Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all over colour versus highlights

Options
  • 09-04-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

so i've been getting my hair (originally darkish brown) highlighted every three or four months for about two and a half years now and the time has once again come that my roots have gotten past acceptable and i need to make that appointment.
    however i'm a student and my part time job doesnt cover much so the thoughts of forking out €95 for highlights again isn't seeming too possible right now.

I can't really go around with my roots as bad as they are right now, plus my college ball is next week and i'd like my hair to look half decent for it!

so i'm considering putting an all over colour in to save money, plus it would mean only getting my roots touched up and that'dsave my hair drying out even more. My hair is pretty much a dark blonde shade by now and while i love my highlights, i just can't afford them.

Has anyone dyed over highights with just a bottle blonde? would i be better off getting it done in a hairdressers? my only other option would be to go back to brunette but i'd rather be blonde for the summer.

anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

If you do decide to keep highlights or go back to them later on a low-buget I couldn't be more happier with my mobile hairdresser I used before xmas, root touch up with 2 colours, wash, cut, blow dry 50 euro. She did such a great job & got right to the scalp where everywhere else I went never did so always had a darker hair line down my head or around my face! Plus I love the comfort of being in my own home & being able to pot about while the colours are in.

Key is to keep looking & asking people. I was paying mad money in salons & never fully happy, with my new hairdresser... well I'd cry if she quit! Just keep hunting & you'll find one in the trade for years but due to marriage & kids or what not may only be working part time during the days & doing nixers odd evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

If you've been getting highlights regularly, chances are your hair is pretty much blonde all over as it is. I can't see much of a difference between using a blonde colour or blonde highlights when you hair already is blonde and you just want to touch up the roots. It's not really worth forking out 100 squids for IMO so I'd go with the colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

If you have dark roots then a bottle of blonde dye won't make them blonde, you will need bleach too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

Hey,

I got highlights in my hair for bout 4 years and came to the same dilemma your in. Was in college, broke all the time and it just wasn't working out the amount I payed for it. Got an all over colour and never looked back 60euro for it compared to the 100 and something I payed for highlights (crazy bloody money!!) My hair dresser puts a few highlights thru the t bar every 4 weeks to brighten it up a little.

So I'd say go for it!! But I would defo get it done with a hairdresser, I think when your blonde you cant really mess about with it as much as brunettes can! My friends can all dye their hair with bottle dyes and its in fine condition but when I was in my teens I used the blonde bottle dyes from the chemist and my hair was in serious bad condition so I wouldn't recommend it! But my hair is in great condition now even with the all over colour I get these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

If you have dark roots then a bottle of blonde dye won't make them blonde, you will need bleach too

Does blonde dye not involve bleach no?! :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement