Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40mm Grenade Effectiveness

Options
  • 10-04-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a 40mm launcher at some point in the future and I'm wondering how effective they are in-game?

Do people generally take hits from them? Since power doesn't appear to be great, I get the impression that they just rain down on the target... do players generally take these hits? I'm thinking there might be a tendency amongst players to assume they were hit by a ricochet or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

They're in general ****e. Effective range in Ireland temperatures with green gas is about 20m or less.

I'm currently looking at testing out co2 ones, which I've heard are better. The filling adaptor for co2 canisters is the big thing, only person who has them in stock is MIA, and I'd rather eat me own face than buy a bag of crisps off that loser.

In general people do take hits, because you're about 20m away and there's a *BANG* when it goes off. So most of the time you actually see the person shooting you, and you get hit with a shower of BBs.

They're mainly good for the shock and awe thing with n00bs, if you say you have an M79 and go round with one on your back, n00bs will steer clear of you, but anyone who knows the score knows there's a sparrow's fart waiting to be unleashed when you pull that trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

gerrowadat wrote: »
    ... but anyone who knows the score knows there's a sparrow's fart waiting to be unleashed when you pull that trigger.

Lol :-)

That's what I was thinking alright... must look into the CO2 ones. Surely the adapters can be found on the intarweb?

di11on wrote: »
    Lol :-)

That's what I was thinking alright... must look into the CO2 ones. Surely the adapters can be found on the intarweb?

You can get them direct from s-thunder here : http://www.s-thunder.com/en/product/?pid=4

I hear ASG and therefore airsofteire are getting them too, not sure on pricing.

This is yet another one of those items a lot of people will be looking for at once and it'd do a retailer to get them in :-)

Speak of the devil, AirsoftEire have them just in : http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=599&category_id=49&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Just ordered one, let's see how it works out in some madbull metal nades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

di11on wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm considering getting a 40mm launcher at some point in the future and I'm wondering how effective they are in-game?

Do people generally take hits from them? Since power doesn't appear to be great, I get the impression that they just rain down on the target... do players generally take these hits? I'm thinking there might be a tendency amongst players to assume they were hit by a ricochet or something?

I agree with Gerrowadat - not sure that they're up to much more than show (not that there's a thing wrong with that - after all with a 1J limit a lot of what people get as kit is for show rather than effectiveness).

To me these things are like even less accurate shotguns. I've never seen nor used a CO2 one, but the green gas nades I've messed around with make a fantastic noise ... and that's about it. Personally I just fecking love the sound it makes when you lock one into a launcher - that and the look of the m203 when slung beneath the barrel of the m16 just looks cool (especially with the proper heatshield and aim sight attached). For an example of how completely epic these look I think Moggser posted pics of his baby on the equipment thread a while back...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 oglon343

Have a few myself, just for show realy but work well with looking good and in cqb:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

i have 2 of the CO2 ones and there is better performance out of them than the green gas ones but as dave said, its mostly for the shock and awe of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Things that go "BOOOF!!" make Lefty happy, thats it.

Agreed Ger - but it's grin factor rather than actual effect. Personally I get a grin out of just racking the things in the launcher. Everything after that is just a let down...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Out of interest, when you say 20m range, is that firing on a flat or an elevated trajectory? Do you ever fire "indirect"? I would think it's very satisfying if you manage some hits when firing that way or is the power output just too variable such that it would be nigh impossible to estimate where the bbs would land?

• Advertisement

Bemused wrote: »
    Out of interest, when you say 20m range, is that firing on a flat or an elevated trajectory? Do you ever fire "indirect"? I would think it's very satisfying if you manage some hits when firing that way or is the power output just too variable such that it would be nigh impossible to estimate where the bbs would land?

I'm told if you vary the weights of the BBs you use, you can get a good spread, I usually see people using ****e BBs like the yellow toy shop ones, or the raptor ones that'd jam any proper gun, the nades are a lot less fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

my housemate has a nade launcher, he uses a mix of .12, .2, .24 & .28 BBs in them [from a bag marked "nade mix"] he tends to use them for room clearance and with the mixture of different weights gets a really good scatter across a room

Meh, using a 203 for room clearance, overkill imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

as he would say overkill is still dead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Regards room clearing Why use 50-200 rds when you can do the job with 2,,,,,,,,, or none

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

thermo wrote: »
    Regards room clearing Why use 50-200 rds when you can do the job with 2,,,,,,,,, or none
    I expect that's your classic "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" scenario.

Thunder B, fat naked man, Santa, all do the same when it comes to room clearance.

Fat naked man clears the room faster than anything else. All I need is a dignity bypass and I'll start using this method myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Speak of the devil, AirsoftEire have them just in : http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=599&category_id=49&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Just ordered one, let's see how it works out in some madbull metal nades.
    Just wondering how you got on with this (if you had a chance to test it already).

sliabh wrote: »
    Just wondering how you got on with this (if you had a chance to test it already).

The first one I got was a bit faulty, thankfully the lads at Airsofteire were gentlemen and scholars, and I've got a working one now.

The nades themselves will get their first outing at sennybridge I reckon, I haven't let off a nade in anger yet. The unit works grand though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Meh, using a 203 for room clearance, overkill imo.

This is airsoft, there's no such thing as overkill, only open fire ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've used my madbull ones on green gas alot over the years since I first got them.

They are great fun and can be pretty effective. I remember in Predator one trip getting handed 6 nades, so I launched 9 in a mortar style effect and got a few kills.

Generally the range on them is terrible so the best use of them is in a close quarters enviroment. They dont hurt at all, I'd say they fire at about 100 fps in our weather , and from getting a good 100rounder in the back before i can tell you its pretty difficult to overkill with them, unless your skin is made of tender love and snuggles.

Usually use mine when wanting to put a shell load of BB's through a wndow, or old hrta arcing it into kill houses with no roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭mafiaboy

only person who has them in stock is MIA, and I'd rather eat me own face than buy a bag of crisps off that loser.
    that was not a nice thing to say just thinking if this was said about any other dealers or shops would this be allowed been that Deark has been banned from this site and has no way to reply to slander said about him..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

I expect that's your classic "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" scenario.

you got it in one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

mafiaboy wrote: »
    that was not a nice thing to say just thinking if this was said about any other dealers or shops would this be allowed been that Deark has been banned from this site and has no way to reply to slander said about him..

thats not slander, thats him voicing an opinion, and it will probably be dealt with by mods, since we are only allowed say nice things about retailers and sites etc.

But having a pop at someone for having a purchasing preference or dislike, thats not nice either

you meanie!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭flashinbluelite

TheDoc wrote: »
    thats not slander, thats him voicing an opinion, and it will probably be dealt with by mods, since we are only allowed say nice things about retailers and sites etc.

But having a pop at someone for having a purchasing preference or dislike, thats not nice either

you meanie!

:p

well before this gets outta hand..... anyone tried the solid nades. you know the ones that shoot the big chunk of rubber (awaiting jokes) they any use...?

well before this gets outta hand..... anyone tried the solid nades. you know the ones that shoot the big chunk of rubber (awaiting jokes) they any use...?

How heavy are they and how fast do they go?

mafiaboy wrote: »

It's not slander, it's my personal opinion. I've had terrible customer service from MIA, quite aside from Derek's own rather special take on interacting with people.

Anyway, back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭flashinbluelite

Stonewolf wrote: »
    How heavy are they and how fast do they go?

light enough to go less than 328 fps / 100 ms ... :D

• Advertisement

light enough to go less than 328 fps / 100 ms ... :D

Well obviously, I could make my house go that fast if I put enough energy into it.

Advertisement