Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does iPhone Developer fee still apply for own use?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question..

I know to deploy your app to iTunes, you need to pay the one-off $99 developer fee to Apple.

But if the app is for your own use, do you still need to pay it?

I'm guessing you probably do.. I think I read somewhere that you can only run the app on the emulator in the SDK until you pay the $99 but could someone just clarify.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

This is true unless you "jailbreak" the device and you will be opening a whole can of worms until you reinstall the OS

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers Freddio.

Will consider the releasing on Cydia but along with that, I've a few idea for cheap apps so might just fork out the $99 developer fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Yeager101

I would and have Jailbroken my phone in the past and while its been great, I pays to be aware that O2 or Apple wont stand over any repairs or replacements on the phone if its jailbroken when you send it back.
    But saying that, its up to you. Cydia is pretty cool though.

You can run the app on your phone as a test profile without publishing to the app store, but I think you still need to get a developer cert to code into the app in order to make it work. You might be able to leave this out and just setup the test app on your handset.
    You will need the developer kit however to do the build and the provisioning tool kit to install it on the handset.

Advertisement