Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used PS2's in HMV

Options
  • 10-04-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was in touch with HMV in the sq Tallaght today and they advised me that they have approx 18 used PS2's their happy to sell on. However they also advised me that some of them could be b###oxed as their not really tested and taken in as trade ins over the past yr or so.

Anyone give me any advice on buying a used PS2 as I am going to go up to them 2moro and have a look. I prefer the original fat version then the slim one. Would they test it there and then for me before selling it on to me? I already got lumbered with a knackered PS2 last week and don't want a repeat of that.

Fat or slim? which one should I be looking at?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

How much is a slim and a phat console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Get a slim, and if its not working bring it back, they have to sell you a working console

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

Augmerson wrote: »
    How much is a slim and a phat console?

He says between 30 - 40 euro including cables however they may not have their original box's...

Sounds like great value if your given a good working one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If you can get a Slim for 30-40 that's good. They are about 50 in Game, probably the same in Gamestop. If you get a Phat try see if you can haggle for 20-30. I think they are 40 in Game, not sure the price in GS.

Augmerson wrote: »
    If you can get a Slim for 30-40 that's good. They are about 50 in Game, probably the same in Gamestop. If you get a Phat try see if you can haggle for 20-30. I think they are 40 in Game, not sure the price in GS.

did not know gamestop had them aswell. I will ring a few around 2moro and go for spin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,929 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Make sure it's a slim. The phat models have terrible problems with their laser, it was almost as bad as the 360's RROD, and are prone to failing especially an old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

No matter how much they charge or if it's a used item it still has to work. If it doesn't you are entitled to an exchange or refund. Either way it's a win win situation.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Make sure it's a slim. The phat models have terrible problems with their laser, it was almost as bad as the 360's RROD, and are prone to failing especially an old one.

I'll ask them for a slim one and see what they hand me. I'm not paying more then 40 euro for one though... Thanks

Got one today in gamestop for 30, seems to be working alright... Got a 3 month guarantee of them aswell. Oh and it's the phat version, they wanted 50 for the slim one which I was not prepared to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Cheers for the heads up mondeo,I picked up a phat this morning in gamestop.It's in pristine condition too. So,the console,joypad,cables and guarantee for €30, you couldn't go wrong ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

I think I'll give the one in Cork a ring and see if they have any, probably not but it's worth trying at least.

I rang Game recently and they were charging 60 for a used slimline. :(

Cheers for the heads up mondeo,I picked up a phat this morning in gamestop.It's in pristine condition too. So,the console,joypad,cables and guarantee for €30, you couldn't go wrong ;)

Ye it is cracking value, been on mine playing GTA Vice city all evening:D

Chart busters is a great place for used games, got Tomb Raider legend, GTA vice city for 4.99 each. Gamestop charge more for games though.. Going to run into a few chart busters 2moro and see what other good games I can find.

Advertisement