Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APB Beta Keys Available. But be fast!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Nice one, was looking for a key since Fileplanet spam let me know the beta was starting... this should be great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I played a bit of the Fileplanet Beta on Sunday. Seemed cool enough but my laptop was too slow to handle it even at low res. You need a *lot* of GFX memory (at least 512MB I'd say).

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Had a beta account since beta was launched but never played it yet.
    Like 8gb download or something for a couple hours testing.

Too much for me. Gonna hold off untill I hear its worth it

Gave this a go. I must admit I wasn't very impressed at first. This is mostly because the whole tutorial is like 5 of the most boring GTA missions pasted together and altogether does little to teach you the game and does even less to make you like the game.

That said, once you get past that and start getting into the actual meat of the game i.e. the "Dispatch Missions" the game becomes a whole other kettle of fish.

The mission system is a little bizarre, especially compared to your generic Quest Clone MMO, of which there are a multitude to choose from. Instead of speaking to an NPC to start a mission, an NPC contacts you and offers you something to do. You get very little information about the quest until you accept it and by then it's too late to change your mind unless you want to take a hit to your reputation with that particular contact.

Complete more missions for a particular contact and s/he'll offer you more difficult missions with better rewards.

The joy of the game comes rapidly after joining your first dispatch mission, whereby you are opposing another player (or group of players), either trying to complete your mission while they do their best to stop you, or often more enjoyable; stop them completing theirs.

Not much else to the game and I can see myself become quite bored with it very quickly. There is a whole slew of upgrades for your weapons, armour, looks, vehicle/etc./etc./ad nauseam. Not really for me, but if you completed GTA 1-4 and were left asking for more, then this game is absolutely for you.

For everyone else, you will undoubtedly get your money's worth when it launches, but if you are still uncertain then I'd hold off or try get into one of the betas before parting with your cash; but I think that applies for every* MMO in this day and age.

A feature I didn't get to see in the Beta, but that really impressed me in the videos I saw, was the Last FM system. If you are walking or driving around and see, or rather hear, someone driving around. It'll play a song from your collection that is similar to the genre of the music they're playing. In effect, you can find and meet people in-game based on music taste which is already a greater indicator of whether they'll be a complete tool or not.

All in all, a very City of Heroes vibe for me with the random battles (though mostly involving player vs. player, unlike CoH) but without the fun powers.

* - Does not apply to The Old Republic MMO, which will be Jesus Christ incarnate as an MMO with Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have yet to get online since i got my key last friday. whats the deal with the servers closing at 5 :confused:

• Advertisement

If anyone is still looking to try this out, please let me know as I was just emailed an invite a friend key. First to reply here will get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll take one. I got a code from the someone who got one of Eurogamer recently, but couldnt get it working.

PM me your email address and I'll forward it on. It's worth a go, even if it's only open on Sundays for a few hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ivan wrote: »
    PM me your email address and I'll forward it on. It's worth a go, even if it's only open on Sundays for a few hours...

Aye, I got in on the beta action last night with a couple of friends, definitely great craic, not sure about its longetivity, but its defo a blast, and I am looking forward to the next Beta session.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've an invite available. First to respond on thread asking for it, can have it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I only got to play about 10 minutes after getting back home, but i too think it could be good fun. Obviously not going to say much (NDA and all) but with a few people to play with, i see some fun in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ill have that spear if you dont mind, pm me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

weeder wrote: »
    ill have that spear if you dont mind, pm me.

PM me an email address then and it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Anyone have a spare Furious Fighters key lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

Anybody got a spare key they could give me , wanna give this beta a pop:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anybody got a spare key they could give me , wanna give this beta a pop:D

There are 7,920 keys remaining out of 10,000 on http://gamers.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=87022

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

Varik wrote: »
    There are 7,920 keys remaining out of 10,000 on http://gamers.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=87022

Sweet,thanks for the link man :)

Advertisement