Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doug Stanhope anyone?

Options
  • 10-04-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Doug Stanhope is going to be in London at the start of September and before he heads back across the Atlantic I think we should get him over for a few nights in Ireland.

I sent an email to his lot today and will no doubt be waiting a little while for a response but that is no reason not to get a bit of promotion going. There is a Facebook group set up so look for it and Twitter is next up.

So fans of Doug should get behind the effort, and spread the word. Come on over Doug. We could do with some of your thoughts. :)

If you are not familiar with his stuff but have liked George Carlin and Bill Hicks then give him a browse on youtube

Here is a sample from his set Deadbeat Hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkR19rz5E48

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just turn off those mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

He was here not so long ago, wasn't he? Surely not a new show since?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Yeah, he played the Button Factory in... October? November?

His shows usually do well here, I couldn't imagine it'll take much to get him over...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I keep missin his shows for one reason or another, its so damn annoying, i realy wanna see him at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Have seen him the last couple of times he was here. He played a couple of nights in the Button Factory the last time and a show in Galway as well, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeah he played here in October. I wouldn't expect him to visit again until he has a new show.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Doug Stanhope

If you are not familiar with his stuff but have liked George Carlin and Bill Hicks then give him a browse on youtube
    Its insulting to compare him with those 2.

Typical shock jock comedian
    Some of his stuff is good but most isn't

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Typical shock jock comedian
    Some of his stuff is good but most isn't

Dare I say it...I much prefer Stanhope to Hicks,Hicks was somewhat repetitive and didn't have a huge wealth of material

I'll also throw Richard Pryor into the equation..who in my opinion only had one truly great special,a lot of his other material was extremely hit and miss,and at times a bit too preachy..

Stanhope has a unique perspective and is pretty consistent,wouldn't ever call him a "typical shock jock comedian"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Saw him in Dublin last October....still haven't recovered....a night out to Stanhope is also a night out with Stanhope....give it another year.

• Advertisement

I'll also throw Richard Pryor into the equation..who in my opinion only had one truly great special,a lot of his other material was extremely hit and miss,and at times a bit too preachy..

If this were the 1970's, you would have heard the needle being violently ripped off the record. If this were the 1870's, my monocle would have just popped off my face and into my tea. If this were the 1770's, the piano player would have stopped playing and the bartender would have hit the floor.

This being 2010, I suppose the appropriate reaction is this: :eek:

Living in the future sucks sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭celtic Liger

his abortion piece is priceless.

his abortion piece is priceless.

Nah, he said it cost him ninety bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He's hilarious. Great way with words, even though he's often a bit drunk he manages to stumble through sentences very articulately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

He's no dumbass shock jock (as epitomised by Andrew Dice Clay, the least funniest human being EVER!), that's for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

Stanhope rocks! Get him over here, I missed him in October but saw him the year before that and his opening explanation of why Irish women are too ugly to rape was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.Shabby

I really rate him. It is silly to dismiss him as a shock jock. Initially he might sound like a drunken idiot but when you listen to his stuff he is really hits the mark with some of his observations.And of course there's also his titty **** jokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

One of my favourite comedians but there's not a chance he'll come over here after his shows in London.

Advertisement