Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lardlord refusing to repay deposit

Options
  • 08-04-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I recently moved out of a shared rented property after five years at the landlords request with only a months notice (notice should be 112 days after this period of tenancy) but we cleaned the house and moved out on the date agreed. Landlord came to house to take back keys nad he told us there was many things to fix in the property which is false and when i challenged him with reporting him to PTRB he laughed and said he isnt a resident so i am wasting my time!! I have got a pps number for him to claim my rent relief but supposedly its his FATHERS pps.
    I have contacted him regarding getting my deposit back and he asked for my email address so he can explain everything in email so i tried texting it to him 3 days ago but phone is switched off.
    I am fairly certain he isnt a registed landlord and skipped tax for the time we were residents in the house
    Please help as i am not sure what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If he is a non resident landlord then you should have withheld tax at 20% on your rent.

I hate dodgy feckers like this. The first port of call is the PRTB. Ring them and give them the address and all the details of the landlord. They will investigate and if he is indeed a non resident (which I doubt) or not paying taxes due then they will prosecute him.

Also NEVER hand over the keys without getting your deposit back. It is practically impossible to remove tenants legally if they refuse to go. He would have to take you to court for non payment of rent and evicition. NO deposit back, no move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stemacker76

thanks for that i will ring the PTRB on Monday and hopefully we can get something out of him
    thanks again

Advertisement