Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judo help

Options
  • 09-04-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

im 19 going on 20 and i decided that i wanted to learn judo, im living in galway and was wondering where was the best place to do it, i was thinking the creaven house in claddagh but i dont know if they still do judo there nor can i find any information or a telephone number , so if anybody does juso can ya help me out , also how much would classes be thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey, sorry for the slow reply. But I'm taking a small break from boards and playing 'happy families' for awhile.

Judo Clubs in Galway - CLICK HERE.

We've one lad who posts here regularly enough, 'Pingu' - he's training in Galway and would know the scene much better than I would.

Welcome to Judo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Hey, sorry for the slow reply. But I'm taking a small break from boards and playing 'happy families' for awhile.

Judo Clubs in Galway - CLICK HERE.

We've one lad who posts here regularly enough, 'Pingu' - he's training in Galway and would know the scene much better than I would.

Welcome to Judo :D

thanks alot , i came across that site already , im too far away from oranmore and nuig and the galwayjudoclub thats just down the road i wont join cause of the horrible facility , but if the one in the creaven house not active anymore ive no shoice but to join the gjc instead , thanks alot anyways gonna have a look on the older sites if i find anything else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

thanks alot , i came across that site already , im too far away from oranmore and nuig and the galwayjudoclub thats just down the road i wont join cause of the horrible facility , but if the one in the creaven house not active anymore ive no shoice but to join the gjc instead , thanks alot anyways gonna have a look on the older sites if i find anything else :D

Just a word on GSJC, if you decide to train there you will have a fantastic coach in Chris Hickey and you wont be steered to far wrong. I train in NUIG nowadays but I remember from a session here and there he was a good coach.

nobbo wrote: »
    Just a word on GSJC, if you decide to train there you will have a fantastic coach in Chris Hickey and you wont be steered to far wrong. I train in NUIG nowadays but I remember from a session here and there he was a good coach.

thanks for the heads up , that be my 2nd choice , good to know the coach is good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

i'm waiting on pingu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

i'm waiting on pingu

Yeah Pingu will be able to give ya the details of the club that trains in Creavan, and if thats more accesible defo try there...

nobbo wrote: »
    Yeah Pingu will be able to give ya the details of the club that trains in Creavan, and if thats more accesible defo try there...

ya thanks alot , the creaven house feels a better place to train , the one n ballybrit is too small , used to do tae kwon do there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Galway university have great facilities for judo from what I saw, but you'd want to check if you can train as a non student, some colleges don't allow this.
    i'm waiting on pingu

Pingu has been missing since the intervarsities.

Boston wrote: »
    Galway university have great facilities for judo from what I saw, but you'd want to check if you can train as a non student, some colleges don't allow this.

were you mean to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

were you mean to him?

Yea B, 'fess up - what happened, was did he do something to embarrass himself?.

• Advertisement

I told him I was flattered, but he wasn't my type. He took the rejection pretty hard saying "But you're my little princess". Alas, I'm a heart breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

There is definately Judo classes in Creaven House, I was only talking to Johnny recently but I don't know the nights/times. Best thing to do is call in some evening and ask in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Actually I had a go at you for going out to the bathroom in your bare feet at the varsities and and then coming back in and stepping onto the mats, but this isn't the hygiene forum!

Been flat out in work. Don't be round here much.

Judo in Creaven is still going strong. Wednesdays at 20:00 and Sundays at 14:00

Pingu wrote: »
    Actually I had a go at you for going out to the bathroom in your bare feet at the varsities and and then coming back in and stepping onto the mats, but this isn't the hygiene forum!

I don't recall telling you to go **** yourself, so must not have happened. We never spoke.

I was running the table for your fights in the +100kgs category.

You clearly never had etiquette and respect for your opponents explained to you. Personal Hygiene would of been covered in this. Perhaps when the new beginners come into you club in Sept. your coach could go over this with you.

Been flat out in work. Don't be round here much.

Judo in Creaven is still going strong. Wednesdays at 20:00 and Sundays at 14:00

ha funny debate thanks man great help now i gotta prepare time to be flipped woo :L

ha funny debate thanks man great help now i gotta prepare time to be flipped woo :L

Ah yeah, you'll get it everywhere!

Back to stuff that's actually important! theres actually a beginners course just after finishing up, so there's a few relative beginners after slotting tinto the main class. So it should be good, there's always a good mix in the classes.

