Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Inverter & Lawnmower

Options
  • 10-04-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Word has it the Fingal CC will not be cutting grass this year. Across from my house we have a big green area. I want to cut a large section so the children can have a spot to play in during the summer. I only have an electric mower and my very long extension lead still wont reach.
    I bought an inverter a while back and was planning to park my car on the green and use the inverter to power the lawnmower.
    My question is will this damage the car engine or would the inverter and car combined be able to handle the job. I don't have any specs on the inverter, its a bog standard lidl job.
    Thanks,
    Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Given that it's Lidl inverter, I think I can confidently state that there's no way on God's little green earth that it'll run an electric lawnmower.
    Have a look at the output printed on the inverter and then look at the power consumption printed on the mower, they'll be vastly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

not a hope,just rent a petrol mower for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Just by way of a bit of clarification on my post above, I'm sure the Lidl inverter is perfectly good and functional in and of itself, it's just that given its source, I'd very much doubt if it's a particularly powerful or sophisticated one.

All that SHOULD happen if you tried it SHOULD be that the inverter would simply trip itself off, but it getting burned out isn't that remote a possibility either.

As suggested above, rent a petrol mower for the job.

[KILLJOY]
    Unfortunately, it might also be an idea to consider any possible insurance or public liability or H&S issues you may fall foul of by taking on the personal/private maintenance of a public facility.

Sorry for bringing it up, but you never know... :(
    [/KILLJOY]

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

3.5 hp Briggs & Stratton petrol mowers(sold under various manufacturer names) are available for sub 150 euros, far better than any Flymo and would work out cheaper in the long run than renting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

plenty of landscape gardeners scrambling for work ...get a few neighbours to chip in and get a man with a proper mower to do the job on a regular basis.

Mowing a sizeable lawn with a tiny petrol mower is slave labour :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement