Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting boot priority in Windows 2000 pro

Options
  • 11-04-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I have an old machine with win 2k pro on it that I want to format and install xp on but I can't seem to figure out how to change the boot sequence so it runs from the cd. When you hit F8 it just goes in an advanced boot options screen. This only seems to offer you different ways to boot in safe mode and such rather than changing the boot sequence. Had a quick google there and didn't find anything on this either. Anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

try f2 on startup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

or it could be delete or f1

if you press pause|break it will pause the screen so you can read,
    press return or enter to continue and pause|break again to pause.
    Handy to read those screens that fly by too quickly.

oh, and you have gone too far in the boot up process when the f8 key you mentioned earlier works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

So I managed to get into the bios, using del, but when i go to the boot configuration screen in the BIOS and set the CD-ROM to be the first bootable. It gives me an error when i reboot saying invalid start up diskette. Please insert a diskette in A. I've never formatted a windows 2000 PC before. In win xp you just put in the cd hit f8, selected cdrom, and it started up the windows setup process. Anyone know how this works in Windows 2000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Make sure that the cd you are using is bootable. Getting the PC to boot from CD is pre-OS. It would not matter if this PC had 2000, or XP or linux, the procedure for booting a CD would be eactly the same because it comes before any operating system. The diskette in disk A is refering to a bootable floppy disk. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

HI thanks for the reply. Ya i'm pretty sure its a bootable CD. its one of those ones thats comes with dell computer that has the operating system on it. I've used it before to with formatting and reinstall and XP machine. I understand what I was being asked for when it came up saying diskette in drive A. What i didn't understand is why it was asking for something in drive a as I had had set the cd-rom to boot from first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I presume the floppy drive is the 2nd or 3rd item in the list. Have you tried disabling this from the boot sequence altogether? Is the CD clean? Can you boot from it on another PC? Is there any CDROM activity when you turn on the PC?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

suppafly wrote: »
    HI thanks for the reply. Ya i'm pretty sure its a bootable CD. its one of those ones thats comes with dell computer that has the operating system on it. I've used it before to with formatting and reinstall and XP machine. I understand what I was being asked for when it came up saying diskette in drive A. What i didn't understand is why it was asking for something in drive a as I had had set the cd-rom to boot from first.
    That is an OEM CD and is only to be used on PC's that came with a copy of XP preinstalled.

You can't use it on the windows 2000 machine unless the 2000 machine has an XP COA license sticker OR you have an unused transferable XP license to assign to it.

Advertisement