Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct network connection > 100m (Cat5e/6)

Options
  • 08-04-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I have a requirement to connect two computers which are over 100 metres apart. I'm just wondering what my options are now.

I'm aware of some options which are:
    • Use fibre cable, which I have no experience with and i'm sure will be very expensive.
    • Use wifi and directional antennas to boost signal. Not sure of cost but may be the most cost effective solution.
    • Use coax cable for the run. Need converters which may be pricey.
    • Use CAT5 cable but inject with power to feed a bridge half way across to extend range. Not sure of cost here either or how practical it is.

So, if anybody has experience solving this kind of problem i'd love to hear from you. Alslo, if you can give a guidline of cost too it would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Is there anywhere in between (even a closet or above ceiling tiles) you can stick something to break up the cable run (repeater/hub/bridge/switch)? Or are you talking about connecting two separate buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

It's two seperate buildings. Nothing between them only grass and a post and rail fence.

I'm thinking that wireless might be the best option.
    I wonder would I need 1 or 2 directional antennas, anybody know how much they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Wireless may be your best option if there is no easy way of linking the two buildings together.

If you could dig a little trench you could hide some flexi tubing and run indoor/outdoor Cat5 - you can get away with a little more than 100m on a run but I probably would not push it past 140/150m without something to connect the two. You could put a small switch just before it exits one building and another when it enters or similar...

In terms of Wireless - I have a number of building to building links, but have always used 2" dish antenna's as the area we are in is fairly soaked in wireless. The think you will find though is that the cable to connect the antenna to the wireless unit will be as expensive if not more pricey than the antenna's !

Given they are so close though a directional Yagi should do the job nicely - probably about €100 or so. Though if you are putting it on the outside or top of a building it may be worth putting on a lightening arrestor if your in an area prone to it.

Ok, wireless it is so.

Those Yagi antennas look like the job if they can be got worth the money.

I just looked for "yagi" on ebay and this came up. would two of these pointed at each other suit me? Then I'd just a wifi router and a wifi bridge (with ext. aerial sockets).

Would these antennas be any good?

2 of that type would be good - try and find out the exact model and lookup the manual - it should have the signal profile and you can see all from there.

It would also be useful to find the bridge first and match the antenna to the bridge - that one you linked to looks like it has a very small F connector and I would want to have a good look at it first.

Something like http://cgi.ebay.ie/cisco-air-br350-e-k9-Wireless-bridge_W0QQitemZ250606929521QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Networking_SM?hash=item3a59564671 would be the job as a bridge - you would usually need 2 bridges unless your router could act as a bridge as well (something like RDS ? ).

The one real problem in using a high(er) gain antenna on some of the more consumer stuff is that they will eventually die out from overpowing the antenna. So some commercial grade stuff a generation or two old off eBay would be a better long term bet.

Wireless bridges are great when they work and a pain in you backside when they go wrong so it may cost a little extra to get the commercial stuff but it's worth it for the lack of pain!

• Advertisement

Ok, I think i'll go with two of those aerials.

I'll probably go for two of those type bridges aswell as that will probably make for the most flexibility.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Use two of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Use two of these.

Have used these in both 5GHz and 2.4GHz format and can highly recommend them.

MC

Have used these in both 5GHz and 2.4GHz format and can highly recommend them.

MC

Those don't look bad at that price. What else is required with them? What kind of connections have they etc? Also, whats the range on them?

Does anybody have the product PDF as the link is broken on the site?

Thanks.

Ubiquiti Networks Two datasheets on left of page. Range of about 5km (LOS).
    I'm currently running an IP camera over a 120 meter non LOS link with one Loco2 and one Nano2. Lots of interference around here but usually manages around 10 megabits.

• Advertisement

Ok, i'm sold on those Loco2 antennas.

I'm guessing these are indoor only so i'll just stick hem on the two windows facing each other which are about 600 feet apart.

Also, how are these powered? Is it only via POE, is that hard to setup?

Can these be plugged directly into a NIC in a pc if needed or must the go to a router first?

Also, I noticed that the RJ45 jack is CAT5. I only have CAT6 lying around. will this work?

