Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Resubscribe Poll

Options
  • 08-04-2010 10:47pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, i've a boring weekend ahead, and i'm thinking of resubbing to one of the many MMO's that have been gathering dust on my shelf/hard drive, to see if they've improved at all. And i'm going to let you lot decide for me. Basically, which one has improved most since launch. So vote, and help me cure my weekend of boredom!

Bah, i need more work on creating polls!

Which MMO will i try again? 19 votes

Lord of the Rings Online
    0% 0 votes
    Warhammer Online
    31% 6 votes
    Age of Conan
    10% 2 votes
    Darkfall
    21% 4 votes
    Champions Online
    36% 7 votes
    Eve Online
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Darkfall gets my vote. My pc cant handle it, so I enjoy hearing about people's tales of adventure!

Conan got a good patch I heard though too, that would be my second vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kiith Im back in AoC atm and its turned into a pretty cool MMO.

Champions online has had bugger all added but 1 zone and is pretty much on life support tbh.

Warhammer is said to be even worse these days with devs working on removing the PvE side of the game slowly but surely not to mention once a game has to use a free to play option you know its on its last legs. Down from 60+ servers at launch to 4 I can see War turning to a F2P setup soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LOTRO or AOC would be my vote.

LOTRO always had a nice community mainly into PVE,i tried a few of the welcome back weeks and while it was fun the place was empty with literally everyone at high level or endgame.
    AOC could be worth a look too.

You could take the route i have since i quit MMOs, im playing and thoroughly enjoying single player RPGs,i cant get enough of them.
    Currently playing Dragon Age Origins and its frikking epic to say the least.
    Nothing beats being in control of every single spell,attack,move etc from every character in your party.
    Im seriously having a blast with it.
    Finished Mass Effect over the weekend [was superb] in anticipation of Mass Effect 2 which arrived this morning, might start it later on tonight for a quick looksie.

I got DAO for 19 euro and MA2 for 17 euro on play, serious bargains.

Then again Kiith knowing you as a longtime gamer i suspect you may have played them already?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

In terms of games that have improved the most since launch, my vote would have to be Age of Conan or Warhammer. But that is mostly a commentary on their state at launch, rather than how good they are right now.

Darkfall is still an awesome game, but it is so hard to rekindle the lost love that you once had. Maybe if you can encourage a few people to go back to it, you'd last longer than I did.

Beyond that I'd reflect pretty much everything else said.
    Champions Online hasn't changed much, but then I quite liked it to begin with I just couldn't get others to give it a go and I don't last with MMOs long without people to play it with.

EvE Online? Well, most likely the reason you quit in the first place has not changed in the slightest and you'll get highly caught up in it until you come to the startling realisation that you hate the game and quit again.

With all that said, I would vote Darkfall, though only because I want more people to go back so I can get back into it properly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I actually did what Dcully suggested, and have started going through the single player games that i have missed out on over the past year or so. Finally go around to finishing Valkyria Chronicles, and have started Assassins Creed 2 (which is excellent). Heacy Rain, Uncharted 2 and Final Fantasy XIII are next. I think i might just take a break from all MMO's for the time being. Hopefully Jumpgate/Black Prophecy or The Old Republic will tempt me back.

• Advertisement

Assassins Creed 2 is another for my list aswell as Fallout3.
    I cant reccomend Mass Effect 1 and 2 and Dragon Age Origins enough to you if you havent played them.
    Also worth mentioning is Borderlands and if your into diablo like RPGs try Torchlight, i got it for 4 euro on steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Torchlight is great, well recommended.

As for MMORPG, I'd suggest Age of Conan, purely for selfish reasons since I've it reinstalled on my box and all patched up. Lotro is great, but the lack of PvP content is its major failing in my view, though if you're more into the PvE side I'd suggest trying that, you can level fairly fast on the lower levels these days.

What server are you on Venom ? I'm hoping to resub this week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote: »
    Assassins Creed 2 is another for my list aswell as Fallout3.
    I cant reccomend Mass Effect 1 and 2 and Dragon Age Origins enough to you if you havent played them.
    Also worth mentioning is Borderlands and if your into diablo like RPGs try Torchlight, i got it for 4 euro on steam.
    I've lost count of the amount of times i've cleared Mass Effect 1, and am looking forward to my total-prick play through of ME2. Played through Dragon Age again recently with my Elf Rogue, which was a nice change of pace.

