Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper Van rental

Options
  • 09-04-2010 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if yee might be able to help me. Im looking for a camper van to rent for a couple of weeks in the summer to go on a surfing trip. I have priced a couple of vans with rental companys but they are extortionately priced. I was thinking that there might be somebody in this forum willing to rent their camper to make some extra cash during the summer. I am flexible with dates. I would be willing to pay a fair price, depending on the camper etc.
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Im in limerick by the wat but would be willing to drive pretty much anywhere to pick the camper up.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Private insurance forbids the rental of campervans and insurance is the bit that makes commercial rental very expensive.

How about adding the person renting the van tempoarily to the existing insurance policy on the camper? Is it as easy as it is when it comes to adding somebody to a car-insurance policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

No offence intended but anybody I know who owns a motorhome has saved long and hard for it and I really doubt they would like their 'van being used by some surfer dude and his/her buddies. This ain't OZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Andrew33 wrote: »
    No offence intended but anybody I know who owns a motorhome has saved long and hard for it and I really doubt they would like their 'van being used by some surfer dude and his/her buddies. This ain't OZ.

Oh less of the surf dude or I'll be around with all my dude friends to point and say tut-tut.:)

But you are right - I would happly lend my van to a close friend that I was sure would take care of it but I would never rent it to a stranger - besides once money changes hand the insurance is void - even if I add your name to the policy - the best advice I can give is buy a tent or a van

• Advertisement

No offence taken at all.
    Its me and my girlfriend off to see a few beaches and do a bit of surfing. I have been looking into buying a camper myself for a long time, but with the lack of work iv had to put the dream on hold for a while. I know friends of friends who deinately "borrow/rent" from people but I suppose it would always be dificult for somebody to hand over their camper to a stranger but i said id ask. I thought there might be somebody out there in a position where they needed to make some money and were willing to rent their van. I would be leaving my car with them so there would be no doubt that i would be back with the van:D

No harm in asking i thought.

The prices the rental agencies are charging make it almost cheaper to book into hotels! But nothing beats the convenience of waking up next to the beach. Thanks for the info lads. Il keep searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

Have you tried lazydays.ie. They rent out classic vw campers. I found their prices reasonable and they're very helpful. They're based in Wicklow.

Worth a think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

I know people who have rented commercial vans and just thrown a matress in the back. Camper vans in this country are extortonate to rent. And as mentioned earlier the insurance is an issue with a private rental

Iv thought about a regular van alright but not really suitable. Want to be able to cook etc.

Il check out the other rental companies in ireland. il post a comparison of prices here. Im waiting on a friend of a friend to get back to me with a possible van that i can borrow. Fingers crossed anyways;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭meercat

• Advertisement

If im gona buy a camper the plan is to spend about 1000E on a van around the 2000 mark and convert it over myself.

That camper looks a bit dodgey!! :D

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭vinniem

Dodgy is spot on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

runman wrote: »
    If im gona buy a camper the plan is to spend about 1000E on a van around the 2000 mark and convert it over myself.

That camper looks a bit dodgey!! :D

Thanks anyway.

Don't forget the VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

runman wrote: »
    Iv thought about a regular van alright but not really suitable. Want to be able to cook etc.

Il check out the other rental companies in ireland. il post a comparison of prices here. Im waiting on a friend of a friend to get back to me with a possible van that i can borrow. Fingers crossed anyways;)

hi runman,did you get around to doing the rental price comparison list yet?
    that would be interesting ;-)

regards,

kevin. www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BunkCampers

Yes it most certainly would be interesting to see Runman! Have you got the comparision from your research?

Only had time to check with 3 places. Peak season works out at 1000E a week.:confused: I wouldnt ever pay that kind of money, so i stopped looking. For a 1000E i could have a week in portugal surfing with spending money.
    Il be borrowing a camper instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kirryman

I am in the process of getting a Toyota Previa / Lucida MPV ready for hire. Its not a campervan but will have sleeping space for 2 and camping/cooking equipment included. You can pm me if you think it may be suitable. Not sure how much details im allowed put up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kirryman

Our 8 seater / 2 berth FESTIVAN just had its first outing! Very successful weekend at Vantastival campervan festival in Co. Louth.

www.irishire.com

Advertisement