Other than the ethernet cable (and maybe router) is there anything else I will need to get these up and running?

Oh and thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

They are designed for indoor and outdoor use, mine are after putting up with some rain....
    Powered by POE which is handy for long cable runs (one cable from Loco which goes to POE injector and then one cable from injector to power supply and then ethernet cable from injector to router/computer.
    Definetley easier to setup if you have a router or switch.

Ok, so i'm going to order these things now.

I'm going to order two of these along with two Linksys WRT54G wireless routers..

All I need after that is just patch cables to go from the Loco2 to the routers.

I'm going to mount one of the antennas externally then the other will be behind a window but still have LOS.

Cheers.

What do you need the two Linksys routers for?

I need one for both ends of connection. Also I will need general wifi cover in both areas.

Side 1: server, Loco2, office pc
    Side 2: office pc, Loco2

Ok, guys..

I just setup 2 Nanostations along with 4 (yes, 4!..) WRT54GL routers in a number of different configurations with numerous bridges etc..

All I can say is wow.. these bad boys are insane and really easy to setup..

I can highly recommend them to anybody.

If anybody want any more details just ask..

Cheers for all your help guys..

--Techguy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yeah, I have one setup for a client on the outside of the building next to the coast and it never flinches, great bit of kit and you can flash them with DD-WRT too if you want even more choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just saw this thread now, don't want to hijack the thread but looks like it's on the same lines really. While Wifi connections are fine (have one already setup between 3 houses) they are kinda slow for moving large files.
    Thought about it for awhile as I will need to do this type of connection in the coming year or so with a new house build (fingers crossed!!!).

If yea threw another point into the mix - to have a (very) fast/reliable and free of interference connection.
    techguy wrote: »
    • Use fibre cable, which I have no experience with and i'm sure will be very expensive.

Doesn't look that expensive really - yea just need a media converter to convert from CAT5/6 RJ45 to fibre - I'm sure there would be a cost issue between single mode and multi mode and also the distances they could travel. Speeds of 100Mb/s easily, maybe even 1000Mb/s if yea can spend the money to get single mode media converters and single mode fibre run. Also, would need to ensure the media converter could drive the 100 or so meters :)
    • Use wifi and directional antennas to boost signal. Not sure of cost but may be the most cost effective solution.

Cheap, but LOS ideally and can be subject to interference no? Prob wouldn't be able to get more than 100Mb/s
    • Use coax cable for the run. Need converters which may be pricey.
    • Use CAT5 cable but inject with power to feed a bridge half way across to extend range. Not sure of cost here either or how practical it is.
    Copper route is a no-no if the buildings are separate as I remember from my networking learning days - believe your not meant to have a circuit of any sort between builds that have separate electrical circuits.

Anyone have more input on this who has more experience with fibre driving, media converters etc?

kerbdog wrote: »
    I'm sure there would be a cost issue between single mode and multi mode and also the distances they could travel. Speeds of 100Mb/s easily, maybe even 1000Mb/s if yea can spend the money to get single mode media converters and single mode fibre run. Also, would need to ensure the media converter could drive the 100 or so meters :)

If your talking about shorter distances - in and around sub 300m multimode is a good choice. However the multimode cable does seem to be a little more expensive than single mode at the moment and you would have to offset the differencial price in the media converters.

In terms of the Media converters, we have a few sets that set us back about €100 for the pair so not that expensive - and they are the gig sets. Picked them up from Wood Communications if my memory serves me.

kerbdog wrote: »
    Copper route is a no-no if the buildings are separate as I remember from my networking learning days - believe your not meant to have a circuit of any sort between builds that have separate electrical circuits.

Yep - not a good idea for various reasons mainly around earthing I seem to recall but am open to correction!

The other thing in using fibre is getting the right cable - if you are running it in an duct that may flood or freeze you will want to make sure you get indoor/outdoor cable suitable for the duct. If there is a significant rodent risk or it's under a heavily used area you may want to consider armoured or rodent resistant cable.

Then you will have to add on the costs for termination etc.

The good news is that most bulk suppliers will have rolls of offcuts from other jobs that you may be able to buy from at a significant discount etc.

Advertisement