If its got Bioware on it, you can be sure i've played it :P

As for MMORPG, I'd suggest Age of Conan, purely for selfish reasons since I've it reinstalled on my box and all patched up. Lotro is great, but the lack of PvP content is its major failing in my view, though if you're more into the PvE side I'd suggest trying that, you can level fairly fast on the lower levels these days.

I expect a full report of your impressions on my desk Monday morning :)
    Im more of a pve whore myself and quite enjoyed AOC until i hit the later levels.
    I loved playing the priest of mitra but found the pvp to be weird,on one occasion i was ganked by two guys over and over while i tried to quest only for the same two guys to be in a party for a dungeon later on.
    When im ganked i never want to help the culprits in any way.
    Id be tempted to try it again on a pve server.

Yeah Kiith Bioware rule tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I recently resubbed to FFXI, finding it better than I did back around 2004, but at the same time the reduced population means that the auction house seems to be much less active and, as a result, due to a combination of price of items on offer and slow rate of sale makes keeping my gil balence up far more difficult.
    Still, think I'll stick to it for a while.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

I would say Warhammer Online purely because of the awesome changes they are making to the endgame. Read more here. :)

http://forums.warhammeronline.com/warhammer/board/message?board.id=dev_discussions&thread.id=8243

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Ivan wrote: »

EvE Online? Well, most likely the reason you quit in the first place has not changed in the slightest and you'll get highly caught up in it until you come to the startling realisation that you hate the game and quit again.

Hah so true... but the nice new trailers that are released every expansion make you wonder though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Anyone tried out the SWG freeservers or WoWUO by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Im on Crom the PvE server.

Have an 80 Conq, 50 Necro and 47 Barb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Not to drag this thread off-topic, but I have to know. Why do people like Torchlight so much?

I've been putting off playing it for ages, due to having a brief go at a friends one evening and not being overly impressed. I've run out of games to play lately and so finally gave it a proper go myself. No story, the skill system is boring and the sound effects are ripped right out of Diablo and that seems to be pretty much it.

If you want a great Diablo clone, try Din's Curse or Depths of Peril.

Ugly games, but the gameplay is fantastic. Depths of Peril sees you competing against AI adventurers and it has a whole guild system, whereby you can recruit other AI adventurers to join your party and take part in a whole Guild vs. Guild system.

Din's Curse is even better in my opinion, offering 6 classes to choose from with 3 very distinctive talent trees for each class the game then offers you the option of creating your own hybrid class using any 2 talent trees from any of the 6 base classes.

The AI is fantastic, random item generator, random quest generator, random map generator and co-op play. The only thing you could ask for is a better graphics engine, but personally that wasn't even a factor when I got into the games properly.

And just to have something resembling an on-topic comment... I think I might go back to Age of Conan for a bit too...

Im keen to hear form a few who have gone back to Age of Conan.
    I enjoyed it until i hit lvl 50 and found there was little content,not to mention the insane amount of bugged dungeons and quests.
    To this day i still rate the healing in AOC to be better than anything else out there.
    I loved playing my priest of mitra and positioning myself to get off the group heals.
    Anyone any experience of dungeons and raids as you level up and endgame?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Dcully wrote: »
    Im keen to hear form a few who have gone back to Age of Conan.
    I enjoyed it until i hit lvl 50 and found there was little content,not to mention the insane amount of bugged dungeons and quests.
    To this day i still rate the healing in AOC to be better than anything else out there.
    I loved playing my priest of mitra and positioning myself to get off the group heals.
    Anyone any experience of dungeons and raids as you level up and endgame?

I anticipate a special Lotro anniversary offer coming out in the next week(24/4) to attract ex-players back Cully if you can hold off. It does lack in the end game content but unless you would classify yourself as a true hardcore player you will still find plenty to do. Hard to believe that this was my first dip into the world of MMOs and three years on and I am still going strong.

Advertisement