Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masturbation and sperm count

Options
  • 10-04-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

I will probably be trying for a baby with my partner in the next few years so out of curiosity i searched on-line about sperm count and and came across - http://ezinearticles.com/?10-Ways-You-Can-Increase-Your-Sperm-Count&id=79931

What struck me and frankly worries me is this
    Very frequent semen ejaculation also lead to lowered sperm count and man may become effectively infertile. Hence maintaining a gap of 3 days between two consecutive ejaculations keeps a man more fertile.

So they are in effect saying that masturbation will make you infertile!!
    Honestly, this is concerning!!

OK, I can keep it down to three day intervals, but is it possible that its too late?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

not permanently infertile OP, just a temp thing. Infertile is probably a bit of overkill tbh. Obviously, it will take a while for your body to make new sperm to populate the ejaculate with, so moral of the story is that if your trying for a baby, better to lay off the solo action.

In fairness, if you were trying for a baby, I'd guess there would be a fair bit of sex involved, ergo, the need for a bit of self relief would be lessened.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If masturbation made you infertile I would have been infertile at 12 :D

its basic biology, you ejaculate more ,say twice a day, it takes longer to build up your sperm count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I dunno, impression I get is the more ya do it the more of it there is. Though that may well be other components that aren't sperm.
    Could've sworn I read before that doing it regularly helped maintain a higher count in the long term though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Supercell wrote: »
    I will probably be trying for a baby with my partner in the next few years so out of curiosity i searched on-line about sperm count and and came across - http://ezinearticles.com/?10-Ways-You-Can-Increase-Your-Sperm-Count&id=79931

What struck me and frankly worries me is this

OK, I can keep it down to three day intervals, but is it possible that its too late?

i can teel you only from my own experience this is bulschit if i'm anything to go buy
    i'd knock out at the least 1 a day but have three kids,i know that in itself is not unusual but my point is i'm very carefull with contraception and out of the four or fives times i messed up:D 3 pregnancy's resulted

maybe that film was actually made about me, "The most fertile man in Ireland."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

2 weeks ago I brought my semen for analysis in the local Hospital.

I've been with my GF for 7 years and for 6 of them we weren't "not trying" if ya get me...as in no contraception. Still no baby. I was convinced that it was down to me...I was blaming laptops and all kinds of things.

Anyway, got my results on friday...there are 7 tests the doc said and my results were perfect in all but one of them. Mobility and count were spot on (115 million was my count) the one that wasn't perfect was something that's supposed to be 15% and was 11%. I'm not sure what that test was...im collecting the print out of the results tomorrow.

To answer your original question OP...You're supposed to abstain for 2-3 days before giving your sample but it says to not abstain for longer than 7 days.

It stands to reason that if you're knocking one off every day, twice a day or whatever...you're never going to have enough to impregnate anything.

THere are many factors that influence pregnancy...a lot of people happen upon them by accident, others need to help it along i.e get the timing right, and if you're a man, abstain for a couple of days before that big day.

No matter how many times you do it...if you wait a couple of days, you'll replenish fully 100% of the time.

And while we're on the subject...something else that I found interesting...when stuff comes back out of her, fear not...the important stuff shot up first...That's how it was put to me anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Is it possible that not doing it enough can effect sterility.

My uncle once proudly told me that he had never masturbated in his life.

He is infertile.

Could not masturbating effect sperm count.

Sorry if this sounds silly but I have always wondered this.

Btw. I have 4 kids and *^%$ regularly:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

suey71 wrote: »

He is infertile.

He is also a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

No.

You dont know this guy, a total loon, and if ever anyone didn't masturbate its him.

If anyone else said that they didn't masturbate I'd call them a liar too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

suey71 wrote: »

He is infertile.

how did you end up talking about masturbating with your uncle.

talk about strange inappropriate conversations

Anyway I reckon lay off the palm shuffle and get making babies, it makes sense that it'll lessen your chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Masterbation is a sin isnt it?
    Is there a difference in spearm loss between ejaculating through masterbation and through sex.
    Anyway if you look at the amount of times a pedegree bull or a stallion in stud get pulled off and they produce every time.
    http://www.haltcliffe-limousin.co.uk/haltcliffe_bulls.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

The idea of what sperm actually is kinda freaks me out. Maybe I shouldn't be flushing so much of it down the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

SugarHigh wrote: »
    The idea of what sperm actually is kinda freaks me out. Maybe I shouldn't be flushing so much of it down the jacks.

Yeah there is a thing in the bible about Onan who 'let his seed fall on the ground' i.e he pulled out so he wouldn't get this one pregnant.

he was punished by God.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

sheesh wrote: »
    Yeah there is a thing in the bible about Onan who 'let his seed fall on the ground' i.e he pulled out so he wouldn't get this one pregnant.

he was punished by God.
    God must be busy so these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

he was punished by God.

Considering God was asking Onan to spill his seed into his dead brother's wife, I wouldn't worry about punishment!

OP - don't worry about it - that will only stress your mind and body. Like the other posters have mentioned, I imagine the article should have said temporary infertility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

he was punished by God.

and this is where we get
    Word Origin & History

onanism
    "masturbation," 1727, from Onan, son of Judah (Gen. xxxviii.9), who spilled his seed on the ground rather than impregnate his dead brother's wife: "And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother." The moral of this verse was redirected by those who sought to suppress masturbation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

And Dr G - are there any health benefits to masturbation. Like I read somewhere once that regular sex means a lessor incidence of prostrate problems or is this just wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Supercell wrote: »

no, it will make you blind:cool:

tut tut...did you not read the vatican's doctrine on wankin

i have an earache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you'll get hairy palms as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

heavyballs wrote: »
    i can teel you only from my own experience this is bulschit if i'm anything to go buy
    i'd knock out at the least 1 a day but have three kids,i know that in itself is not unusual but my point is i'm very carefull with contraception and out of the four or fives times i messed up:D 3 pregnancy's resulted

maybe that film was actually made about me, "The most fertile man in Ireland."

Apt username :D

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »
    you'll get hairy palms as well
    :D LOL

Welcome Sam - would you recommend veet or wax for that:p

Advertisement