Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

international 956 2wd.any good?

Options
  • 11-04-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

hi guys im just in the process of buying an international 956 2wd. with a 6 cyl. engine are thy any good or will the main dealer be the only one smiling when we meet thanks for the advice on the wrapper etc. in previous post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Don't know too much about them really to be honest, but they have a great engine and from the few times I have worked them, they are great tractor to pull. Have seen two with gearbox trouble though.... well selector trouble really,.... whether that be a lack of mechanical sympathy on the drivers part or a poor design I don't know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 baler

i have driven the one i am buying and gears appear fine handbrake not working i think it may be a bit of a job to sort it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

baler wrote: »
    i have driven the one i am buying and gears appear fine handbrake not working i think it may be a bit of a job to sort it

dont know about the 956 but the handbrake in some of those was a real pain , it is like a spring cir-clip which tightens on a shaft when u pull the lever, if the spring breaks the repair is not for the faint hearted

if the tractor was ever driven with the handbrake on you could get iron filings in the hydraulic system.. in short .. NOT GOOD

Also there was often a hydraulic pump fitted when all was needed was gaskets

the ih were brilliant (we have 1 with 18 k hours spreading slurry flat out for 3 days this week) but if they become troublesome unless you know what you doing you can waste a lot of money

is the filings in the hydraulic's a rare or common fault are international parts expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

baler wrote: »
    is the filings in the hydraulic's a rare or common fault are international parts expensive

rare enough, but as I said if the tractor was driven with the brake it can happen,

parts can be expensive, for ex. I paid €116 for a stopper cable from atkins in Cork. luckily we had few problems, handbrake issue also but so far we haven't bothered trying to fix it

they are a good tractor, well balanced and pound for pound would match the best of them.

• Advertisement

great to get a bit of advice from a man who knows them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭kincaid

Hi

What age is the tractor?
    Is this the xl cab?…
    I heard of the international case giving lots of trouble with the gearboxes but didn’t think the older type international give gearbox trouble but may be wrong…

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

The older IH models were probably the best. Still have my 85 reg one and it still runs my agitator and 10 foot JD mower. One problem I would have with the 2wd version is that the front wheel bearings just aren't up to standard. Had to get mine machined to take a bigger bearing because I just got sick of replacing them. Overall they are very good enginewise, the problems with the gear selectors I haven't come across although mine used to get stuck in gear untill I replaced the ball and socket joints going from the gear sticks and haven't had any problems since. Look out for leaky sunroof in the cab, this is mainly a problem with the white coloured roof and was corrected on the later red coloured roof. Parts can be expensive enough, but to be honest most parts are if you get main dealer spares as opposed to the crap you get in motor factor type places.

Advertisement