Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Christian to Agnostic

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Being born into a Jehovah's Witness family and having the Watctower doctrine drilled into me all my childhood, teen years and into my twenties I always felt I understood Gods plan. After a few revelations I came to realise JWs are just as lost as any other religion they just cover it up with "new light" and use cult tactics to induce fear to prevent you from logically questioning it. Now I am out I can see hundreds/thousands of religions and different ideas about God and how to serve him.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no right or wrong form of Chrisitianity. Anyone can pick up a bible and be sincere and come up with what he/she believes its trying to say but then another person can believe the exact opposite.

For a God who apparently designed the universe, intricate, impossible to understand in many ways, why would he expect humans to have faith in a book thousands of years old. To have faith in Christ when its over 2000 years since he walked the earth. Faith is wonderful but I really am lead to ask the question.

Would any of Jesus disciples of followed him if they didn't first hand see the miracles? Raise the dead, make wine, walk on water, heal sick etc
    Would Paul have converted to Christianity without his experience?
    Would the Israelites have followed YHWH if he hadn't miraculously provided for them?

In the bible accounts God was very active and obvious. His interest in humankind could be clearly seen. What about now? All we get is old manuscripts in ancient languages that we have to piece together which are not even originals and we are expected to have faith... Not just any type of faith. Faith that alters the way you choose to lead your life. I really want to believe in God but increasingly I feel that if there is a God he has lost interest in us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Being born into a Jehovah's Witness family and having the Watctower doctrine drilled into me all my childhood, teen years and into my twenties I always felt I understood Gods plan. After a few revelations I came to realise JWs are just as lost as any other religion they just cover it up with "new light" and use cult tactics to induce fear to prevent you from logically questioning it. Now I am out I can see hundreds/thousands of religions and different ideas about God and how to serve him.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no right or wrong form of Chrisitianity. Anyone can pick up a bible and be sincere and come up with what he/she believes its trying to say but then another person can believe the exact opposite.

For a God who apparently designed the universe, intricate, impossible to understand in many ways, why would he expect humans to have faith in a book thousands of years old. To have faith in Christ when its over 2000 years since he walked the earth. Faith is wonderful but I really am lead to ask the question.

Would any of Jesus disciples of followed him if they didn't first hand see the miracles? Raise the dead, make wine, walk on water, heal sick etc
    Would Paul have converted to Christianity without his experience?
    Would the Israelites have followed YHWH if he hadn't miraculously provided for them?

In the bible accounts God was very active and obvious. His interest in humankind could be clearly seen. What about now? All we get is old manuscripts in ancient languages that we have to piece together which are not even originals and we are expected to have faith... Not just any type of faith. Faith that alters the way you choose to lead your life. I really want to believe in God but increasingly I feel that if there is a God he has lost interest in us.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I had immediate family that were JW's and I myself studied with them for a time, so I'll start by saying I am delighted you are out of it! They are a lean, mean brainwashing machine and its certainly not easy for members to leave, so well done and I hope that your family etc don't make things hard on you (Assuming they are still in the cult).

Leaving the JW's can feel like such a relief, that weight off your shoulders, a burden lifted. But it can leave those little doubts for a time too. Was I right? maybe it really is 'The Truth'? etc. Its part of their highly efficient brainwashing.

Anyway, moving on.

I would say, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. My own experiences with them have made me a bit of a cynic about organised religion, yet I yearn for Christian community. I think it may be my own particular scar from my exposure to them and their ways.
    All the time you have been with them, they have acted as the mediator between you and God. 'The Society', 'fed you your spiritual food at the proper time'. Unfortunately for you (and me), it was rotten. You are now spiritually malnourished.
    Your questions are now very healthy, however agnostic their twist. You are a baby again and its good to question openly.

When I have a bit more time, I'll look at tackling your question.

Advertisement