Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan Day in Farmleigh

Options
  • 10-04-2010 10:38am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Japan Day event is on in Farmleigh tomorrow. Looks like the weather will be great for it, so a good day to be had there.

The house itself is open to the public for tours again, its free and well worth a look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thanks for that was looking for something to do tomorrow and not too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thanks for that sound like a wonderful way to spend the afternoon tomorrow.
    And there will be sushi vendors there.
    The the URbus will be very handy to get to the park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Watch out for my daughter giving a talk on cosplay. She and a few others will be in their costumes for the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Thats tomorrows outing with the family sorted.

Thanks Gaspode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Go early I'd say it will be packed, last day of the easter hols for the kids etc. Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks OP!
    Gaspode wrote: »
    Watch out for my daughter giving a talk on cosplay.

What's cosplay?!

Its a Coldplay tribute act:D.

just back and really nice. More food stalls would be a good idea but i should have eaten before I went!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Nice because we were early. Getting a bit packed as we were leaving, ditto the traffic. More food would be good. They should put the farmers market on at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think they hadn't banked on so many people arriving today - Irish weather is too unpredictable!
    Certainly they could have cleaned up if they had more stalls there - I was surprised there wasn't a stall selling even basic japanese items like flags.

• Advertisement

Just back myself.
    I didnt get there until 3 due to working through the night, but I was a bit disappointed tbh. There wasnt a lot to do and apart from sitting around in the sun and admiring the beautiful gardens ???

Not enough tents for the different events.

The que for the icecream was about 200.
    Ditto the face painting.

This could have been so big, but I guess its down to Japanese minimalism.

The organisers could have cleaned up at that event.

Badly planned and badly promoted, sure if it wasn't for our dear friend Gaspode no one would have turned up.

Its amazing how many people lurk these threads.:D.

I'll definately go again next year though, I'll just try to get there a little earlier.

I think because it was their first attempt at this they didn't go too big. Which was a pity alright, as you say there wasn't a whole lot else to do only sit around, though we did manage to hit a quiet spot in the queue for the boathouse cafe and killed an hour there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Gaspode wrote: »
    Which was a pity alright, as you say there wasn't a whole lot else to do only sit around,

I must say, I did enjoy the sitting around today.

But if the weather had not been as glorious as it was the event would have been a bit of a damp sqib imo.

I do love Farmleigh though I must say. Did the tour last year. Will do it again soon. Love that it is free :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Great event except for having to queue for an hour & 20 minutes for some sushi and very poor pork & rice dish.

We were there from about 12:15 and left after 4pm.
    Kids had a good day, one of them got their face painted, there was origami done and the story telling went well as did getting a chance to take part in the drumming workshop.
    The ques were quiet long, I don't they expected such a large turn out.
    The weather was dazzling, I managed to get sunburn.

Yeah the weather was amazing, carazy weather, just Friday gone I took the kids into the mountains to look for snow and ended up having a snowball fight near the SallyGap.

Only a small pocket of snow, but good fun all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Sounds like a great idea! Any pics? Are there cherry blossoms at Farmleigh? Spent most of the last fortnight under them here!

There are some cherry trees but the blossoms were only starting to come out.

4513541269_4ec022ba36.jpg
    4513539933_af24e0353b.jpg

Taken with my phone same tree as in Thaedydal's 2nd pic !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

As someone who is not that keen on simply sitting around outside :o I have to admit that there just wasn't enough there for me.

Had I not had a reason to stick around I would have left after about an hour....:(

I couldn't really understand why that queue for the boathouse coffee room was so long and slow. We queued up for ages - then discovered that there were loads of tables free - I had thought that was what was causing the delay. Nor was there much of a range of food.

• Advertisement

suey71 wrote: »

Badly planned and badly promoted, sure if it wasn't for our dear friend Gaspode no one would have turned up.

Its amazing how many people lurk these threads.:D.

Hee, hee, hee, don't get me wrong now!

While I myself am mighty appreciative of Gaspode's thread about this event, I don't think you can say that ALL those crowds saw it on our little ol' D15 forum and decided to head out!

:)

Advertisement