Sure hopefully we'll see you soon!

I was running the table for your fights in the +100kgs category.

You clearly never had etiquette and respect for your opponents explained to you. Personal Hygiene would of been covered in this. Perhaps when the new beginners come into you club in Sept. your coach could go over this with you.

I know what table you were running. You refered to it as the fat bastard catagory so don't talk to me about respect for other judoka. You were extremely pass remarkable about the women competing as well. If you can't keep a civil tounge in your head, shut the fuk up in future. Someone like you wouldn't last five minutes in my club with that chip on your shoulder. If you had a problem with some fictional behaviour of mine, there was plenty of opportunity to bring up it with me in person. But you didn't because you're ultimately a coward and liar who needs to have a go at people online to make himself feel good.

I know what table you were running. You refered to it as the fat bastard catagory so don't talk to me about respect for other judoka. You were extremely pass remarkable about the women competing as well. If you can't keep a civil tounge in your head, shut the fuk up in future. Someone like you wouldn't last five minutes in my club with that chip on your shoulder. If you had a problem with some fictional behaviour of mine, there was plenty of opportunity to bring up it with me in person. But you didn't because you're ultimately a coward and liar who needs to have a go at people online to make himself feel good.

Pop goes the fairy!

But in all seriousness, I was actually giving advice to a few of them, they fought very similar to me, if anything there was a bit of banter with the girls from my own club so accuse away, however it's all false.

Sounds like something I'd call it alright, I was also slagging the lads in -100kgs aswell the category i fight in.

Seriously, get over yourself lad.

• Advertisement

Pop goes the fairy!

I've been called worse by better.
    But in all seriousness, I was actually giving advice to a few of them, they fought very similar to me, if anything there was a bit of banter with the girls from my own club so accuse away, however it's all false.

Sounds like something I'd call it alright, I was also slagging the lads in -100kgs aswell the category i fight in.

Seriously, get over yourself lad.

You're offensive and disrespectful to others. Why it is people like you always call it "a bit of banter" when in fact they're just being insulting for no reason. You held your tounge more with the lads because you knew you'd earn yourself a slap otherwise.

Edit

In a rare act of good judgement Pingu has recognised he's out classed and has left the building. Don't worry richymcdermott, Pingu doesn't actually do judo, he only talks about it. The people in his club are far more decent then he is.

The lads would of hit me a slap, doubt it, it's slaggin and banter, you go to enough events you'll see more and more of it, Galway Open a few weeks ago was great craic. Maybe if you werent so automatically negative and attended events you'd see it.

If you want to judge how i talk to friends of mine and announce your snapshot judgement on a public forum you really do have problems.

I you want to have a go at me i'd say start a new thread and have a go there, you tried to do it via pm for a while but you gave up as you'd no audience to try and prove yourself in front of.

Left the building indeed, just tire of this really guy wants to know about judo and you decide to turn it into an attack on me. Quite sad really. Let it go.

Ah sure it's only a bit of banter and slaggin pingu, where's your sense of da craic. It's amazing that at two competition in a row now you stood out as a loud mouth. Ask yourself how I knew who you were despite having never seen a photo of you. I looked out for the loudest most obnoxious and annoying self-professed expert, and what do you know it was you. You're honestly an embarrassment to your club, the vast majority of whom are dead sound.
    If you want to judge how i talk to friends of mine and announce your snapshot judgement on a public forum you really do have problems.

I'm no friend of yours, though you decided to class my category as the fat bastards category. Did you notice that no one else but you found that funny. Wow, he's pointing out that the lads over 100Kg are fat and bastards, how witty. If you limited your crass and offensive comments to people you knew, we'ed have no problem. Shouting abuse from the judge's table regardless of your relationship with the receiver, is disgraceful and trust me a lot picked up on it. If you ever do it in one of my matches again there'll be two complaints, one to the club and one to the IJA.

. I looked out for the loudest most obnoxious and annoying self-professed expert,

Lucky I wasn't there or you'd have been really confused.

Lucky I wasn't there or you'd have been really confused.

Ah, the difference is you put your money where your mouth is and step on the mat so I've some faith in the stuff you say about MA. I was genuinely impressed by your performance at the Submission wrestling IVs. Made me doubt that I could take you, but only for a moment ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Haha only for this is hilarious there'd be red cards flying every where.

Why can't we all just get along??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement