Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Laptop to LCD TV

Options
  • 10-04-2010 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I've a sony vaio VGN r38n and have bought a VGA to phono cable to connect my tv to the laptop. It is not recognising the TV as an external output.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It should be just a matter of sending the singal out from the laptop. There's usually a function button with something like two monitors on it or text that says LCD/TV or something. That should cycle through the output options. The laptop itself is unlikely to detect the TV as a source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lalaland22

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried cycling thorugh them (its FN + F7 on mine) but there is only one output and thats the regular screen. For some reason the TV is not showing as an option.

Is there anything i need to do to install it or something?

(apologies if thats a stupid question) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hmmm . . . not sure why there's only one option. Even if there is no cable connected to the VGA output it should still show you all the options. It won't have a specific TV option, rather just an option to send the display signal through the VGA port. You could try updating the drivers for your graphics card or reboot the laptop. Sometimes they don't like it when you plug in a VGA cable when they're powered on.

EDIT: Have a look here as well. Others seem to have the same issue. The last poster has some things to try to solve the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lalaland22

Brilliant. Thanks a million. Will try updating the drivers when i get home. Will let ya know how i get on.

Thanks again

Advertisement