback and 1 receiver who was there for half the year. They relied on their running game and Sanchez to make the occasional play. With Sanchez one year older and two good wideouts (one of course suspended for 4 games) they should be better passing wise. LT is there to get in the end zone from the inside 10 yards.

Their defence was top 5 without Jenkins who's back this year. With the draft they can improve further. In terms of question marks around them I think they have the fewest.

That is of course not to say the Pats and Dolphins won't win the division but they have more questions surrounding them. The Dolpins have poor receivers and questions on defence. The Pats have RB issues, questions on depth in WR (and thats presuming Welker is fit) and some questions on defence. I'm not counting out a team with Brady/BB and high draft choices though.

As a Bills fan, the Jets are who I fear most currently. I can see us getting an awful hiding from them, worse than the many others coming our way this year.

• Advertisement

Of course the NFL isn't played on paper but look at the Jets. They got to the AFC Championship game with a rookie quarterback and 1 receiver who was there for half the year. They relied on their running game and Sanchez to make the occasional play. With Sanchez one year older and two good wideouts (one of course suspended for 4 games) they should be better passing wise. LT is there to get in the end zone from the inside 10 yards.

Their defence was top 5 without Jenkins who's back this year. With the draft they can improve further. In terms of question marks around them I think they have the fewest.

That is of course not to say the Pats and Dolphins won't win the division but they have more questions surrounding them. The Dolpins have poor receivers and questions on defence. The Pats have RB issues, questions on depth in WR (and thats presuming Welker is fit) and some questions on defence. I'm not counting out a team with Brady/BB and high draft choices though.

As a Bills fan, the Jets are who I fear most currently. I can see us getting an awful hiding from them, worse than the many others coming our way this year.

It's been a fantastic off season for Ryan and the Jets, getting in the players they have for such low draft choices makes the team stronger. With taking Holmes they remove one key area of need in the draft while keeping 1st and 2nd rounders with which they can look to get in some pass rushers which is the only thing their defence needs to be set for years. It's looking more and more likely that they will sign Jason Taylor as well this week so he could groom in a draft choice to be a pass rusher.

All in all the Jets have made great strides to solve their offence problems and strengthen their defence. The only decision I question is LT, he is not needed by the Jets and will achieve very little for them, I think they would have been better off keeping Thomas Jones or bringing in a Willie Parker/Brian Westbrook who can potentially give the team a lot more than LT.

The Jets won't take anyone by surprise this year but they will be much more balanced on offence and will harass the QB better which is only good for what could be an ever better secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

They have him for 12 games, he's a FA next season. Apparently he tweets about snmoking weed he may not make it through a season, 1 more strike is a years ban

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Holmes is a pretty good pickup if he's avoids disciplinary problems. I think that NY will rely a lot more on the pass this season having lost Thomas Jones. Shonn Greene is unproven over the course of a season, Leon Washington is coming off an injury and LT is washed-up in my opinion. If you're going be relying on Sanchez, you'd want to give him some decent threats and they've done that. Their defence is still going to have to get them out of a good few holes next season, they picked up Cromartie which is an upgrade but losing Rhodes is an issue.

I fancy the Pats for AFC East. They hammered the Jets 31 – 14 at the end of last season with a similar team to what they've got now. I'd expect them to make major moves in the draft to big up their defence. If Welker's fit, it'll be a big boost. I'd expect Moss and Edelman to pick up a lot of the slack though and do well enough. An extra receiver would be good with Moss on the way out, I'd say they could make a big move on draft day or before to get one.

OT but dont the Pats have 3 second round picks? I could see them going WR with one of those. Or trading. However the draft is more likely where Belichick will be looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Hard not to be very ahppy with the off season so far and us trying to woo Jason Taylor too.Plenty of receiver options for Sanchez now and Jenkins and Washington back from injury.

Advertisement