Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet problem

Options
  • 10-04-2010 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Obv using a different pc to post this...Trying to connect to the net here, not usually in this house but I've never had problems connecting before and it usually automatically connects me (remembers passwords etc). So this pc connects fine but my one is having problems. It identifies the wireless network but that's about it. What do I do here? I'm presuming it's embarrassingly obvious. I go to the 'Connect to a network' part and then it goes to diagnose problem etc...

The Network and Sharing Center has the following:

This Computer
    Unidentified Netowrk
    X
    Internet

Access: Local only
    Connection: Local Area Connection

Using Vista btw. But I've always used this and it seems to be only acting up now for some reason

Bottom right shows 'Currently connected to unidentified network'. Haven't entered any passwords...haven't been prompted for any.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

It sounds like your computer is connecting to some 'open' network (Wif-Fi?) that maybe you don't have the rights for. That sometimes happens to me here with BT Open Zone. I usually just have to restart the computer to get it right though.

What you could check is your Wireless Network Connection Properties dialogue box. In it, go to the Wireless Networks tab and check to see what your 'preferred networks' are. It could be that this 'rogue' network you're connecting to is for some reason set to be your preferred network, instead of the normal one. I'm using XP though.

Hope this helps,
    Kevin

Advertisement