Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating books to libraries - any info?

Options
  • 11-04-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

[Apologies if this is a bit off-topic but I have been looking up and down the list of boards.ie forums (fora?) and can't see anything more appropriate]

Does anyone know anything about the procedure of donating books to libraries? For example, are they vetted nationally, in each local authority area or even in each individual library? Who should a book be sent to (i.e. their job title)?

[Background: I'm a volunteer in a patient organisation and we saw in the UK that groups circulated a new book on the lives of people with the illness. It's not a medical book as such (i.e. it doesn't give medical advice) - just people telling their stories with quite a lot of photos. It has a ISBN. We are sending envelopes with posters and leaflets to each local authority library to circulate within their system (they have an internal mail facility which makes it cheaper and also less work as each envelope doesn't have to be addressed, etc). We were hoping to send a copy to copy of this book to each local authority].

Any experiences ("good"/"bad") useful e.g. they didn't want books you offered them. I also have fiction books I could get rid of so also generally interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Thanks for this. Hadn't considered school libraries and also didn't know that some are stocked by county libraries (I happened to go to a private school since the age of 8 so things can sometimes be a bit different there) so that is interesting to know. Long time since I was in school - do they have books on health issues in libraries?

Anyone ever donate books to school libraries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Your best bet would be to contact the libraries department of whichever authority you wish to donate to. Purchasing for public libraries is centralised rather than carried out in each individual branch.

Fiction donations can be a tricky one as often the public libraries are very well stocked and space can be an issue. Again, speaking to the acquisitions librarian would be the best way to go.

Advertisement